Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
yes. put together, not too dressy, attractive
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I am way stricter about colors matching than most - I see lots of outfits out there with colors that do not go together
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
in search of best fit.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
most. i feel silly
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
she is more conservative than me. but I am too.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
stopped working in an office
16. Please describe your body.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
all over the place
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
yoga pants, long sleeve shirt
hair is down (long)
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
taste - can't afford style
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
happens often when I shop at discount stores
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
sticky dots to keep shirt from popping open
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
yes. developed over time.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
my mother told me to cover myself up
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
show my boobs
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable = not anxious, confident = pulled together
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
know your good points and highlight them
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
what i will do - gym, clean or something more fun hopefully
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
look good feel comfortable
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
jeans and t-shirt
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
you - casual, sexy not you - leopard prints
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
irish it hasn't
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
didn't wear a bra for a few years - and I've got quite a pair (think kate uptown). i was young and they were perky!
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
jeans and t-shirt. easy, classic
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
yes. life is easier and safer for men.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
1968 San Francisco
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
glammed up blonde
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
my husband - I dress attractively when I go with him. and when I go out with just my girlfriends I dress in a way that does not highlight me (to keep the guys away).
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
take a shower put on clean clothes
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
hard to wear - my mother rammed it into my head that only "whores" who were "asking for it" wore makeup. I'm 50 now and I still don't know how to put my face on.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
preppy like my town
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
casual clothes and a nice assortment of dressy stuff.
gorgeous wedding ring but not a lot of other jewelry - maybe earrings if I remember to put them on.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
sexy red dress my husband bought me first year we were married
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
sweaters I have worn out
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy less. huy much higher quality.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
awesome shearling coat
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
when I need something
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
80. How does money fit into all this?
wish I had more -- would dress beter
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
was told I had huge boobs (I don't they are 36C). but I have a small waist so they look big
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
as a kid. clothes would be too small, but money was tight
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
12/11/65 boston hingham, ma
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
married. 2 kids
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
i'm not much of a dresser
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
about the same