Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
in my leather jacket
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
i kind of admire most women i see on the street lookin good and in whatever fashion they are into. i guess i like lot's of women's styles even if they are totally unlike mine because it's nice to see what others are into.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
probably when some grl is just really wearing her clothes. the clothes aren't wearing her. she looks like she could kill and she is comfortable in whatever she has on.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
yes i think when i realized i hate fashion and love style. because to me fashion is so constricting and classist but style is a part of YOU. and you use fashion to shape your style but you don't have to really be hip on whats fashionable.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
if it is a striped t shirt buy it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
i wear lots of giant t shirts as dresses. probably not a great look tbh.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
realizing with a friend that we did not have to dress a certain way to be taken seriously. and that we could be a girl band and not either dress entirely to impress men. or dress entirely to detract men.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
try not to run away from things.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
baggy dresses- they are v comfortable and when i feel bad about my bod i wear them.
striped t-shirts- i just always have loved them.
thigh high sicks- cuz eventho i dress like joey ramone sometimes i wanna feel all sexy and shit.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
i gave my friend a necklace and it's the only necklace she wears.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
neon- i fucking hate it.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
i have her body which is a good bad thing. shes curvy and bangin. but i would rather be tinier than i already am.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
probably for sure.
i started wearing cat eyes cuz my bff tried them on me when we were 16.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
yes! i stopped dressing like a 13 year old boy and got really into 60s girls makeup hair and cuts. now i kind of fused those two together.
i think i just realized like "oh shit i have a body i want to show off"
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
i dont shave i guess thats political sadly. i wear boots literally in case i have to kick boys.
16. Please describe your body.
4'11 big boobs no butt. not skinny enough for my liking. really good legs i will admit.
17. Please describe your mind.
i dont know. cluttered fast going very adhd
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
underwear and a tshirt.
hair up on my head in a top bun.
red nail polish
my lovely tattoos.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
i like feeling not hideous just wearing underwear and a tshirt.
i love my giant hair so thats important.
cat eyes are an everyday must for me.
and my tattoos mean alot to me bc they are me.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my best friend. anyone who want to talk about clothes.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
i get inspiration form pictures. does that count?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
both i think.
taste- you like nice shit you have a good eye.
style- that just is you.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
my graduation dress. a 50s dress i only wore once and grew out of immediately
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
wearing your sexiest lingerie under giant tshirts and doc marten and baggy jeans feels amazing.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
yeah i play music i make jewelry.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
leather jacket, doc martens, giant hair, cat eyes.
go to, i am a bad bitch look.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
i know what i like. but that changes consantly.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
my mom has great vintage treasures.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
cat eyes, big giant hair
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
just really feelin yourself. maybe in a way you arent too busy judging people or worrying about being judged.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
wear what you want. but try new things because you might just like it
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
confidence in a not braggy/putting others down way.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
tbh when people are disgustingly on trend. like the whole tumblr army of people who dress/do makeup/hair the exact same way. but like if that is you go for it. its just not for me.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
sort of but i buy impulse things bc i try to think i will wear it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
that i def grew up liking the black lips. and that i wear alot of eyeliner.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
i dress thinking about what i want to be that day.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
feeling good about myself.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is when i like to really wear some of my more obscure vintage weird pieces.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
shoes- doc martens
pants- high wasted black jeans
shirt-striped t shirt or black blouse
bag- small leather backpack
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
wearing all black in a super non dreary art student kind of way
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
i am so southern atlanta garage punk. its what i grew up on and around and its what makes me feel comfortable.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
it changes alot different aspects but since ive been able to really dress myself its never been drastic
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
buttoned up to the top shirt. black skirt. maybe hair brushed.maybe.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
i dress nicer than the other waiters/waitress's
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
i do dress like a man. but yeah for sure.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
60s or 90s
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
oh god i look fat but my eyeliner is onpoint
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
soo many. but a few
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
things that showed off my butt.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
u probz look great dont freak
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
love it. yeah i do
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
cat eyes lol
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
lots rings 3 necklaces i lost all my earrings
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
a ring with an ak bullet and a ruby
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a 50s romper i just can never wear for more than 30 minutes without feeling like my body doesnt look good enough
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
tis striped dress kim gordon woe
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
feb 8 1995. atlanta georgia and yes thank god i do.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
white kid middle class. parents own an art gallery.
What kind of work do you do?
hostess, assistant to my dad with his art consultant business.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
19 yr old small flowery punk feral girl
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
made me really think about my love for cat eye eyeliner
i like to see music and dance really hard so i have to wear comfortable shoes.