Read Surveys (By Author)
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. I always notice what the women surrounding me are wearing.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Just recently, it "clicked" in my head that I don't NEED to wear make up to feel confident enough to leave my house. Not too long ago, I would have never left my house without a little concealer to cover acne and some mascara or blush to make me look more awake. I went through a stressful period of time when I couldn't be bothered to apply make up each day and I wanted my skin to heal from all of the acne, so I stopped wearing make up. Not only did my skin clear, but my self-confidence boosted as well. Now, I wear make up for fun, not because I feel like I HAVE to.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I wouldn't recommend trying on a piece that you love but is too expensive, because once you see it on you, you might fall in love with it and feel like you have to buy it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Wear high waisted underwear because it helps suck everything in LOL
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have waay too many eyeliners and lipsticks. I always forget the shades that I have and they look so attractive in the store that I can't leave without it!
I also have too many socks, simply because they always get lost in the wash or you can never get the white ones back to their 'original' white colour.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Any time someone compliments the sky high nude pumps that I got my sister which have a delicately feminine bow attached to the heel, I secretly commend myself on my great style and gift!
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I refused to get back into the overalls trend, simply because I know that once they are out again it would be far too embarrassing to admit to having ever worn them again in my adult life!
I can never bring myself to wear crop tops or short shorts. Granted I have multiple cute crop tops and short shorts hanging in my closet, every time I put them on, I feel too exposed to actually leave the house.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Sometimes I will "borrow" something from my sister's closet that I will keep so long that she forgets about it and it finds a new home among my wardrobe. I don't feel to bad about it though, as I know she has multiple pieces in her closet that were once originally mine as well.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Once I graduated from University, I became from less inclined to wear "revealing" pieces. I guess I realized that the attention you receive from the world shouldn't stem from your risqué apparel.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Embarrassingly, my current 'look's consists of sweat pants, a T-shirt, hair natural and down, no make up, just my glasses.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
The unfortunate reality is that it is very important. People base very serious first impressions on a way an individual carries him or herself, including what they wear and how they look.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Family and friends
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
The workplace or religious institution clearly calls for modest dress, while trendier pieces can be worn to less professional places
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I believe I have taste and style. Taste implies knowledge about how certain pieces may or may not work together, whereas style suggests a certain category of dress in which a particular individual consistently adheres to. For example, although my style may be very feminine and girly, I would still have enough taste to be competent enough to put together a masculine ensemble.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I have bought multiple pairs of shoes that I never wore, simply because the heel is too impractically high.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
When I wrote a very important and stressful exam, I made sure to wear a very comfortable outfit so make me feel more relaxed. I even went out of my way to buy a new pair of sweatpants and a new T-shirt to make me feel good when writing the exam.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I definitely know what I like on myself and on others in fashion. I generally am good at discerning what I do and do not like, but I think fashion is one of the areas in which my opinion rarely falters.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mother taught me how to separate colours before washing them. She also taught me to dress appropriately from a young age so that I wouldn't grow up to look like Miley Cyrus.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
wear heels, properly straighten and curl my hair (possibly add in extensions), putting on lots of makeup including foundation to hide blemishes, mascara to highlight the eyes, lipstick, eyeliner and most importantly a slimming outfit.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
I think that a girl who can look really pretty with her hair pulled back in a pony tail and without make up is the true definition of beauty. Unfortunately, were not all like that so we 'fake it until we make it'.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
A bad, mean and selfish personality.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
No. I don't think I would have ever bought some of the things that I have if I knew that I would never wear them.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
It always depends on what I am doing that day and who I am planning to see.
If I am going to the gym, then no make up and sweat pants. If I am going to work, them minimal make up and a conservative outfit. If I am running errands then I wear a comfortable outfit. If I am meeting friends or people that I want to impress, then I put on a full face of make up, make my hair look nice and wear a stylish outfit.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Make myself look pretty, well put together, sensible, confident and attractive.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing is something everyone does everyday. Dressing up is something reserved for special occasions, when you want to impress someone or when you want to feel extra pretty.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Skinny jeans, a nice blouse, shoes with a comfortable heel, a stylish jacket and purse, and some matching accessories.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
ME: floral prints, lace, white, black, grey, dark green, maroon, gold accessories, classy yet contemporary,
NOT ME: gothic looks with too much metal and leather, converse or other manly sneakers, digital watches, baggy jeans, crop tops, booty shorts, flip flops, pink, a full on matching sweat suit,
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
When I was younger my style was far less feminine than it is now.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Conservative business outfit, nothing revealing, minimal make up, hair pulled back
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I conform to them so much that I am too hesitant to wear a dress or skirt that may hit anywhere slightly above the knee cap, although others may do this. I would rather wear pants and play it safe.
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
When I was in grade school I used to wear ankle socks with my uniform in the summer time instead of the required knee high socks.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Back when I had a school uniform it was definitely comforting as there was no competition or stress to wear a stylish outfit each day.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Generally I think that dressing like a woman is far more fun than dressing like a man. Although sometimes too many options can cause a bit of stress, I still wouldn't trade it. Men's fashion can be dull and boring.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I think the 1950s were a cute time. Women typically wore nice dresses and hats. You would stick out like a crazy person if you tried that hard in today's society. Also, 1950s were generally far more conservative, but in a cute elegant way, as opposed to the 1990s madonna alternative.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Delete. Delete. Oh Gosh, Delete!
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
I often have dreams that I am going shopping, and when I wake up I am so sad that the cute clothes I saw in my dream don't exist in my real life.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
California girl, 'daisy dukes bikinis on top'
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
I would definitely stop wearing cover ups at the beach. I think overall I would still wear the same things, just feel a lot more content and fabulous as I wear them!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I like perfume, but sometimes I'm worried that if others around me don't like the scent, I may be repelling them. I do wear it but not as often as I would like, I simply forget some days.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
When you learn to apply makeup correctly to enhance your features, you feel a lot more confident about yourself.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My favourite piece of jewellery is a gold ring that my dad got me when he came home from a long trip.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have some occasion dresses and high heels that I have but never wear simply because I have no special place to wear them to.
I also have this one, really pretty shirt from when I was much younger that is currently too tight but I keep it in hopes that one day I'll be able to lose enough weight to wear it again.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
winter jackets, not only because they are expensive but you wear them every year, so you need something that will stay in fashion each winter.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Not waste my money on impractical pieces like sky high heels.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
I think my first "investment" item was a pair of nike shoes, I rarely wore them at the time because I was so protective over them and then I eventually outgrew the style and gave them away.
I also invested in a pair of lulu lemons. I wore those so often, but don't wear them anymore because I don't like the flair leg, however after years of contemplating it, I recently made a naughty purchase of a new pair with a more fitted leg.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
I used to have the PERFECT pair of skinny jeans, but i wore them so much until they ripped. I haven't been able to find a great pair ever since.
I am also always on the hunt for that perfect LBD.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I like to think I keep things quite neat, however I have more clothes than my closet can currently handle so I think the fullness makes it appear a lot more messy than it actually is.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I go clothes shopping often. I especially like to go during the turn of seasons when there are a lot of sales.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
Knowing that I hope to be an successful and respectable career-oriented woman and mother one day, I would never wear something to risqué in fear that a photo could devastate my reputation.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I don't get to shop at the fancy, expensive stores :(
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I wear a certain necklace and ring on a daily basis.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I vividly remember my fifth birthday when I was forced to wear an elmo shirt and matching shorts that a relative gave me. I cried for so long because I hated sesame street and didn't want to wear elmo on my birthday!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It was fun. I love talking about fashion and make up.