Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel the most attractive in heels. I'm usually wearing a dress or skirt. I feel like my body lends itself to be best presented in dresses and skirts.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I always notice women on the streets. I look at what they're wearing and wonder how it would look on my body or if its a style that would suit my lifestyle. I admire women who make bold statements just as much as I admire or notice women who make simple statements. It's all about how they carry it off.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire how women decide to display their (assumed) best feature.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I found my fashion/makeup/style groove after I ended my engagement/long term relationship. I had been in a relationship for 5 years (22-27) and I was ready to dress 100% the way I wanted.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I do my best shopping when alone. I need the mental space to truly ascertain whether or not I need an item. I love shopping with friends or one other friend, but I never truly shop, except when alone.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I always try to be prepared for anything. I can be a bit over cautious, so I tend to wear sensible shoes when I know I have to do a lot of standing or walking. This severely limits my options because I don't have as many flats, but I am always thinking worst case scenario.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have multiple striped dresses and tops. I love them. They always make me feel chic and happy.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. My gifts to my mother.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I am shaped exactly like my mother. I used to hate it, but now I accept it. I can't afford (nor would I want to undergo) plastic surgery, so I make the best of it. Her style is a little matronly for me, but she is a 55 year old woman and mother of two.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
I am average height (5'3) and I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. I am what they call "pear-shaped".
17. Please describe your mind.
Curious, simultaneous, constantly running
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a grey and white striped dress with black flats, and a denim jacket with the sleeves cuffed. I am wearing silver hooped earrings and a silver monogram ring. I am not really wearing makeup (natural, light powder foundation, mascara, lipgloss). My hair (chin length) has a slight curl to the ends and is parted on one side.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Clothing is how I act out my fantasies. Every day, I get to play a different part.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have style. Taste varies depending on the subject. My style is constant.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A sequined tank from JCrew. Never wore it at all. Sold it at a consignment shop for $15.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Ill fitting clothing. Every thing looks better tailored.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I pick my clothing out the night before. I am too apt to change my mind otherwise.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
I wouldn't. If I definitely had to, it would be all black. Black skirt, black blouse (tucked in), black heels, gold or silver hoops, and a watch. Neutral makeup with a bold lip.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am culturally, a black american female. I enjoy a diverse interest in food, movies, and music. I have lived in major cities my entire life, so that definitely influences my style and general outlook on things.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
In high school I was a very preppy dresser. I worked and shopped at the Gap, so I was always in khakis and button downs.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I have been fortunate to work in places/offices that have a business casual dress code. I can pretty much wear what I want and I don't have to worry about covering my tattoos.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Constraining. I need personal expression.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Fit and flare dress (any color) with simple delicate jewelry and wedges. Always good to go anywhere.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
no. I love men who enjoy getting dress and stretch their imaginations, but I love being a woman and dressing like a woman.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
1950/60s France or Italy
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Always. I dream in color.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
The same things I wear now. Just a smaller size.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress for yourself. Always.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love perfume. Tocca's Stella.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
A good lint brushing is a must.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Make up is the cherry on top. Not essential, but it helps.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Too many favorites.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
My prom dress from high school. It's BCBG and I love it, but I will, likely, never wear again.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Shoes. Those last.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A coat from Banana Republic that I got for $40, but was too chicken to wear. It was a statement coat with opera length sleeves. It was various shades of beige and coral with gold threading woven into a floral pattern, throughout.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
nothing. I love my haphazard assembly.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My gray Frye boots. Just bought them last year.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Neatly folded and ordered by type.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I shop always. I am constantly Pinning things on Pinterest or Keep. I online browse a lot as well. But I tend to actually shop right before seasons change or special occasions.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
Dress for the life/job/career you want.
80. How does money fit into all this?
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I always have tinted lipgloss. A little color is better than nothing.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
March 27, 1984. I was born in Washington, DC and I live in Baltimore, MD. I commute to DC to work everyday.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am middle class, I guess. I live in a one bedroom apartment in Baltimore. My friends are all professionals (mostly teachers or non profit workers, like me)
What kind of work do you do?
I am a copywriter/editor in the marketing department of a national non profit. I have a personal fashion/lifestyle blog. I would love to be a fashion editor/stylist as well as a published author.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single. No kids. One dog.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Semi accomplished ( i did skip a lot)
I have degrees in Fashion Merchandising and Business, and I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in Publications Design. While I currently work as a copy -writer/editor, my goal in life is to become a fabulous ploy-hyphenate: fashion editor-stylist-writer.
I will make this happen. Until then, I do this and that.
What am I interested in? Everything, but especially this stuff: baking, cooking, sassiness, shopping, styling, bourbon, fashion, interior decorating, organizing, humor, reading, writing, arithmetic (sike!), beer, vodka, foul language, and tomfoolery. In that order.
In my spare time I enjoy being a smart aleck, drinking wine while cooking /baking, and flirting with danger.