Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
I feel attractive when I am happy and rested, dressed in something that feels comfortable and fashionable, and out and about on a nice day. I feel a bounce in my step and a smile on my face. I feel marvelous!!
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women on the street when they are confident and comfortable with themselves. It helps if they are wearing something terrific!!
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who present their confidence and mindfulness and a sense of fun.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I do not try things on, generally, when I am shopping. I eyeball a style and a size and I take it home and hope it works. Mostly I shop where I can return things that do not work. Sometimes when I do try it on at home, it is hideous on me or just not me.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I dress to be comfortable. I am also always in a hurry to get out of the house. This results in clothes over yoga pants and other cumbersome combinations. I like to look "put together" and feel great when I get it right.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I buy pants in multiples...black and grey. I used to buy shoes in multiples, not so much anymore.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave my sister-in-law a beautiful, colorful shawl sized scarf. She loved it and when she wore it, she really looked happy and bright.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Uggs and farmer's jeans, not necessarily together. They both were trends that were so pervasive but that I had no particular use for the item.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother's body was similar to mine, I think. She loved high-fashion clothes and I remember her hemming and letting hems down on skirts from beautiful suits. I loved buying beautiful suits when I was working in a corporate environment. I still love beautiful suits but do not buy them because I no longer wear them.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
As the womens' business suit started to disappear in the corporate world, I started to buy soft cotton separates from Joan Vass. They were comfortable and beautiful colors. I thought I would find a way to dress them up for work but I never actually wore them to work. They did change how I dressed for myself on weekends.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I still try to dress like a sophisticated business person when I go to a meeting or luncheon of corporate types.
16. Please describe your body.
I am short (people tell me but I don't feel short at 5'3") and old (68) with very short undyed hair (salt & pepper brown and grey) which I have cut very carefully by a short hair specialist. I am called "little", "petite", "skinny" but I don't related to any of those terms. I am in good shape due to my yoga and workouts and try to carry myself tall. I have a tendency to lean forward when walking, I remind myself to stand straight and tall.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is curious, analytic, judgmental (which I fight with my yoga training). I notice things around me and try to understand what I am seeing.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions are calm for the most part. I do find with age I am likely to be weepy when I am touched by something or someone. As a 20-30 year old, my emotions were much more volatile and tended to erupt at odd times.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I have just tried on a pair of ponte knit tights in grey that I bought this afternoon (along with a black pair) without trying on. The tags are on the pants. I am bare-foot. I have on a racerback bra, a lilac short-sleeved yoga t-shirt (Nike), a forest green long sleeve knit button-up shirt (Splendid) and a longish white open-weave sweater (Eileen Fisher). My hair is as it was this morning when I left the house (slightly spiked with b&b sumotech). I have on a very lightweight lightly tinted face cover, gel-colored & brushed eyebrows and a slight coating of mascara.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is and it is not! It is interesting....