Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel at my most attractive when my boyfriend and I high-five after both getting an answer right while watching Jeopardy.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Women with dark lipstick during the workweek. Women with edgy haircuts. Women who look effortless (i.e. women who hide their effort better than I do).
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who present themselves as more androgynous than I do because I see it as a vivid self-affirmation.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I distinctly remember the realization that my hair looked better when I didn't dye, curl or blow-dry it. Now I just bobbypin the parts that fall into my face, which is hardly "styling". I'm happier with a lack of style.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
"Dress your shape". What a crock of shit.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
If it works, keep doing it. If it can be improved, improve it. If it doesn't work and it can't be improved, have a pickle.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I buy a top in multiple colors if it fits well. I have trouble finding tops that fit well, and I know that the anxiety I associate with clothes shopping prevents me from doing it sometimes. On some level, it's a comfort thing, like "Aha! I've found the one shirt that could possible wrangle my tits and torso in at once! Hallelujah!"
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I refuse the 90s revival. It wasn't flattering to anyone then, and it isn't now. Also, flat-brim hats.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Nana taught me the beauty of a big-ass hat.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I went through phases in high school, particularly because I was deep in depression and felt disconnected and Bright Eyes-y.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Probably inadvertently. I'm certain that, because I dress for my own pleasure/comfort and don't adhere 100% to traditional beauty standards, it might be easy to guess I lean liberal, but I can't prove it.
16. Please describe your body.
5'9". Thick hourglass. 34FF. Long torso, shorter legs.
17. Please describe your mind.
Winding. Sometimes repetitive. Sometimes difficult.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I skew anxious, but I find the humor in bleak situations.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Skirt to the knees, tank top. Liquid eyeliner, mascara, tinted moisturizer, chapstick. Parted on the side, bobbypinned out of my face.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's important in that we tie our sense of outward presentations to personality/worth/human-ness.