Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
MY ORIGINAL ANSWER: when i feel my most "me" and am wearing what feels most me / the make up that is most me. so usually that involves tassels, velvet, clashing patterns that clash but aren't too bold about it, tights, newest pair of shoes, big eyeliner and something a bit bosomy but not TOO bosomy. fine distinctions.
MY EDITED ANSWER: i've actually thought about it and it sounds so crap and i hate myself for it but it's actually when i feel like VALIDATED. when my hair looks nice and i am wearing something that is body fitting but not enough to make me uncomfortable and when other people (my friends) have been like "yeah, you look really attractive" > focusing on that word. because usually i don't really dress to feel attractive i guess? i just sort of dress what feels most me.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
of course! so much! i really admire people that don't look very put together - so sometimes a bit of a mess but it works. but at the same time women whose hair/make up/clothes are totally perfect. like i remember being about 12 and seeing this really tall women with long glossy black hair / really thin body and all black clothes and just instantly wishing i looked like that, when i am a 5"5 blonde curly haired chubbmeister.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
when they really really don't care about what other people think about their outfits, but they're doing it for themselves
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
i think a couple of years ago (i'm 19) i just thought fuck it, i'm just going to wear what i like and what i want rather than asking for approval - still something i'm focusing on. my hair is naturally quite all over the place and sometimes quite wavy and curly and i used to straighten it badly, but nowadays i prefer it to be as messy and all over the place as possible.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
the dressing for shape thing. i have really enormous boobs and wearing high necklines looks APPALLING ON ME - and because i have a round tummy i never ever wear anything that is tight fitting around that area. but with anyone else i would be on board the "wear what you want regardless of size and shape!" train firmly.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
i have lots of friends that like to dress very simple and classic and so would therefore never ever wear the stuff i like to wear. i've noticed that instead of complimenting clothes i wear people are usually more like "oh, that's very YOU" unless we share similar tastes. i guess the wishes of my friends to sort of blend in and their worrying that people might think their clothes are a bit "too out there" if they don't match or something inspires me even more to just not care what anyone would think of what i wear regardless of what it is, whether it's "out there" or really really not
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
bodycon black skirts to go under short dresses. black dresses in lots of different fabrics and styles
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
crop tops because my stomach is the size of canada
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
my mother basically had the perfect body in my opinion before children (slim whilst still having curves) but i feel like i never GOT this body. her old clothes are so great and beautiful but much more classic than things i wear, there are a few items i have inherited but on the whole our clothing styles are very different. my mum likes things to be ironed and perfect and to match in a stylish as opposed to boring way whereas i don't really bother with trying those things
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
YES. so many of my best friends clothes live in my wardrobe. my friend fern bought this beautiful red velvet kimono a couple of years ago and it just inspired this huge PASSION for kimonos in me and i now own six of them. and one of my other friends dresses very goth and black and leather and stuff and although that's not totally my thing i like to try it every once in a while.
16. Please describe your body.
i'm about five foot five/six and i did put my weight here before i realised it would be posted. i have slim legs and size G breasts and i hate my stomach because it isn't flat or anywhere NEAR flat. it's really round and sits out and it's just so gross. sounds so dramatic but is true. i have quite a long face and badly dyed blonde hair that is shoulder length and really wavy and curly. i have brown eyes and a line of moles that lead from my left eye to my mouth.
17. Please describe your mind.
i feel like the first word that comes to mind (sorry) is that it's quite fast and creative and plays with words a lot. i can't go through a conversation without flashing over something someone said in reference to something else, whether it's a film reference or tv reference or book reference or something someone said to me four years ago or whatever. it's very self-deprecating and can''t decide between being unable to take ANYTHING seriously and being seriously intense about the stuff that MATTERS.
