Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm dancing ballet, in a leotard and tights.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes! Women with beautiful hair, which I define as healthy and styled well. I also notice women's clothes esp when they are dressed very sexually with high heels and low cuts. I also notice women in very fine clothes. Actually I notice everything about women.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I like the art of it, when it's thought out and crafted just right. I also like the carriage - the gait, the turn of the head, the gestures as we talk, the taciturn expressions.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Every age has its own look - every season actually. I wore kabuki at 17, straightened my hair until I was 26, then went natural and still am today except that I miss my hair dresser from NYC terribly now that I live in Seattle and am thinking of going naturally grey. You know what - it's the place you live in that defines your style mostly. You should have seen my hoochie clothes when I lived in south beach in my 20s!
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Omg -rules? It's like the Wild West for me and I have been taken hostage by many a designer and sales girl. The only rule I have is shop often and primarily at boutiques. Avoid the mall like the plague.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Kookiness. Lots of layers. The olsen twins' look except more homeless.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I worked for this Russian woman and we spoke of everything but it was how she dressed and looked - I modeled myself after her. I even adopted her question when you like something ask "who makes that?" I bought Hermes scarves and little leather gloves because of her.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
No it's haphazard. Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. I try to intuit things. It's tricky.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Yes! Beige sweaters. Cardi-coats. Blue jeans. Because I want the perfect fit the perfect weight for every temperature.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes I dress my kids ages 3 and 8 and they are the most adorable things in cat pajamas.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I don't think so. I even have a corset but I cannot breathe well in it.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Not. Not. Not.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes. I steal husbands t shirts with cool logos.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes! I went from corporate lawyer to stay at home mom. Wool suiting to cotton sweats. There is a whole fashion sensibility around SAHM dressing that I had to learn from scratch.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I wear Stars and Stripes on July 4.
16. Please describe your body.
Luscious goddess. Ever seen the painting Primavera by Botticelli? I am like that but while dark hair and golden skin.
17. Please describe your mind.
Vast agile acrobatic and eternal.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Raging fires of Carrie and Firestarter that I will tame with one look, tomorrow
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Hair cascading in curl down my shoulders. Lips wearing a coral tint. Body wearing a coral jersey mini dress by 3 dots from summer 2014.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
The packaging, oh the packaging. I flowering.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
You. Him. Therapy group. Everyone.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I always try to dress for dinner. Others do not. Legs and head covered at the mosque but luckily I do not go there.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Sometimes I have no taste but always style. Taste is about others. I like to shock with my presence. Wake up!
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
These white perforated leather boots I got when I was 16 they were $300, but not warm or useful for my lifestyle. But how I loved looking at them.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes. All of them. Drama queen
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes always. Shoulder pads for salary negs.