Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when I am well and knowing I am loved.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
fit & well put together
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
obvious care to detail as others have to see you in public
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I became more self confident and worked with what I thought were my assets not another's opinion.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
buy and wear what you like not the trend that will pass
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
finding others that agree with an independent self
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
list making, organizing, priorizing
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
colours more than items because they pop out at me when I shop
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
ripped or faded, acid washed etc jeans...they may be trendy but they speak to me of poorer days.
The idea that the industry acting sold this to women
at high prices blows my mind
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother had a Gibson Girl figure and had all her clothes made as could not buy off the rack. She took
a great deal of care with her appearance. Our styles
are quite different as I did not inherit her shape. She loved big jewelry and sparkle.
I prefer good silver, and have more casual wear.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I fell for the maxi skirts a friend wore as feel more elegant in that hem line
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Divorce. Financial restructuring and remaking my image to prove I survived..brilliantly.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I like to wear "made in Canada" to support this economy when possible
16. Please describe your body.
I love my body. It has served me well, born children,
worked very hard and still has significant endurance.I consider myself to be of average height and proportion
& I still have a waist line in my late 60's.
17. Please describe your mind.
I am a magpie gathering eclectic bits that interest me
18. Please describe your emotions.
expressive good and bad
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Hair & make up done...my husband sees me every day
Dressed in jeans and top for domestic chores
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Others are visually impacted. Bothering to take a few
minutes to be presentable is good for one's own psyche and well as those we encounter
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I wore tailored uniforms in my professional life and NEVER succumbed to looking like I was in my pj's. I always wore my hair up & secured.
When I was off, I wore my hair and garments flowing
and quite different as that separated those parts of my life
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste means differentiating between ugly trends and lasting qualities. Style means a genre ie tailored
but with an overlay of knowing what one feels well in.
I think style indicates individuality and is more important to me.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
rayon that fell apart when washed
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
my dressing trick is to have an outfit all on one hanger and the only getting away is time related
as I can be ready in a flash for any occasion. I have never had much time for pampering.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
My values are old fashioned. I cook from scratch and run an inclusive table where the kids could always invite a friend. People always matter to me before things.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Post divorce, being well turned out whenever I had to encounter the bastard
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes. Maturing, and being content in my own skin, feeling entitled to my own opinions.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I am self directed as had to be
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I keep myself well. The rest is all window dressing.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable..at ease physically and mentally
confident..sure of oneself
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
wear the colours and shapes that make you feel happy
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
A loving face
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I choose items that mix and match to expand my wardrobe
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I only check that I am all together. Nothing more complicated
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
what the day holds
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
appropriateness and comfort
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing is functional
dressing up is exciting as it means an occasion or celebration
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
traditional not trendy
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I am originally a Canadian farm girl. I know how to work but love dressing elegantly when the occasion occurs..the quintessential " I clean up good."
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
workplace attire etc needs to reflect the site as it
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I was more tidy when things were relaxing beyond my
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
loved it..work is hard on clothing and it separated the
care of items and the appearance
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
a basic suit that doesn't really date and can be
"softened" with accessories or made more simple
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
travel means one pr of shoes for a man and a few shirts.
We have to accessorize for each outfit and their shoes do not date
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Victorian...horrid in all those restrictions but a certain elegance
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
or the lack therof?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
age inappropriate. As one ages it looks silly to dress too youthfully
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
what I wear now
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I dress to please myself
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
don't neglect yourself.Take a few minutes to look good as it also benefits your self esteem
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love a signature perfume but react badly to some heavily
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
clean and tidy
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
knowing how to apply good quality products finishes
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
I am not interested in keeping up with fashion and wear what I enjoy
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
pieces acquired over time because I like them
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I am fond of amethysts
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a kilt older than my children which is such a classic and made of beautiful wool..nostalgia
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
mix and match with good accessories
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
The "lines" of the clothes in the 50's & 60's with the
tiny waists and full skirts were so feminine
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
one skirt that makes me happy whenever I wear it
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
good lingerie particularly bras and good shoes
Comfort and proper fit
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
I discovered the difference in luxury fabrics and well made garments and how much nicer they feel
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A good long coat
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
organized but could use some culling
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my children gave me a locket I wore until it fell apart but I still have
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A cape..love the look
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I have free time for the first time in my life and
having a wardrobe that works for the lifestyle
80. How does money fit into all this?
buy selectively and choose quality for the price
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
yes. I hate to be seen without mascara
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
an aspect of my appearance negated by my family was seen as attractive
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
trying on clothing at a shop called Sweet Sixteen.
It did not matter what size 8 was brought to me
looked attractive and was commented on by a
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
May 23. 1947, BC Canada
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am a typical Canadian
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
happily married with two great adult children
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
you made me think
How do you feel after filling out this survey?