Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I am comfortable and confident. Clothes wise when I wear dresses or smart trousers.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, I notice and admire confident women who wear personal objects, articles of clothing or accessories that speak to who they are and what they care about. I also notice sad and unhappy women and wonder about what they're missing.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire a beautiful hairstyle, healthy skin and hair which show the care and respect they show themselves. I admire no fuss styles. I admire effort in preparation for an occasion or event.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Makeup clicked when I understood it's purely for fun. Skincare is essential makeup is not.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Spend more on quality items and use them longer. I would not recommend this to young'uns or those who don't have the means.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Err on the side of modesty. I can't pull off short shorts or yoga pants but others have a go if you like!
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Wear what you like, you lose yourself if you wear what's expected instead.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Kind of. What's working, what's not and adjust when I feel necessary. I approach things like BASF, I make everything better (even things that are good already. It's a blessing and curse.)
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Scarves and hats. I find scarves interesting and useful. Hats are beautiful and useful. I like things with a purpose.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
A nice wallet because it looks the same as it did when I bought it.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Punk rock fashion or emo because it makes people seem sad or unapproachable.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother has a full body, not fat not slim. Her style is trendy up-and-coming. I have sorta a fuller figure, not fat nor slim. I inherited that from her. Style-wise though I follow more in my father's footsteps: timeless, utilitarian pieces without a ton of extraneous frills or embellishments. Also, his moderation in buying clothes has really influenced me.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I've nixed my sister's dress shirts. I've borrowed my brother's and husband's tees. They are comfortable and timeless. I've adapted the idea of buying nice things so as to reduce the need to go shopping often.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes! I had bins of secondhand clothing that I was meaning to alter and wear. I realized that altering used clothing took an enormous amount of time and in the end cost more money than buying new clothing.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
There is power in dressing like a lady.
16. Please describe your body.
I am short! I can fit kids' clothes. I have thin legs and big thighs. My hair and nails are wonderfully strong. My arms and chest are weak areas.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is constantly observing, judging, and rationalizing things.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I feel young and old at times. I feel like a fish out of water. I feel like a bird who is scared to leave the nest. I feel like my expectations are so high I can not be happy.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am in a 3/4 sleeve striped sweater and faux suede orange shorts. I have a beaded Hawaiian anklet on. I have curry on my face. My hair is down and naturally straight.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is important to me. How I look represents my Chinese culture, my family, and my beliefs.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My sis, friends, and husband.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
What does that mean?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I have taste still defining my style. Style comes from refined distinguished really laser-focused taste. Taste is an inherent appreciation in quality and commitment. Style is living life on your terms, honoring and celebrating your differences.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Purses I bought online and didn't like in person.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Not wearing tight clothes goes a long way in making me not feel fat.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
12/14/89. Born in New Mexico, lived in Illinois and lived in Kansas.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
First generation Chinese American.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Good and more keen on what makes me me.