Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
After I've showered after I been exercising
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Very slim worm with those asymmetrical hemp clothing tops,and wide culottes pants
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
When they wear bright colours, clothes that look worn, vintage, classic.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
No, that has never happened
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Shopping after you've had a few glasses of wine at lunch
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I wear baggy oversized clothes, because I think it makes me look slim.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I never have
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Feel comfortable, in your clothes or otherwise.if you are uncomfortable about something, it's a sign to be careful and attentive.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Button down blouses, all colours, preferably black, or white, or un patterned.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes, I pitched on on a handmade jewellery piece for a friend for their birthday and they always wear it.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Short shorts, stiletto heels,overly revealing clothing
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother passed away when I was five. She was tall statuesque and broad shouldered. She looked goos in Navy blue and wore Capri pants, I also do that.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My sister, I like to wear culottes type pants.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I started art school, I started dressing in goodwill clothes, army pants, old men's coats, slouch caps.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I try not to buy clothes made in Bangladesh, China.I try to shop at the Goodwill
16. Please describe your body.
225lbs. 5'7", large breasted, muscular legs and forearms, swarthy,Italian / Native.
17. Please describe your mind.
Struggleling with Addiction, food, alcohol. Attentive to small details, overlook the big picture a lot,love of Art, music, people .
18. Please describe your emotions.
Mostly cheerful and humorous , fiercely angry at times, somewhat depressed occasionally .
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Adidas black track pants,light blue t-shirt with a bicycle on it, my hair is not even brushed yet today(Saturday morning at home)
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I like clothing, I like seeing people dressed nice, it was a big part of growing up in my family( of French heritage)
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My co- worker and friend
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Of course. I think it's very important to dress well in order to be respectful of certain institutions.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
No , I do not think I have either and I'm okay with that.they are just cultural things.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A belt from Holts are free for 80.- , to go with a dress that cost 22.-( it was on sale) I could never wear that belt with anything else.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes,when I first moved out, I would wear mannish looking clothing when I went out at night
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I don't have it, I m not sure why.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother always told me not to under dress, to not wear worn looking things or unclean clothes.I try to do that in my life.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I try to get my hair done, I wear brighter fancier clothing.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
These words mean a lot of te me. If I am wearing clothing I am uncomfortable in then I feel no confidence
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Be comfortable, express yourself, be proud.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Not really. It depends on if it's a tried an true thing, that I normally feel comfortable in.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
They are practical, no fuss type of person.they aren't trying to be in the limelight, they want to seem friendly and approachable
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Comfort, not too shabby looking.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To look like I am on task , ready to do the job.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up is when I go to a special occasion, party, gathering of friends. Dressing, is when I'm just going to work .
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Tan coloured slacks,(preferably cotton) Navy blue top ( blouse,t-shirt, golf shirt)
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Casual, is me, sexy is not
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
In my household growing up ,designer fashion clothing was really important to my parents( from France)I was taught to own at least a few items of very fancy expensive clothing to wear for important occasions. It's influenced me as far as trying to impress the same thing on my family( husband and 17 yr. old son) but I've been mostly unsuccessful . As a result I've dialled that sort of thing back in the way I dress.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I was a lot more careless about what I wore,because , clothes looked a lot better on me( Slimmer then)
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I pay a lot to get my hair done . I wear clean, new clothes, I try nt to wear anything out of the ordinary.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
Rebel, I try to keep it low key ,my co- worker dresses in a lot more revealing clothing( She is younger , unmarried)
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
I wear cycling gear , tight cycling tights, jerseys and windbreaker, when I ride my bike.
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
Yes, I'm a bit too old to wear such tight clothing, but they are the most comfortable for cycling.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
It's feels kinda constrained when I'm in a ship or somewhere, but it's sure nice when you're riding
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Looses tan slacks and loose dark blue shirt. It is not really in fashion or out.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Yes, that is totally how I've always liked dressing and yes, I do wish I had less of a full woman's figure.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Not sure what era, but those Ralph Lauren ads where every one has those loose flowing blouses out of linen and the colours are very basic, white, taupe, light blue...
