Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
stylish and trendily dressed women
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
cliche but women who aren't afraid to do their own thing
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
in grade 12 wearing hippy shirt, tight black mini skirt , dr. marten cherry coloured boots, and blackberry lipstick. i was emulating my sister but had finally found something that i felt good in.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
sometimes buying something i can't really afford that i MUST have! but not spending over $100
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
i wear what i want and sometimes it is weird. i don't recommend other people dress "weird" but wear what they are comfortable in
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
when i was a kid, i wanted my mom to dress all sophisticated , like business wear and high heeled boots and winter white skirts and stuff. that was not her, she was more likely to wear things that were super comfortable to her like velour track suits. i love being comfortable too.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
upon occasion taken ideas from friends, family, magazines. like sassy magazine especially. blue clogs with daisies painted on them. i did that!
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
i kind of changed from preppy to punk. it was a natural evolution for me.
16. Please describe your body.
petite, large chest, bigish belly, flat butt. trying not to hate on self.
17. Please describe your mind.
interesting, creative, prone to anxiety and suffering but also highly creative
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
hair down, curly with coconut oil in it that i haven't yet washed out. t-shirt with natural skincare brand dr. hauchka insignia on it and fancy blue track pants, barefeet
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
i think i have both.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
i have decorating and art making style
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
i think sometimes i do regard an outfit like armour. if i feel well put together and stylish that helps a bit psychologically
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
i do know what i like. definitely with clothes. in other areas i know what i like but sometimes i doubt myself
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
growing up middle class in the 80's i was used to getting new clothes and doing recreational shopping
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
i like pretty make-up and hair and cool clothes
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
never a good idea to buy something that doesn't fit in hopes that it will someday fit
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
if i am feeling healthy and well and happy, i like to dress well. often i am dressing for comfort tho
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
it depends where i am going
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
i don't like wearing button down shirts
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
jewish. i think clothes were important at our jewish camp and stuff
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
make-up and washed hair makes me feel more professional for work
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
sometimes i won't wear my nametag ;)
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
would not like to wear a uniform
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
flat chests are nice. clothes hang nicely on men and women with flat chests
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
uggggh or yay depending on which photo
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
used to like chloe sevigny's style
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
i dreamt of my friend wearing a skirt that was like a lined piece of paper
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
anything with uncomfortably high heels
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
flat chest with curvy hips. bodysuits
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
only wear natural stuff. love jasmine essential oil.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
bathe. wear clean clothes.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
i am tired of jumpsuits. i prefer coordinates.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
a bunch of vintage dressy clothes that my sister has gotten me. some new dressy clothes. jeans, etc.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
pink shorts coordinates set
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
betsey johnson floral dress with bell sleeves. it was beautiful. i must have given it away. it probably wouldn't fit me but i still think of it. also, i had these toeless boots last summer that fell apart. i miss them!!
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
pink coordinate short suit
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
expensive shoes. i haven't worn them for a few years but i know i will wear them again.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
this white suit by a company called WOLVES. zipped up jacket with red canadian flags on the top and pants with white on white stripes. wore it with sky blue tie-dyed cloud looking bodysuit and red ballet flats.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
super comfy clothes that are stylish, made of track suit material and nice flats or wedges without annoying details on them
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
sometimes things get messy. lots of stuff stuffed into my drawers and closet.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
sometimes online or in person
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
i want the life that on a good day i am dressing myself for. like living in nyc and being a performance artist and a comedy writer and a stylish energy healer
80. How does money fit into all this?
i don't want to buy clothes all the time. that is a waste of time to me. just every so often. i want to wear and enjoy what i have. having said this i do love getting new clothes sometimes.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
i carry my entire make-up bag every day.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
sometimes i worry about my weight
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
i remember wearing a shirt that said "flower power" on it. and i was a fast runner and kids crowded around me chanting flower power. it was awesome!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
born in western canada
live in toronto
What kind of work do you do?
aromatherapist, health food store employee, artist
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
married with one child
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
it was fun but i feel slightly vulnerable
Lisa Smolkin is an aromatherapist that works in a health food store in Toronto. She is in the process of becoming a certified Bach Flower Practitioner (for natural stress balancing.) She also is a performance artist who's working themes are self-identity, insecurity, and magical thinking.