18. Please describe your emotions.
a ~~~colour palette that moves just as quickly, but is permanently rooted somewhat in yellow or orange, even if just a tinge.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'M SO DISAPPOINTED I'M NOT WEARING SOME GORGEOUS OUTFIT AND I'M SAT IN MY PYJAMAS. i have my best friend's PJ bottoms on, black leggingy things with "MAD COW" written over them about 38983745 times. classy. i am wearing a black t shirt and no make up (just remnants of yesterdays eye make up actually) and my favourite rings and my hair is in a bun that's falling out.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
i think it's important because it summons a vision of a person and who they are and how they think, but also equally important because sometimes it REALLY doesn't do that, at least not for me. there are some occasions where i completely thing "absolutely not, not today, not BOTHERING" and then end up being unable to leave without at least putting on SOME MAKE UP (despite promising self was going without) and still changing my clothes 3-4 times. i think what we wear can be a really good expression of ""who we are"""" as clichéd as that sounds.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
my style sort of leaks over onto everything - how i write, what my room looks like, what sort of decorations i like and stuff
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
there was this time i felt really really miserable and horrible about myself and i just thought that i needed to feel like ME that day, so i wore my sort of go to outfit which was a navy floral dress with a black and purple kimono, tights with sparkly bits on them, red velvet boots and a black coat and a red and black scarf and big eyeliner wings.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
i think lipstick makes me feel more "alluring". and when my eye make up goes right. and when my hair is sort of big and messy. and when i have a good amount of cleavage/leg on show, but not too much.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
for me, "comfortable" is stuff i don't feel self-conscious in and which is actually warm and you know, COMFORTABLE. so often that comes out in my wardrobe as pretty boring - usually like a black t-shirt and black jeans or leggings or something. "confident" feels like when you're wearing something you know some people might think looks stupid or ugly but you really really like it and don't care and feel at home in it.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
i love it when things don't match and when they're sort of bohemian ish and rich in colours and when they reflect on a person. i am thinking about bedrooms here in this sense for some reason and how much i love mine, because it has pictures everywhere and magazine pages and cd booklets and clothes and diaries and books and it is a total mess and other people probably wouldn't like it, but it's mine and it feels very unique to me.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
i don't like minimalist stuff, natural looking stuff, plain stuff, boring looking stuff, matching stuff, bland colours
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
no i am a terrible terrible judge! i sometimes buy things thinking about what a mistake it is and then they become my favourite item for months on end
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
yes i do that so much and then it becomes an inner struggle of "am i really ugly or alright looking or pretty?"
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
it changes every day
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up means i can wear more make up and my favourite dresses and it's for a reason and it's not out of place
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
i'm from a town in south england and i find that a lot of people i see around and stuff seem to just wear matchingy combinations of jeans and a pretty top or a practical t shirt and that's fine and everything but personally i just don't like that sort of style at all.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
less eye make up and straighter hair
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
i sometimes wish i had a man's stomach and flat chestedness because most guys have figures that would look better in clothes than i do. which when i think about it is really stupid because I'M A WOMAN
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
i would live in 1960s / 1970s london.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
i would wear all the dresses i've tried on that are suited for people with flat stomachs and smaller chests.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE so right now, no, i'm surviving on cheap body sprays. i feel a lot more "womanly" in perfume though i think.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
i love make up but i'm not massively good at wearing it! i like green, brown, purple, grey, blue and black eyeshadows and eyeliner wings in varying sizes and most recently, lip stain. i don't really coordinate clothing with make up
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
lots of skater dresses, lots of floaty things, lots of flat shoes, a couple of pairs of chunky heeled shoes, lots of black, lots of velvet, lots of florals
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
i have a black velvet tasselled kimono that is embroidered with gold and white flowery patterns and it's so so beautiful!!
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
this brown suede gold buttoned skirt of my mum's that i've never fit into but hope to one day
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my mother's old engagement rings
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
26-06-1995. i was born in dorset in england and i now live in surrey in england.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
my family is quite smallish but we don't have very much money
What kind of work do you do?
i'm a student, i study english and creative writing
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
i was reading a sheila heti interview on rookiemag.com and i read her book 'how should a person be?' which i really enjoyed. i thought this project sounded supremely cool and was already mentally planning to buy the book when i stumbled across the website and saw i could take the survey myself! i love surveys.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
quite surprised at how much what i wear and how it fits in makes me feel about myself and everyone else