Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I wear heels or when I'm naked. Also, when my hair is messy and hot at the same time.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Those who walk with attitude and shine from the inside.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Good taste combined with elegant movements. It's not just how they wear their clothes and accesories, it's also about the way they use and move their bodies.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I began to feel confident with heels. Also, when a friend did my make-up and made me look like Keira Knightley.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Always discount shopping
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Bright vivid colors, always. It's all about making a great impression and showing my desire to live.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
When I attended a seminar about heels, their history and how to start using them if you never have before
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I value more being calm and relaxed rather than being happy
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Scarves because they're fun and I can't live without them in winter.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I bought a $150 Barcelona shirt for my boyfriend. I haven't spend that much in an item for me, ever.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Of course. Creepers, boyfriend jeans, etc. Stuff I don't find visually attractive and think it wouldn't look good on me.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother didn't know A THING about fashion. I had to learn on my own. Girls at school made fun of me because of my clothing's choices. Now I find it hard to trust women (still working on it), had to learn about fashion and cultural conventions on my own and now I'm the one who's teaching mom how to dress to impress.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Not really. I find inspiration on the internet or by watching how cool unknown people dress at the streets.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I'm not sure, but I feel lucky I don't have to cover my face, hair or body.
16. Please describe your body.
Thin, beautiful, hot, funny looking
17. Please describe your mind.
Open, relaxed, sometimes undergoing a lot of stress, but basically looking for peace of mind
18. Please describe your emotions.
I laugh all the time, but I consider myself an introvert, very melancholic when I was a teenager
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Nothing. I don't wear make up. I don't do my hair, just let it dry after I shower
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Fashion is very important. It can lead you to a happy fun life, as long as you're not a victim. And if you don't dress properly, it won't be a problem itself, but people can be evil and make fun of you. Those wounds take years to heal.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Mom, boyfriend, friends, myself (a lot).
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They can have boring dress codes, but that's less usual nowadays
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Sure! Taste is having a great eye, sensibility to find the beauty in variety and chaos. Style is about making what you wear part of your personality and way of life, giving your clothes your final touch, your own flavor. Both are important, but I apreciate taste more because it is really hard to find people with great taste. I think I have an excellent taste, no matter how casual I dress.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
It's a waste when you don't wear what you buy. If I spend $200 in purses I adore, I don't feel it's a waste
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
If you're pretty, no matter how cheap your clothes are... you can still look beautiful
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
As a graphic designer... I think I have style in most areas of my life!
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Heels make me gain a sense of control over any situation.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
It takes years to know what you like, in any area of life. It's a trial error process. My discernment comes from my experience, my education, my relationships with other people (good and bad). I think I know what I like because time and experiences have made me more conscientious about it.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My dad taught me that it's worth looking at every store, every option, before buying something. Besides, he had a great eye. My mom didn't teach me much, but that lack of learning from my family made me a fashion autodidact and eventually defined my personality.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
There are lots of options, but wearing heels is the cherry of the pie
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
That they've undergone through so much shit that they've learned not to care about other people's opinions or even bad luck, they just live and focus on having as much fun as possible
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
It's like always making experiments. There's a part about it that's about playing, trying new things, having fun. And there's another part that's about focusing, being concentrated, learning from trials and errors
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Nature. Things or people that look light and sort of magical
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Hatred, poisoned people. You can see their poison in the way they dress and act
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes, with time you just learn. Besides, it's easier to avoid mistakes when you've made just so many
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
This is too complex. I just focus in whether I look cool or not. Seeing myself in the mirror is like seeing some sort of stranger. I love the mystery about strangers, not knowing what they like, dislike or what judments they have... yet.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I spend more time in the shower than getting dressed
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Feeling comfortable and looking sort of cool
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up sounds like making too much of an effort
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Hot teenage school girl. My school didn't have a uniform. I always wanted to look like a normal school girl, with a blouse, plaid skirt and all
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me: relaxed, hot, pink girl
Not me: poser, fake, brand obsessed girl
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I live in a traditional society. It's fun because whenever I dress sexy I feel like I'm provoking everyone. It's also fun because I look up at all the different ways people dress in other cultures and try to insert some part of their coolness into my culture. I think many teens are doing that nowadays, with the internet and all. They don't limit theirselves to their own cultural background.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
My mom dressed me all in grey colors when I was 11 to 14. It was ok, until I began realizing everyone at school made fun of me because I didn't look hot or like an adult.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I wear make up only when I want to make an impression (about three times a year). I wear heels when I want to feel powerful (that happens much more often).
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I always wear something that feels like "me", like an unicorn necklace or something
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
I love tennis clothing, especially tennis skirts. So sexy!
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
I adore them
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
It's more equal and fun. Boundaries are challenging
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Skinny jeans, wedge sneackers and a cute top. I like that combination because it's simple, hot and comfortable
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I wish I was as cool and elegant as some men are, like James Bond for instance
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Paris or Milano nowadays
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Sometimes I don't look that good in photographs, but I know I'm very attractive and full of magic
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Many models, actresses and film characters... I love Natalia Vodianova, Nastassja Kinski in Paris Texas, Natalie Portman in The Professional, Eva Green in The Dreamers, and so on...
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Sure. I dream I shop the stuff I want in real life, and sometimes it becomes a nightmare because I can't seem to find it
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Dressing like a nun
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Miniskirts I guess
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Not anymore. I tried to attract boys for several years, but now I've had so many relationships I no longer care that much
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Don't underestimate the power of dressing well
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Sometimes. Maybe 10 times a year. It's great, but the best are quite expensive
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Iron them, haha
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
It's ok, but I'm the kind of girl that looks great without makeup
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Maybe looking like a sexy latina woman, showing my breast and all. I don't really care, I prefer looking like a skinny California girl
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Lots of pink clothes, jeans, kawaii accesories
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Great jeans always become my favorites
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Dresses I wear every once in a while. Maybe once or twice a year
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Great jeans, great shoes, fun accesories
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I wish I hadn't lost so many rings in cheap hotels
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My grandpa's hat
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
I'd buy more heels
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Leather bags. I still own them and wear them, I love them
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Maybe my first white blouses were an awkward but necessary purchase
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A sexy overall
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I'm really neat
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
A swatch watch, it surprised me because I never expected to own it
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A leather bag. I bought it to feel less miserable (I had a terrible day). Later on, it became my precious!
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Whenever I feel like having fun
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Just not bad
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
Heels make me feel I can make anything possible
80. How does money fit into all this?
Money's important, but you can be stylish without spending that much
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
My Swatch watch
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
When friends see me wearing heels they act different
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
When girls in my class started making fun of me, at 11ish
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
March 10, 1988. I was born and live in Lima, Peru
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'll never be rooooooyal, royal...
What kind of work do you do?
Graphic design and fashion business
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single, no kids thanks
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I love having fun
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
My name is Claudia Alejandra and I love cookies and ice cream