Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing & in an upbeat mood. A good hair day helps too!
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Sometimes. Women whom are wearing something unusual or funky, but pulling it off. I also admire them for being confident enough to dress as such.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Their ability to be so confident. The "I could care less what you think" attitude.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I've used to read Cosmo, Vanity Fair & other women's magazines as a teen > young adulthood. Picked up some fashion & makeup basics from that. Over the years, I try looks that I've seen other women w/the same skin tone, facial features, or body type as I. Not much of a "fashionista". Always have been more classical type of dress- sometimes conservative even.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I go by fabric feel & texture a lot. What material is it made of first & foremost? Where was it made? And, how much for something made in a 3rd world country-that I know didn't cost much to manufacture?
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
No half shirts. Nothing that shows too much cleavage. Nothing that shows too much leg. No garish colors or designs. Tend to stay away from patterns.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Haven't had one since I was a teenager -young adult. Had a friend enrolled in fashion school. We would discuss various trends that our peers were wearing vs. what we wore vs. the fashion industry.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
The Tibetan Buddhism "Middle Way". One thing at a time. Harm no living beings. Try not to speak poorly of others. No gossiping. Think positive.
I try to be as efficient as possible w/every aspect of my life.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Skinny jeans & slippers! Love, love, love skinny jeans, as they fit me perfectly!!! Afraid they will go the way of most low-cut jeans-poof! Slippers, just believe you need a pair for outside, inside, summer & winter!
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
This current retro trend of mixing 80's neon, loud patterns & 60's patterns in clothing. Went through 80's as a teen-young adult & didn't care for it then either. Except, back then, everything was made out of REAL 100% cotton!
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Got the family hips & boobs. Mom doesn't really dress for style. Jeans & T-shirts w/Birkenstocks (yes, she was a hippie of Silicon Valley). So, not really my fashion type. Plus, she wears no bra or makeup or jewelry-I do.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes. I got a high-paying job in the early tech sector. Went from middle class, blue collar office work to high paid, executive assistant. Had to change my work look to adapt to office culture.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Yes. I often wear political shirts. I also feel that women need to stop dressing to satisfy men and the supposed approval of other women.
16. Please describe your body.
petite, w/large hips, average breasts, larger than normal feet (9 1/2), wide shoulders (swimmer) & about average weight.
17. Please describe your mind.
Rather not. Keeping that part to myself
18. Please describe your emotions.
I live as compassionately as possible w/an open heart.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Lightweight, grey sweatpants for yoga, white T-shirt w/Native american design w/"Peace" on it in black, exercise bra underneath & black, fuzzy slippers. Black mascara & eyeliner. Hair is up in flat clip.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I believe that clothes can make a statement, if you want them to.
They say something about the person, whether the person knows it or not. But, do I judge people by their clothing? Sometimes, but I try not to.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
A female friend.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Do not understand. What institutions are you referring to?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste. I have good taste. Even when I was young, Mom always wondered where I got my great taste in high-end fabrics. Style is all about perception. Like junk: one person's idea of good style may be anothers idea of bad style.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A pair of Nine West leather boots. They fell apart in less than a year! Paid $100 in the 90's for them.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Every woman loves black! Black on top makes your top half look slimmer, but accentuates your bottom half & vice versa.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Whenever I'm not feeling well, but have responsibilities to take care of - I dress in whatever makes me feel better.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes. At my age, there's really no excuse for not knowing what you like/don't like. My family is a no-nonsense type about life & responsibility. I learned a lot by observing my elders, as I am an only child & also the eldest Cousin by 14yrs. Spent most of my childhood around adults.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Raised by single Mom. She taught me to take care of my things, because she couldn't afford to keep replacing them. She taught me how to do laundry & how to wash delicates. I was a bit overweight as a child, so she bought my pants in the boys section & made a lot of my blouses. So, I got a job as soon as I could to buy my own clothes when I'd lost the weight (14). Being heavy till Jr. High affected how I shop & what I wear a lot.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Been celibate for over 3 yrs. Don't really think about that.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Someone whom doesn't need makeup to look beautiful. Natural beauty is the best! Someone whom doesn't need expensive, fine clothing to look good. A great personality is really beautiful!
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Bad attitude. Rudeness. Selfishness. Greed. And body piercings....
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes & yes.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Have never-ever done this before. Why would I care what some 'stranger' thought?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Depending upon what I'm doing for the day & where I'm going is part of the decision process. How I feel is the other
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
to be dressed appropriately for the occasion
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing is putting on any old thing you want. Dressing up takes more thought & creativity. You generally think more about how others will see you. If you "fit" in the scene.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
low-cut skinny jeans w/a nice cotton blouse or T-shirt & sneakers (converse).
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Too much is "me": rock chick, classical dresser, conservative dresser, gym dress, punk dress, etc....
Not me: 4-inch heels, wedge heels (dangerous), platform shoes, regular cut jeans, high waisted jeans or slacks, wool peacoats, bright patterns, leggings w/the foot loop, knee-high boots w/pants tucked in (70's), boots w/a dress, tight fitting clothing
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Family has been here for hundreds of years. Most recently from MO during dustbowl. I'm anglo & sicilian. Blue-collar, Christian family. But, my Uncle's & Mother dress laid back style. However, we all follow our elders regarding customs: respect your elders, act like a lady/gentleman-always
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
late 1930's early 40's in the U.S.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I do not photograph well
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Anything requiring spanx!
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
More dresses. More close-fitting outfits.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
As a survivor of domestic abuse-yes. I became aware at various points in my life that I was [email protected] to ensure I would not be looked at or stand out.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Got to make sure eyebrows are plucked-no strays. Don't smell. Clean clothes. At least face powder & mascara.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Allergic to a lot of make-up, even "natural" products. Bare minimum
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Wedge shoes. They are ugly. They are dangerous to wear (ankles).
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
70%of wardrobe is jeans & T-shirts. 25% is blouses & sweaters. The rest is dressy clothes.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
low-cut skinny jeans & my mala beads
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Mickey Mouse bowling shirt. Used to wear it a long time ago. Keep it because it's in good shape & I love the design. Who knows? the day may come again....
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
Royal blue, terry cloth robe
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Buy less belts!
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Nine West leather boots & Nordstrom patterned leather jacket w/silk paisley inlay. Still own jacket. Wear it every blue moon or so.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect fitting blouse!
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Pretty darn neat! Have OCD
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
1st Boyfriend bought me a rabbit fur coat. It was so beautiful at the time. Now, it hangs in clothes bag.
80. How does money fit into all this?
No $$ no clothes!
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Sandlewood mala beads-made by Buddhist Nuns in Bhutan
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
Yes. One BF stated that he "Could see" my nipples through my [email protected] Made me very self-conscious. Been wearing some kind of padded bra ever since!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1968. Fremont, CA & ditto
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
It gave me my ethics & morals that I live by today
What kind of work do you do?
Non-profit HIV/Hep C
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
Domestic Abuse, cancer & LT HIV survivor living on SSDI
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Better. the questions make me wonder how much thought women do put into all this!