Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am dressed in purple,blue, fuchsia, simple tops and black pants or jeans that fit well
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I love people watching but definitely notice what women wear, interesting colours, patterns, details on clothing, the shapes of clothes and how they affect the shapes of the women. I feel women (and people in general) wear too much black, grey beige brown etc.
I find ethnic clothing or cultural clothing (goth, fan based for example) fascinating and although I hate wearing hats love seeing them on women all dressed up.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Confidence in what they are wearing always shows, individuality even if it's an accessory. Colour, fun, style.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I was about thirteen and I realized I was not going to be pretty. It both freed me to be myself, but also made me struggle with confidence in social situations.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Sticking to practical, and things I will find occasion to wear.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Keep it simple, stay away from fuss and frills, stay in the colours I look good in.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I don't remember any one conversation. It's not an interest of mine, but I do find other women's conversations about it interesting. I don't get the shoe and purse obsessions.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I am family oriented, happily married and work as a couple with my husband over finances. I'm retired and an art student, and my approach reflects these priorities.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Blue tops, I love anything in the blue purple range, plus those are the colours that suit me but I do try to expand out from there.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
My mother, amber jewellery which she loved, but am always nervous about giving people clothes that they won't like it.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I never wear high heels and only wear any heels at all at weddings, funerals etc. I have never felt comfortable in them, and can't understand why one would deliberately make yourself so un comfortable just to look good. Same with waxing.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
She was a red head, so colours totally different, style to, I have always been more casual, worn less makeup. I don't think this was a reaction against her, more a realization that I was not pretty, so headed away from interest in clothes and makeup.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I can't think of any examples of this.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Not dramatically, but from my thirtys I have struggled with weight issues, and then your style does change to concealment.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
No fur, and I can't justify spending too much money on clothes as a socialist.
16. Please describe your body.
5 ft 1 inch, overweight stocky, small breasted, good skin, hair brown with grey beginning but I don't want to start colouring till I have to. Very fair with blue eyes, glasses.
17. Please describe your mind.
Active, ADD, creative curious, interested. I struggle with depression but am fighting back.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Excited about doing this survey, which surprised me.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Still in my sleep tshirt, but did brush my hair, wearing glasses
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
How we see ourselves and how we fit into our world is tremendously important, and how we dress affects our lives pervasively, our health physical and mental, how others react to us.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Female colleagues and friends, my son and husband
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
My work (in hospitals and child are centres) dictated safe and practical clothing, as does my art studies.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste more than style, an artistic sense of parts making a whole as I choose what I wear, style I think is a talent that is a step above taste, I don't have enough interest in it to cultivate it.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Shoes that were stylish but uncomfortable so I never wore them
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Can't think of any
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I paint and sculpture.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Job interviews, I have a son with autism so many meetings with professionals over him?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes in all areas of my life, I think it comes from a core confidence in my self as having value.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother and I didn't always agree about clothes, I think I picked up my own style from observing friends, general culture
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Putting in the effort to put on makeup and dress up, doing my hair.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I think they are very similar when it comes to clothes.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Light, colour, positiveity, joy, fun
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Negativity, anger, aggression, institutionalization, forced conformity
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Canadian, scots parents, Protestant Christian,
Am part of and dress pretty mainstream
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
As a child(1960s) preferred bys clothes out of school as more practical and comfortable.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I like very few photos of me