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Compared to some people yes, but I'm quite heavy so no in some other photos( next to thinner people) I think my face is pleasant.i think I have a good smile.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
That I am passable
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
I like the Katherine Hepburn style, even though I do not have to body.and I admire her spirit of boyish fearlessness.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
All the time.i dream of clothes I can't afford. When I was a poor student, I would dream of black Doc Martens, black leather jackets, black 501 Levis
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
A sexier look.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Bright white linen blouses, long flowing skirts.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I work at job sites where there are mostly men and so I dress in loose worn, work man like clothing, in dull colours. I noticed that if I don't , I get treated differently. I get stared at or flirted with and it's annoying.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
No, I would like young girls to dress abit less revealing, but at the same time I can appreciate that if you have a nice body it is your right and probably your pleasure to dress that way. I just find that men tend to treat women who dress that way as a sex object and a thing to be stared at.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love cologne. I think perfume is wonderful. I wear a cologne that I bought in France , that I try to get everytime I go. It's just a simple eau to toilette called, " Bien-etre" that you. Can buy at any grocery store, but in love putting it on after washing, it smells so fresh and it also doesn't last very long ,so it is not a strong smell.i can appreciate the overwhelming smells that some people might not like.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Bathe, have them fit properly,flatter me with the fit or colour.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I wear make up on special occasions . Mostly social occasions.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Like before, yes, I think I'm expected to dress in a more feminine fashion.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Mostly Sensible , hopefully good quality, somewhat dressy at times.i have been given several pieces of jewellery over the years. I almost never wear any of it, been my wedding rig,( work does not permit me to wear rings)
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My new black culottes stretchy Lulu Lemon style.
My favorite jewellery is a pendant my husband gave me when I was pregnant, it's a simple ring type shape with a mother shape and an infant shape at its breast.the mother is gold and the child is silver.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Clothes that used to fit me, a pair of Levis, I guess I hope I'll fit in them again
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Good deals that I boughten ata thrift shop
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I once had a beautiful burgundy silk blouse that my mother gave me. It got worn to shreds, I look good in that colour, I have a similar on now, but it's just not cut the same.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My Minnesota beavers hoodie that I bought in Minneapolis.l
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Nothing. A lot of clothes I did buy thinking it was an in estment don't fit anymore and I have long gotten rid of.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
I was given a black leather biker jacket for my 25 th birthday. It made me fel invincible powerful and warm.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The ideal white linen blouse, that is the perfect clolour, fit, length, collar.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
No, very messy.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
My son got me a fake diatom pendant on a chain for Christmas one year. I wore it until the metal gave me sores.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Recently I bought a nice thin down filed jacket. It is really comfortable, flattering and very warm.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
When I feel like I have some extra cash. Sometimes when I feel depressed.i buy shoes mostly then.when I'm about to attend and important event .Art opening, wedding, holiday occasions .
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Yes, fresh, clean, soap like smelling, lemony scent as well.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
It doesn't really. As far as ambition goes, it is not a very powerful character trait of mine.
80. How does money fit into all this?
Having a lot of money helps a great deal as to my decisions about whether I will buy certain clothes.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
When I was in grade three , my mother would make me wear these very ugly thick puffy polyester slacks to school and I hated them ,but they were very warm( we lived in a very cold climate on the winter)
They were hand me downs. So they told me that I was not worth getting new clothes for, and that I was just be be warm In the cold , not to look good.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
September 7 , 1964, born in a Edmonton, Alberta . I now live on Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'm half Métis- Cree, and Italian., parents ere working class. Father was a house painter, mother was a French language teacher.(step- mother)
What kind of work do you do?
I am a house painter.i also do a few public art projects and participate in a few Art shows. I paint portraits.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married 20 yrs, one child ,boy, 17 yrs.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I'm interested in feminism and art and clothing is an interesting cultural thing to think about.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Pretty good, maybe a bit like I don't have a lot to offer.