Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm wearing clothes that fit me well and suit me--even if they're not new or the latest style. Even if I don't feel thin that day; clothes that fit properly are the best.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Women who seem to be comfortable in their skin. Well put together and calm, collected.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire when women have a style of their own. I admire bold statements because I rarely make bold statements.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't like to shop so I tend to go only once per season to ONE store and get many items. I don't always have time to wait for a sale--I just go on a day that I'm alone in town.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I myself don't like sleeveless shirts or dresses or straps or strapless anything. But these kinds of clothes look great on other women.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Yoga jeans and long sleeve crew neck t-shirts. So boring but standard in my wardrobe. I keep getting them because I don't have to put much thought into it.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I can't stand flip-flops or any shoes with something between my toes! Plus, I won't wear Toms!!
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother has a different style tha I do. She's very healthy and slim and she likes sparkly girly clothes whereas I struggle with weight and I like more classic simple clothes.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Not really. I don't like to match too much, especially shoes. I like it if my shoes are a different colour than everything else I'm wearing. But when people started wearing a lot of scarves, I joined in because there are a lot of great scarves!
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes, after a breakup I realized I had been dressing a lot more conservative than is my natural style. I was wearing tailored Ralph Lauren and dressy Laura Ashley stuff (it was early 90s.) I hadn't known I had changed that much until we broke up and I got my "normal" older clothes from the back of the closet.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I did when I was younger. Grunge and counterculture but not punk or hippy extreme. I still like my doc martens and my army jacket (a la Freaks and Geeks) but I don't wear them anymore; I just keep them for nostalgia.
16. Please describe your body.
Haha I'm 5 feet 2 inches and 140 pounds. I'm heavier than my ideal. I have olive skin and "dirty blonde" hair, large hazel eyes. I like my hands and feet.
17. Please describe your mind.
I'm left brained and linear. I enjoy science and math but got an arts degree majoring in English because I love fiction. I read a lot. I knit for mental health reasons and to stop fidgeting. I'm pretty organized and opinionated but also, I like to think, flexible and open to new ideas. I'm an introvert but I really really love the few people that I so love.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I struggle with depression and take medication for it so my highs and lows are not nearly as intense as they once were. That's a relief but also somewhat sad.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
My hair is in a ponytail. I have a mud mask on my face for oily skin. I'm wearing peach coloured ankle length yoga jeans, a blue short sleeved t-shirt and bare feet.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
How you present yourself shows who you are on the inside--to some extent. But I've never been able or wanted to follow fashion too closely. I like to feel comfortable and look pretty but I don't want to work too hard at it because I'd rather be reading.