Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When my hair looks good and I have my makeup on. I don't really like going out without makeup on, but I'm trying to do little things like get coffee without makeup. It's a challenge.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women's makeup. I like looking at eyeliner and lipsticks. Their clothes are always secondary.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I have a friend who always wears the craziest things, like jewels on her face and shiny hot pants. She makes it look like she's putting on a show, but it's only for herself and the select few people she cares about.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
In high school, I had a uniform, so when I graduated I had some awkward "catching up" years, where I was trying to figure out my style. When I finally mastered liquid eyeliner and realized that I like to wear black and that nothing or no one will stop me from wearing all the black I want, things got easier.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
-If its black and you like the way it looks on you, buy it.
-Hair and makeup and accessories change everything.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
More is more.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
My mother is an actress but she always told me to dress for myself and not for my audience.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I'm a hard worker and I have a confidence in my competence. I try not to do things half-assed.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have a lot of skirts and dresses. I rarely wear pants, I don't like the way my legs look in pants. I also have a lot of black, which at first I thought was a problem, but now I just accept it as one of my quirks.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I once gave my sister some crystal earrings for her birthday. They look so good on her, every time she wears them, her whole face sparkles.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I'm a curvy girl, so the whole boxy cut, androgynous look is never going to look good on me. I'll never wear big billowy menswear-y coats or pleated pants, or button down shirts. I prefer more feminine pieces that flatter my body.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Looks-wise I look a lot like my mother, and we have the same "more is more" aesthetic, and the same love for vintage and kitsch. My sister is much more preppy and button-downed. It's funny how that happened.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My friend Samantha was the first person I saw wearing fake lashes and crazy makeup. She inspired me to go a little nuts with my makeup.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I woke in a "cool" bar, where the fashion is pretty all over the place. I always like to wear something pretty or funky or wear crazy makeup to work. It makes me feel like I'm an actress playing a bartender. Probably because I come from a family of performers.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I thought about this a lot recently, because I thought that feminism meant a certain style of dress, but now I embrace the fact that my style is more "femme", it's who I am, and it makes me happy. And women happy in the way the present themselves without having to justify it to anyone is part of feminism.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm a redhead, so that's the first thing people notice about me; my long curly red hair. I have an hourglass shape: big boobs, big butt, big thighs, small waist, narrow shoulders. I used to want to be skinny more than anything, but I exercise and eat healthy, so my body will be what it will be and there are more important things for me to worry about than hating my body.
17. Please describe your mind.
I think a million words a minute. I have a very dry sense of humour. I'm pretty sure I'm highly intelligent. I sometimes have a difficult time empathizing with people who aren't as rational and as logical as I am.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I feel things very deeply, I'm very sensitive. But I have figured out how to use my words and my humour as shields. When I'm in love, I love 110%, but when it's over, it's over.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm actually wearing my one pair of pants right now because it's laundry day. I have on one of my favourite black sweaters. My hair is in a bun and I don't have any makeup on, but then again, I haven't left my house yet.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
A person makes choices for a reason, knowing those reasons makes for an interesting view into the person.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Friends, family, anyone who will listen.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Style. My taste can be a little "over the top", but on me, it's just my style.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
When I'm wearing a skirt, I tuck my tank top into my stockings. It keeps my top from riding up and my stockings from rolling down. But it looks ridiculous.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Dating scares me. When I go on dates I like to wear all black, because it's my comfort colour.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Go big or go home. Big hair, big eyeliner, big lipstick.