Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When i give myself extra time to get ready- feeling rushed always makes me feel like i forgot to tweak some element to my outfit (makeup, shoes, jewelry..) and when I have more time, I feel more secure.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
women who commit to their look- a fully pierced, tattooed punk person stands our just as much as a women in head to toe Gucci.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
the way they take care of their purses- a well maintained handbag means the women care about the details.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
embracing my curly/wavy hair and learning how to keep it looking good. The advent of better products and minimal shampooing definitely helped.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
don't shop while you are pre-menstrual.
shop for yourself alone
ask for feedback from spouse or best friend only if you are not sure.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
leggings all the time. I am petite and small framed and i never wear denim.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
sweatshops and fast fashions. I no longer shop at H&M and other stores of that ilk
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
simplicity- i dress how i want to be perceived- no frills, nothing too gaudy or expensive but nice pieces.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
leggings because of a back injury i don't wear tight or restrictive clothing.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
harem pants. WTF?
midrif tops. srsly?
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
I am 5'2"- petite 120 lbs former dancer.
17. Please describe your mind.
that is a loaded question. right now I am dreaming about our vacation in Mexico next month and getting ready to produce a conference in 2 weeks. recreationally reading Anna Karenina, listening to the new Lykke Li album.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
no make up, (genetically blessed with good skin) spy 30 serum and sunblock. white cotton tank and black organic cotton skirt. staple rings and small jewelry.hair is curly and undone as ever.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
only in making me feel presentable, as i do not work in an office setting. when i go out i will fix my hair and tie up my look with shoes and more accessories.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
not really at all
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I have both. my taste might not be everyones, but i definitely have style. taste is more personal, has to do with your inner longings or is an abstraction of who you would like to be (look like) style is the ability to pull off that interpretation, for better or for worse.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
never made a huge financial mistake- if i buy an expensive piece it is a well thought out and researched decision.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Thongs suck- just go commando.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
my home is well thought out and stylish-or so i have been told. the furniture is comprised of pieces from my grandparents, vintage finds, modern twists and lots of art.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
cobalt is my power color and i wear it to slay my enemies or charm my guests. I have worn specific pieces when I was going to meet a specific person in order to gain their attention and it worked every time.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
absolutely. i have always been strong willed and have had a very immediate opinion on art, design and decor and i think that has translated into my clothing.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
yes, my father traveled the world and always brought me clothes from the various countries so I could "be the first to wear it" .
My mother taught me how to wash and care for delicate clothes and being a dancer lots of my things had to be hand laundered.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
more make up, a higher heel/sexier shoe
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
that they themselves are not confident.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
dress to make your self feel good. dress in the best pieces you can afford, avoid trends, know what your best features are, accentuate them. dress so you don't let your clothes wear you- you must be comfortable in your clothes during a work day and they need to be not too precious.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
older women who wear whatever the hell they want.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
when people wear clothes that are small or too tight for them, not just overweight people. it never looks good although I can't say it is ugly- just bad fashion.
ugly is best described in the drivers in my town before, during and after rush hour.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
yup- i won't buy it if i won't wear it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
mostly temperature and how long i have to be on my feet that day
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
alexander wang minimalisim plus rick owens futurisim
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me- vinyl and a negroni
not me- Disney and Olive Garden
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
A uniform can be great only if there are ways to individualize it with jewelry, belts, scarves, etc...
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
booties, black leggings, tunic
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
only when i see Frida Kahlo working a suit then I remember I am petite and curvy.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
not really, I hate being photographed and have never posted a selfie.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
70s icons, Debbie Harry, Francoise Hardy, Angelica Houston
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
anything thing that is considered bootylicious
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Jumpsuits, low, low cut dresses.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i am drawn to citrus scents but they don't last so I end up with fragrances that have a bite to them, like Tom Ford Violet Blonde or easy every day scents like Marc by Marc Jacobs.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I don't wear much make up- mostly just lipstick unless I am going to a formal event and then I go with concealer, lipstick mascara, eye liner and that is about it.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
I hate trendy fast fashion that is only meant for super thin women. I have never seen harem pants look good on anyone and midriff tops look good on about 20 percent of people who wear them.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
My black Doc Martens.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My Burberry trench coat. yes, I will have this classic piece forever.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
totally organized. a space for each separate pice of clothing, shirts, pants, shoes, purses….
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
i like to hit the big seasonal sales (after x-mas, labor day) and the big box sales (asks, nordstrom triple points)
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
yup- a strong believer in a signature scent.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
no way. born in bogota, Colombia
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
upper middle class (if there is such a thing).
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
married no kids
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
exhausted. this was WAY too long. you could have asked fewer more poignant questions- many were repeated or asked for extrapolation on similar, earlier questions.