Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I've found that perfect mix of classic, eclectic, and not too trendy before I do my hair or makeup accordingly, when everything fits and drapes the way I want it to and I find the perfect shoes and jacket, put on my watch and do that final check in the mirror.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Slim and stylish, I especially tend to notice women in pieces I either admire or own.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like women with a snappy sense of style, who wear what suits their body type and not too trendy. The shoes are crucial.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I was standing in my bathroom mirror at age 18 doing my makeup in a particularly wild look, wearing an outfit I would never have left the house in, (but something I have actually worn out and been photographed in now) and I had this very orangey blush that was my mom's but she hadn't used it. I used it as eyeshadow and my eyes looked like some modern art version of a bird of paradise, with white shadow in both corners and bold black liner around the white, with the orange above and just below. I got up on a stepladder and saw the whole effect and it turned on a switch in my brain. After that I bought a pair of black suede manolos on eBay and never looked back.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I buy things that I don't necessarily like the best at first, then they sit in my closet forever and I re-discover them and they become my favorite item months or even years after being bought.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
If it looks too put together or too trendy I'll pull it all off and start from scratch. Scratch being the piles of clean clothes I create after doing laundry like a mood board.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
"You should wear high waisted jeans, not those low-rise ones, it'll make your legs look longer"-mom
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Nope! Different every day. :)
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
H&M cotton leggings and skirts. Can never have too many. Also cowboy boots. I wear them almost every day.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes. Katie. Even though we aren't friends anymore, I gave her one of my deceased mother's shirts, at her behest before passing away and Katie still has it. It looks great on her.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Those Jeffery Campbell boots. I dunno. Basic bitches...
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Not at all, she was lovely and curvy, I got my paternal grandmother's looks and physique (thin and wiry) but I did get my height from my mom's side. She was 5'8" but her brothers are all over 6'3"
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Many. I love getting ideas from people I admire.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Tall, on the slim side. A little more muscular than most models but I've still done it professionally.
17. Please describe your mind.
Highly intelligent and somewhat left of center.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Random and intense
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
A vintage tommy tank top from the 90s, a pair of f21 legging bells and my hair is down, face is bare.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It affects my confidence which affects my singing voice. Which is my new job.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Everybody and anybody
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
As little as possible
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Both. Taste is knowing when to use style or leave it be. Taste by far.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I paid £1500 for a white leather and fox fur gilet at tod's and wore it maybe 3 times before I tore it on a broken airline seat on a flight to LA.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
I rip my tee shirts up the left side a few inches and tie them in a knot. Then I tuck that behind my belt buckle which I wear to the side so it doesn't scratch my guitar. The shirt will nearly always drape the way I want.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Absolutely. Being well dressed can overcome the shyest of personalities.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Nope, just clothes. And guitars.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I picked it up, but my mom taught me to make them.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Take everything off. Less is more
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
That elusive walking-on-air feeling you get when you've put together that perfect outfit and you know you'll never wear it again.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
When water is in a teapot, it becomes the teapot, when it is in a glass, it becomes the glass... Be water.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
My friends Selene and Katie. The clothes they make.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Basic bitches. Uber trendy outfits with no imagination. Trendy tattoos especially. Like an owl.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Nope and nope
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
My tattoos tell that story.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
My stone cold fox onyx dresss and my trusty old vintage zodiac boots. Depends on the day. My boyfriend plays a show most nights so I dress for that eventuality.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
My pesto slur being broadcast across the room I'm in, that says "I'm approachable but definitely don't fuck with me"
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
The side of the bed I wake up on
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Cowboy boots, dark wash jeans and a vintage tee shirt, denim or leather jacket and a cool scarf
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Changes daily but what is def. NOT me is an outfit somebody posted online
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Academia, I dress like I'm smart because I am.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
In middle school I was a competitive figure skater, as such I wore skating dresses and rights every day. One times I'll still wear black tights over a leotard with boots but with a baggy sweater. But not the sparkly short dresses anymore.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Either a drastic red lip or a pronounced cat eye. I also cut my own hair.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I don't dress slutty.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans, boots, tee. Easy, no brainer.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Not for that reason lol. Men's shoes maybe.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Antebellum south. Love those hoops.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I look different in every single one.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
What I wear now, just more expensive versions of it.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
My boyfriend :)
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress how you want
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Sometimes a little bit. Usually it's a bad thing
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Depends on the day/outfit
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
The platform boots and bandage dress look. Snooki. Yuk
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Everything. Just everything.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
This ragged old tee shirt with holes in it, four sizes too big and tied in knots all over.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
That stupid gilet. My mom sewed it up. It has sentimental value. And the fur is soft.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Good jeans and the literal rainbow of bright coloured bras I own.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A pair of leggings from Allsaints with a feather print. One of my manager's other girls sublet my apartment from him and stole them.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
The black manolos. Yes but I snapped the heel. If they get fixed, you know I'll be back in those babies in a millisecond.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
My first pair of bootcut mavi jeans in 7th grade.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect pair of snip toe boots. Or the equivalent of that green gown from Atonement
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Chaos. And chaos. It fosters my creativity
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
The lady across the street gave me a silver spoon ring that had been in her family for generations. It fit my pinky... I wore it for years
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
So many many times. My first pair of lace up Justin boots probably. About 2006, before they were cool.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I want to broadcast my style. So yes.
80. How does money fit into all this?
A necessary evil.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Lancôme decencils mascara. And a little Hermes scarf I tie to my purse every day.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Not going there
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Age 3. A pair of pink Oshkosh corduroy pants. They were awesome.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
7/09/86, oakland ca, nashville tn
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Dad's a New York Jew and mom was a Presbyterian from Kansas.
What kind of work do you do?
Singer, waitress, model, actress. Stylist, Whatever
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Scottish guitarist boyfriend
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I was on the uk cover of a book called "rebel rebel anti-style" and signed to select, mc2, Pfd, talent works and m mgmt.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?