Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Showered and dressed up after a workout.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
From a professional point of view it's second nature to me to watch other women. Not judging, just observing and analyzing. I admire women who are completely at ease in their attire, even if it's not age- or body-appropriate. If they feel like they're on top of the world - they are! I admire that!
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
If you know the rules, it's easy to break them and be comfortable about that. At some point during my late twenties I stopped caring what others would think about me. I think it's just part of growing up.
Also, other people (women) from the same age stop being jealous and therefore unkind (part of growing up too!). They will appreciate the dress-choices you make instead of giving out to you.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I cant stop buying cheap H&M basic stuff which I know I will throw out after a few wears. Complete waste of money. Why do I still do that?
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I give style and clothing advice for a living so i have loads of those!
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Always make sure you can look at yourself in the mirror each day. Karma. Trust your guts. Do what makes you happy. Don't follow the crowd if you really want to do something else. Know it will be ok.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I keep stocking white T-shirts, black underwear, patterned socks. Can't live without basics! And happy socks make me happy!
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I'm usually spot on. Especially the red leather band with silver clasp I gave my mother in law. She wears it every day. I feel best about the advice I give though!
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I did the crop top when I was in my late teens, but wont do it now. Too old and not skinny enough.
Also the shorts over tights-thing. Don't get that. You either wear shorts (with bare legs) or you wear a skirt. Not both. Dare to make a choice people!
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
She was Always into buying good, elegant, classic clothes. I learned that from her.
She was Always dieting, which made me start to think I was too fat from the age of thirteen. Now I'm 6 months postpartum and I wished I had appreciated my body a lot more!
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yup. After I changed jobs at the age of 25 I "became myself" instead of trying to be somebody. So relieving!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
not at all.
16. Please describe your body.
Hourglass, 10kg overweight due to eating cookies etc during pregnancy. Wish I hadnt! The kilos are evenly spread so I still look allright. Trying to get them off asap though.
17. Please describe your mind.
Quick thinker. Always trying to approach from different sides and outside the box. Tuning in on other people to better understand. I like to not Always have to have an opinion.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Even commercials can make me cry at the moment but i fully blame that on the hormones or perhaps just being a mom. I'm not actually sad. I don't have a lot of unresolved issues left. I'm a happy girl! Never in a bad mood, not easily mad. Easy going.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Er.. you really wanna know?
Havent showered yet, so nothing on my face or body yet. (but it would be Dr vanderHoog) Havent combed my hair and its up in a bun. Wearing dark grey sweats, an oatmeal colored cashmere sweater, a pink huge desert scarf, polkadot socks. Working at home today!
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Clothes & looks do a hell of a lot for your non-verbal impression so it's definitely important! If you look scruffy with chipped fingerpolish, creases and labels sticking out of your shirt, people will think you're nonchalant in general. If you dare to wear prints, colors or other outspoken garments, people will think your confident , even if it isnt really the case. And so on and so on.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I have taste and style, I dress body and age- appropriate and mix it with trends I like and that suit me. To me style and taste dont exist without the other.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Never wasted money on a garment.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Tuck your not so tight (T-)shirt in your pants. That way a few things happen:
1) you cant really tell what your tummy is doing underneath
2) you get creases from chest to waistband which gives you an optical narrow waist, even if the shirt isnt tight
3) your lower body is so much longer than your upper body, which makes you taller which makes you slimmer
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
my interior is pretty stylish, i like to travel, i like vintage, i like photography, i like to cook and i like to be inspired. Thats a style right?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
do that every day
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
yes. i do a lot of self-reflection. I know who I am, what I want and what makes me happy. That makes it easy to make choices on any front
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
i picked a few things up. To my father I was Always underdressed, but I disappointed him on all kinds of things all the time, haha.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
wear nice materials, wear black, dont wear cardigans, but a shirt or jacket instead, wear matching underwear, a bare neck, so no scarves, regular (basic) make-up but then added a little blush to the cheeks. Oh and perfume!
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I feel confident in my clothes when they are comfortable. I dont want my clothes to distract me from what i;m doing.
I know that you can trick people into thinking you are either of those just by dressing well. I can help you with that!
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
people who are not afraid to be themselves. people who are comfortable in their own skin
34. What do you consider very ugly?
people who try to be someone they are not. lots of make-up to hide themselves, yuk.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
i wear everything i would be very bad at my job if i wasnt able to do that :)
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
what i'm doing that day and who i'll be seeing. have they seen me in my fvourite outfit du jour yet?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
if i'm meeting people i'll try to look the best i can. If not, i'll just dress comfortably.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
black. skinny denim, a silk top and a long boyfriend fitted blazer, flat shoes like loafers or brogues
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
prints are not me. girlish finishings on clothes are not me.
quality materials in clean designs are very me
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
wear a jacket
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
i'll find a nice contrast somewhere which is right at the right edge of not-done
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
denim + blazer. classic, elegant, feminine, strong
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
yes. but it helps to want to BE in the picture.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
at the moment? i need to loose the babyfat haha! but still a good face.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
the whole fashion development up from the forties till the nineties!
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
looks that involve girly dresses.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
same as now but would show my butt!
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
when i dress for meeting people i try to inspire
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
get a shower
apply eye-make up
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
it gives definition to my face
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
the perfect coat (but i dont like coats)
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
sort of neat.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
only when i feel the need for a particular item. I shop online or in stores and go for what i need. no browsing for myself.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I dont Always wear perfume, but when I do my boyfriend Always says "hey, you smell like my girlfriend!" -which is very sweet. I like to smell like his girlfriend!
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I Always have a Labello and my sunglasses with me
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
born 07/13/1981 in the Netherlands, living in Utrecht, the Netherlands,
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
middle class white
What kind of work do you do?
personal stylist and shopper
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
living together with my boyfriend, one 6month old daughter
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
halfway i skipped to the end, the list is just too long! After a while i just go blank!
personal stylist & shopper, loves people, fashion, food, music, photography, vintage, NY, London, Paris, Madrid, Antwerp, Berlin