Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When i Am combining warmth and sexyness.. And of course feel good about myself
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Woman who's express their beauty and energy
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Their selfawareness combined with genuine interest in others
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I had lost some weight and started to pay attention to the feminine in me... It was after a period of slow down when I got back into the work again
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I have my "hungry-to-find-something-new" moments when I go out and find new things, often not the best buys
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I will make my belly disappear from the "picture"
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
One with a stylist who connected style with a freedom and care for self... Liberating and helpful as she taught me to "finish" an outfit better.. Use some assessoires and makeup..
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I believe in simplicity and following my own creative flow
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Sneakers... Like to walk in on them. Certain good underwear& tank tops..
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes... Even regularly think of how I would have liked to have it myself, wondering if it is used
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Neon colours... Nail crazyness
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
She passed away young but what I remember is her outspokenness; I am as well not afraid to "show up" at times- but think of myself as more "mainstream" and less extravagant
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes, short jackets.. Sometimes jewellery or colour combinations
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
After my loosing weight when I became more conscious about wanting to honour and radiate the beauty from within
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
For work I will adjust to the setting... I show more conservative then I actually am
16. Please describe your body.
I am a shorter then average person- 1.645m, have a well shaped body with relatively long legs, a waist (but small belly) and breasts that are larger then average. My bone structure is somewhat fragile and my face open. I think of myself as somewhat "round"; soft/ warm at my best..
17. Please describe your mind.
I have an inquisitive and curious open mind, sometimes too serious but often positive and seeking for possibilities and appreciation
18. Please describe your emotions.
I am pretty strongly emotional; sadness and joy, happiness and empathy for myself, but mainly also others and the world, play out emotionally; at this stage in my life I feel exhausted and at times I overwhelmed by emotions; yet I stay with them
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
A comfortable jeans, socks and no shoes (sitting on my couch on a Sunday afternoon); pullover also petrol blue and a dark blue vest; no makeup or jewellery
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It expresses a part of who I am and how i am
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They often have some cultures
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have taste and when I feel like it I have style
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Yes a pair f very expensive shoes
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Combine layers rather then just 1 item
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I think that I have style in being a conversation partner
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Many times when I "have to show up" or perform, I will lean on-and gain confidence over having a nice outfit
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I do have a discerning between "what matches me" and what not- this is beyond clothing.. And at times I need to adjust but particularly with people I think that I have a nose for honest and compassionate people
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Not at all- I picked it all up from my environment
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I spend some time caring about it all and make myself feel good; which is as much about how I feel as how I dress
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable for me is warm and safe- in my own she'll whilst being out.. Confident is when I feel on top and knowledgeable or in a strong connection with what I do, who I am with, etc
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
A harmony of colours and playfulness with details are important elements for me... I can keep enjoying this during the day..
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Sparkling people.. Sparkling beauty; open and inviting
34. What do you consider very ugly?
An overdrive in selfish, egotistic indulgence- not seeing the world around anymore
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Not fully but working on it
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
A radiant at times energetic, tastefully and somewhat sexy dressed self conscious individual
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I consider what I am doing that day and how I feel I want to show up- and how much ch energy I have
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
I want to feel good about myself and warm and comfortable in the environments that I will move in
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
The level of comfortableness is less important when dressing up
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
European, slim fitting dark blueish with a nice shirt and long earrings
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Not me: too dramatic or sloppy
Me: playful, warm, supportive and sexy
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Dutch middle class; not too "visible"; on the other hand my mother who was around in my first 9yrs was more artistic... I guess I conbibe those two
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I was at times very self unconscious and dressed without much purpose- very casual
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I style it off better with eye for detail
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I will wear an outspoken shawl or piece of jewellery
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
A short dress with basic natural colour (dark blue or grey) with high boots below- I like its combined comfort, femininity, feels as in showing up but in my own way
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
The sixties maybe
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Not at all
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I often look at my face and my expression/ how was I feelibg; and then wonder why I did"t spend a minute on my hair/makeup... I like to see colour and details on me
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
At one point I wodnered about being a designer
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Plastic and cheap without a hint of fun and play
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Perhaps more dresses
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Dress as you feel and not according to someone else's expectations
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I like a hint of it
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Stay fit and not overeat
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I think that it can be the finishing touch
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I own a good set of neutral nice pieces, less colourful beautiful more middle class- my jewellery is nice sweet, fragile, not big and outspoken
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
A set of earrings long hanging pearls and a sweet necklace with it that is very different with very small gemstones and gold and had a pearl hanger in the middle
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Some blouses that are colours I lve but that I cannot match easily with my normal outfits
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Some basic colours- high design and well fitting pieces- shoes that both sit well as well as look good; those are often small or higher boots
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A short black miniskirt with a zipper in the middle back
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
One particular dress grey/black
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Be not e clear on my particular style upfront and not buy what is presented to look nice
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Some jewellery that I still enjoy
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Perhaps m&f black leather pants
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Pretty organised, colour and style wise
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Yes several jewellery pieces mainly
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Yes, a black jacket
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Not well planned
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I like to lightly smell of flowers
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I dress for an occasion
80. How does money fit into all this?
When I can buy quality it will stay much longer
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
A purple "suit" rib, I think I was 12 or so and very happy with it... I also remember once at elementary school with our school fotos being taken and me wearing a set of stockings il with a hole right on my knee and feeling shame..
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Dutch, high education, high income group
What kind of work do you do?
Have my own consulting business and taking a doctorate studies
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single with a small dog
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Good- hope to be able to collect my own answers for reading back