Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When my hair is right, my skin clear and lightly tan and my jawline firm
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. I notice the women who wear very sharp business clothes as well as anyone who wears what I'd call "too" sexy.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
That they look at ease in things I would never dare wear
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Nothing so far has clicked. My clothing is my anxiety. My hair is a saving grace because it's this mane but sometimes it just looks like a mess.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Buy classic stuff and durable materials. It's more expensive but lasts way longer. It also looks better
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Either a short skirt or cleavage - never both.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I try to be uncomplicated. Prefer long term investments to frivolity. Mostly things that are about infrastructure, not immediately seen.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans. I feel comfortable and my butt looks good always. My armor. Jeans can look smart too.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Mad Men 50's look because of the sheer return to sexism I think it represents. A "woman's place" and all that.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother is fat. She has no style whatsoever. It's garish dresses and suits and awful sweatpants that make her look worse. My mother emotionally abused me as a child and I strive to be everything she is not.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
It's more like I want the attitude of this one woman friend who can strut around in a bikini at 59 and wear classic suits.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
No, I've been dressing the same since I was a teenager. I have added expensive jackets for work. To go with the jeans.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Maybe around the workplace.
16. Please describe your body.
More or less thin/well defined but I realize I'm actually not that fit
17. Please describe your mind.
It's a work in progress
18. Please describe your emotions.
Deep and anxious.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm at my cottage and wearing a fleece and some capris because it's a bit chilly. Hair is nowhere near done.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's as if there's a person I want to be who is well-groomed and dressed but I can't even get near being that because it terrifies me
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
No-one, maybe a couple of therapists
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I don't think they do
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
2nd Dec 1973.
Born in Scotland. Now living in Canada
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
White, middle class, European
What kind of work do you do?
Research in technology
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single, no kids
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
Clothing is huge for me but you wouldn't think so to look at me
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Kind of depressed