Read Surveys (By Author)
Annelena de Groot
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when i have something i wear and i'm totally confident about, can be because someone said it looks really good on me or just because i feel it's badass. also, any time i'm really happy with something new, and i'm wearing it and feel like i have the perfect dress :)
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
ah, i mostly notice woman who wear "crazy" things, like really colourfull dresses or big skirts, or people that are just perfectly put togheter, it always makes me motivated to step up my game.. one time, i saw this girl walking in this extrordanairy skirt and was thinking about it, and when i looked closer i found out it was a friend of mine, the thing is, i already had judged her way of dressing, and somehow it did and didn't match with her actual persona, it was a very intresting experience :)
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
i think i mostly admire the people who are able to put together an overal look that's flawless: right bottoms, right tops, right shoes, right jackets right accesories, i can really be struck by such things because even though i try doing that, i feel i rarely do it flawlessly.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I think my dad told me that dressing up, or putting on make-up isn't just about pleasing other people, but a way to express selfworth, and i still get very happy when i actually work on a look, and it works out and i feel very confident :). also, i always got a lot of compliments form some older people who are like substitute grandparents, i realised they are not just saying i look good to be nice, they're saying what other people won't (like the guy you really need to tell you he thinks you look pretty). they're some of the few people who can just be honest with you, and i've decided to take their word for it. :)
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
i only buy things when i truly love them, and can go months without buying a thing. that in combination with me being constantly broke howoever did result in not having a decent winter jacket last year and wearing the one i loved and bought when i was 12. it's red and lime green and my family was embarassed to walk with me wearing it, but it felt like it filled my needs. long story short i tend to not (want to )spend on things i need, but do buy things i do not need but love.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
even though i do feel like people who are very wel put together dresswise are wonderfull, i like to leave things slightly of: wear the wrong shoes, or the wrong jacket, just because i feel more like myself than when being super perfect.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
being in a shop in amsterdam wearing a super tight full-lenght vintage dress that was absolutely perfect size-wise i complained to the sales-woman: but when do i wear something like this? and she said: when/why do you wear something like this? today, because it's abeautiful day in amsterdam and you love this dress. it inspires me to wear the things i want to wear without endlessly waiting for the "right" moment.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
haha the unified way is inprovise: ofcourse you'll have to be carvull/realistic, but everything will be provided for. that's also how i have experienced my life right now. as a christian i feel like God gives me what i need whatever/whenever. like paulo coelho writes in the algemist "you always will have the needs to forfill your personal legend"
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
haha. ehm. do'nt have that many ultiples but i do have 2 pairs of pink shoes (and would have more if i had the money) and lots of purple dresses. it's because i absolutly love the colours and they look good on me. problem: half of my closet doesn't go well with the rest colour-wise.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
ah, that's a hard question. i do know that some of the things my sister gave me, a pashmina scarf and a little purse i love and apreaciate a lot because the're perfect for traveling. don't feel like i'm such a succesfull gift giver myself yet.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
hahah a lot of them, mostly because i don't have any money to keep up with trends..
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
ehm. would say i do have the same obsesive idea about fashion as to wheter something is balenced or is good together but my mum does value fashion or her body in a different way.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
ah! yes! most of my favorite clothes where either formely my sisters, from one of my brothers or my father: guys jeans are perfect for being made into skirts.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
hm. actually i don't think so. that said i never am really good in putting together a certain stile, i basicly just wear what i like/love and even though it changes/evaluates over time i never really change my style radicly.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
oh yes! hahaha i always dress very thoughfully. I don't push myself to be the pretty fashion girl that maybe i could be because i feel like i would be pushing so heard to achieve and ideal that i don't even like. also it has to do with how i want to or do not want to be seen as a woman: at i don't want to be forced to dress or not dress a certain way because it could be offensive to someone/people won't like it.
16. Please describe your body.
i have a hourglas figure and am a smalsize, not really skinny, and not fat, i love my body :)
17. Please describe your mind.
ah! all over the place! i do think my mind is more important than my body mostly because i hate being judged by the way i look in a judgmental or sexual way, that is not a conversation but just a one way street.
