Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When the "ends" of me are finished, no matter what I'm wearing. By this I mean neat nails, styled hair, and some mascara.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Striking color combos or great sihlouette of an outfit...like great architectural structure overall. And awesome shoes. I'm a sucker for shoes.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Stands straight up, smiles straight up, and laughs straight up. All of the above without hesitation no matter the scenerio.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Probably like sophomore year of college. Actually about the time I met my now-husband. I changed from a pallet of earth tones to experimenting with pops of bold colors, because he dressed that way. And he had more shoes in his closet than I did (honestly at the time, not too hard to do), so that had to be corrected. I loved how the change made me feel. A new confidence. It didn't hurt that Pinterest and Polyvore rolled into the picture about the same time.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I typically only buy things which I can wear to work first, and transition for evening later. If it's dual purpose I can justify spending a little more.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I try to avoid wearing flesh tones. I'm partial to jewel tones and primary colors.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Camisoles, because so many tops require a second layer. Skinny jeans in as many colors as possible. Comfy leggings and tights.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
If there are cats or ironic sayings involved...always a great gift.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mom was always very au naturale, very budget conscious, and opted for classic styles. She always refused to participate in trends if they, for instance, gave you an unbecoming silhouette...maybe cut you off or made you look wide or shapeless. If she knew what I spent on my wardrobe and make up today she'd probably be shocked, but I imitate her advice for the most part on everything else.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Sure! My little sisters and best friends...I love to "borrow" elements of their style.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm 5'8", taller than average and slenderish with lanky appendages. Have been accused of bony butt, knees, and elbows all my life. However, I'm not stick straight...somehow still hour-glassy with a small chest, wide-ish ribcage, long torso, small waist and hips to balance that out. Though I'm deeply greatful for my desk job, I'm finding four years have made keeping fit a challenge.
17. Please describe your mind.
If I could catch up with it, I'd write it down.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I can flare up and calm down at the drop of a hat.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Cowboy boots, skinny jeans, cami, sweater, pendant necklace, wayfairers. No makeup except for last night's mascara. My hair is its regular curly and thrown up in a ponytail to beat the AM Austin humidity.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I'm dressed for makimum comfort (flying to California today) but also cute enough that I could go out when we land after a touch of make up.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I've gotten some pricy outdoor gear that I haven't had the time to use.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Sure! Anywhere I can get creative, I'll style it.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Lately I've been trying to systemize a routine of steps. Putting together an outfit the night before really should be one of them. ;-) Dresses are easiest because I don't need to worry about matching anything. I suppose I'm considering efficiency, practicality, and comfort for a desk job in a cubicle where I work with an internal team. Rarely do I need to dress to impress a client.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
I want to look older, professional, and well put together. I'm the youngest employee in my office...I want my older colleagues to recognize I have the maturity to handle major assignments.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
"Dressing up" means additional make up, a professional manicure/pedicure, 45 minutes on the hair, and a badass outfit. "Dressing" means putting on whatever's handiest and makes the most sense for the day's activity.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Select dresses which aren't clingy that are in a classic style, preferably with a sleeve and have a gem knee length or right above. Neutral dusting of make up. Naturally curly hair straightened or teased wavy and pulled half back or in a bun.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Yessss! Sometimes I envy my husband because he can just select a button down, complimentary slacks and belt and be done. Women have greater acreage to shave, brush, style...and then we have to balance a situation appropriate outfit and shoe. Not to mention jewelry. Don't get me wrong, I love the finished product, but hate the time investment required.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
For the most part, providing I feel put together going in.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I surprise myself with how big a smile I have sometimes!
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Haha. Crop tops or mini dresses.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
My wedding dress. Obviously sentimental...I bought a style that I could transform into a wearable special occasion piece, but I can't decide if I want to alter it or donate it.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
High quality classic pieces that have great utility but aren't a pain to wash. Things that don't require tons of care like major ironing.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
At the moment- the perfect riding boots.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
May 28, 1989. Born in San Antonio, Texas, and now residing in Austin, Texas.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
My roots are half western European (French, German, Irish), and half eastern European (Polish, Hungarian).
What kind of work do you do?
I'm a marketing manager for Austin's largest outdoor festival.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?