Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When my pants fit.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice and admire women with confidence.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes but it isn't a proud moment. I finally learned how to straighten my wild Italian hair and the thing that "clicked" was that I realized I have control over how I look to some extent. It isn't just chance.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Buying cheap clothes because I can't possibly be this fat forever.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I haven't had one yet.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
"Yoga pants" because I've had 2 kids and sometimes nothing fits. And dresses because they don't have a waist-line.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
My sister still wears a necklace I gave her all the time which is a huge compliment because she doesn't like anything else.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Healed short boots -- are they called "shoots?" They look like faun feet.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother is very controlling about her weight and what she eats. I'm not.
Although her sense of fashion is primarily based on comfort and, sadly, as is mine.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My sister gave me all her "fat clothes."
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
After college, my sense of fashioned stopped being governed by humor.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Maybe -- I like to wear handmade jewelry maybe, in part, because I like to look like someone who is less main-stream.
16. Please describe your body.
Average and constantly fluctuating. I'm shortish and hairy. Sometimes I'm pretty fit when I spend all my energy applied to exercise. But I'm curvy and have a fantastically big booty.
17. Please describe your mind.
Witty, creative, with a terrible long-term memory.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Just barely controlled.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Gym clothes. High messy bun. No make-up.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's about how the world perceives me. It's about how I perceive myself. It is about how I carry myself and how my children view me (and then view themselves).
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Friends, husband, family
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Nope. I wish I could wear a uniform.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1978. Born in Brooklyn. Live in NJ.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
4th generation in US -- all Italian. Upper middle class. Well educated.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married. 2 kids.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I'm a recovering housewife in the suburbs of NJ with 2 children who has an on again off again relationship with exercise.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I enjoyed it.