18. Please describe your emotions.
they are quite loud. if i feel something, i'll let you know. also they're quite bi-polar and can be influenced by other people ('s emotions)
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
i'm wearing nothing on my skin, and my hair isn't done because i washed it and it's still wet and am sitting at home (procastinating: i should be going in to town or doing my homework but instead i fill in this survey because i love giving my opion, and saw this book lately and thought it was one of the most intresting/intruging things in a long time). + i'm wearing jeans and a oversized hoodie that's for being at home doning nothing only and socks that do not match.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
ah, this stuff? you mean the book, of what i wear etc? i feel like it's at the very core of who i am, thinking about how i dress, how i dress, not putting or do putting make-up on, it's my voice to the world. that said, i also have an "i don't care" attitude: i can't really be moved by what people might or might not think about me.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
ah, mum, dad, brother, (my dead and my brother are mostly the people i ask on a sunday morning: is this ok. and they are very honest :) sometimes i listnen to them, somthings i just think: whatever, i want this.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
i'm not sure, though i do think that for me the church has always been very important to the way i dress not because they say so many things about whether or not to wear something but because in the dutch society there's not a lot of places where you can go and dress up, you're very overdressed. going to church i could always wear something fancy i wouldn't wear to university/school
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
hm. i do have taste, i do have maybe a certain style but it isn't all thought trough well, i'm not cerrtain i could describe my style. i could best describe it as accidental.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
hm. i think buying shoes for 40 euro's i thought were a very good deal but i only wore them a few times and the sole came of.. i still can/have to fix them, but that will cost again and i don't have the money right now.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
hahhaha. ehm. i went to an opening of an art bienale being dressed 90% in someone elses clothes (shoes, jewellery, clutch) in paris, i didn't know i would go there when packing and a girl at the hostel i was staying let me borrow it all. it felt perfect!
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
hmm not neccecarilly but if my fashion style discription is "accicental" than you could say i apply that style in all area's of my life.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
yes. going out on the streets at night wearing my brothers big leather jacket gave me a sense of safety.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
yes. i would say so, though sometimes i'm out of balance and i'm not so sure.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
so my mom always tought me to not wear things to sexy/revealing or whatever because guys tend to think/act different than women that kind of thing, and my dad actually would say: you can dress a bit more feminin etc. it's no harm. so I just kind of dicided my own terms and situations /dress ways in which i did or did not feel comfortable.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
basicly taking care of everything, or at least overthinking what i want to show or not, being concience of my body. i make sure the picutre feels right for me. :)
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
well, i would say i'm most of the time comfortable and confident but that's my safety zone, so coming out of that is quite scary but somethimes admirable ;)
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
balance things! in the way you want them: do you want to be more dressed up, or comfortable, colourfull or whatever, balance those things, not just wear "the right clothes/shoes" but the right clothes/shoes for the outfit/the feeling you like to create
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
quality. things that match and are balanced.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
"trash" bad quality, meaningless, impersonal stuff
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
yes :) though must say i often do not buy things but get them/swap them, than it's less important weather you'll wear it a lot. mostly i'll just see if i really love it/feel confortable in it.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
hm. i'm not sure. i think i more look at myself the way i would look at other woman in the street: would i find them pretty, though most of the time it's more abstract than that. i never thought of it in this way.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
weather, what i'll feel comfortable in, what i'll have to do. what i feel like wearing (mostly this takes 5-20 minutes) mostly i go with what i feel like wearing
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
creating/showing a certain image i have of myself, comfort.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up i'll look at myself more carefully, take more /better care of myself, while when dressing i only think of what will be confortable, dressing up i'll think of "do i like the way i look/wil others like it,
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
hard one. probably a dress, with a wide skirt and tight top, fiftes, length above knees. pockets!, sleves, and a neckline that's both pretty and functional: a dress that i won't have to worry about.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
dresses, wearing a certain style just because it's all over the stores, the typical fashionista one.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
i'm dutch, reletively "strict" christian. i think it has influcenced me in such way that i both learnt that dressing is important/can say something yet you shouldn't judge people on their clothes/shouldn't be to bothered by what other people think: that's not the point of/in life.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
can't really say. though when i was younger/not feeling so happy/angry at the world i thought more about/felt more about what i wore and why. i'm still a very emotional dresser.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
wear something either a bit more plain/a bit more dressed so a bit less personal i guess. must say i don't have a lot of experience in doing so.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
i don't have a fulltime/regular workplace right now, but do my experience about dress expectations/regulations is that i find them verry enoying and restricting. i once had to wear plain black shoes, and searched all over town to find them, bought some, and then they were not approved. instead i had to borrow shoes that were a lot more onconfortable/unsafe. so i mostly think it's very ristricting and most of the times unnecsisary
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
at my work place: it does make sure you'll have something to wear once you have the outfit, and you won't have to think about what to wear.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
i guess jeans and a nice longsleve sweather i have that is both comfortable and quite neat.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
oh, no, but i have no problem in crossdressing, think somethimes guys clothes are just soooooo comfortable. and functional!
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
oeh :) end of the 19th century, french fashion > paris or london. perfect.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
no, not really, though i do have some pretty pictures of myself.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
right. that's who i am. i always forget, don't think of my self a lot of how others see mee, more of how i feel about myself.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
fifties fashion: perfect! theatre de la mode: that's just magical. i made my self some dresses inspired by it.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
ah, yes. lots of them! i actually sew/design clothes from time to time/do/did a course on sewing/designing so many dreams involve clothes!
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
ow. ehm. i don't know, guess the current fashion looks that are based on skinny/flat/tall people instead of a little shorter curvy ones.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
oh, i actually think it's pretty perfect ;) and i like my body because it's perfect for the kind of things i like to wear: fifties like dresses.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
ah, there were many guys, especially one guy, somethimes i would make something the day befor i might see him to look good. nowadays, yes, when i dress i realize i often have a person in my head that i actually wish would see me like that. actually they're always guys, and sadly it never works out ;)
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
wear what fits with your body type/ personality. don't wear things just because they're in fashion/ wear what you like/dram of. though i must say i think most woman dress better then me:
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i most of the times don't like it. i don't wear it and always get unconfortable about people who swear by it.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
thinghs that go together: right shoes, etc.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I actually rarely use it, and only put it on because i like the process of putting it on and "painting" myself, and then it wears of/ my mascara is not waterproof and i am very enoyed by it.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
not neccecarily a look, but i don't often use make up and such, and my sister often reads it as "you don't care"/"you don't think about it"/"you don't care how you look" and it frustrates me because it's not true, I just don't feel i need it in order to feel good about myself.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
lots of dresses, lots of jeans, always wear the same sliver ring, necklace and bracelet, & every once in a while buy earings that are on sale and then obsesivly were them untill they're broken/ lost and then when i come across ones i like buy new ones.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
my green leather jacket to name one, but i have a few, but the leather jacket is just perfect, it goes with anything.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a very shiny blue taffeta skirt that goes with nothing but i made it myself and i like it, it's just so shiny that it only is appropriate for cristmas.. (and i already worn it once on cristmas, and don't like wearing the same thing again)
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
oh! yes. i lost the first pashmina shawl my sister gave to me and that i had with me when going to south africa and traveling europe, it was perfect and has so many stories attached to it, i still feel that loss every once in a while.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
my green leather jacket.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
nothing i guess. i could say : shop more consistenly/buy more things that match but that's not really me..
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
hah! my red/lime green winter jacket. i wanted it so bad when i was in "groep 8" the last elementery school class before high school here in the netherlands. my mom thought it was to expensive (it was 80 euros) so i had to pay 30 euros myself, and i did, and i actually saved it all this time and it still fits and i wore it last year because it's warm and i didn't have another winter jacket
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
i think my leather jacket: at some point i owned 7 jackets for spring (which are no use) and said to myself: i can only buy another one when it's leater, and that will probalby never happen because they're soooo expensive, and than i found this one 50 % off. and i accomplished my goal :) both not buying a new jacket unless it was leather and ending up with a leather jacket.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
good dressy flat shoes.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
to full. and badly organised. it's a mess.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
ah, many things! my grandma knitted/crochet a dress for me, my mom bought me jewelery, my dad did, my father bought me shoes and tights, all kind of things i'm still very happy with. especially the sweetnes of my dad: me: i would like this but i can't afford it, and him saying "than i'll pay for it"
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
i once had to buy black shoes for work, and i purchased them the day before, and they were actually rejected (i used some old ones i actually had in my closet already) but i ended up wearing them almost every day that summer when not working :)
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
when i have spare time and feel like walking around the city.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
i'm very ambitous dress wise.
80. How does money fit into all this?
i don't have any! so my accidental style is forced/fueled by that, but i wouldn't have it any other way :) it makes you creative.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
a necklace that my mother gave me on my 18th birthday (i added a key, she hates it, but it has a special meaning to me, and people ask about it often) and a ring that's a lot of hearts attached to eachoter
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
i do think my dad and my brother had a huge impact on my style and how i view people.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
:) my mom made me a dress that you could change: there where buttons and different thinks like pockets or pieces like that and i remember sunday mornings deciding how i wanted the dress to look, and why.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
29-01-1993 i was born in a small city in the netherlands but now i live in Amsterdam
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
i was raised in a cristian home not really rich, not really poor, taking care of stuff, mending and wearing/appriciating things you like/love are of quality instead appraised by everyone was imortant.
What kind of work do you do?
i study art history, with a focus on fashion and textiles.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
since i was young i made dresses for my barbies and myself, i still do that, i'm fiercely pasionate about fashion, fabrics and style yet for myself i don't take my value out of my sens of dress.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
wow. i really liked it, it really made me look and think of my own way, and identity that is actually very connected to fashion, and style.
21 year old art history student: style icons: my grandma she has great style, some time ago we went over to her place, we're supposed to be working on some farm things and i comented: you look really pretty/well put togheter: and she said: sometimes you have to make some effor. that inspires me! > english is not my first language, and spelling not my strong suit, hope it's still understandable! loved filling this out!