Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Probably is a hormonal thing, so I don't really think there is an specific moment. Although I always feel my best when I have some make up on and I'm genuinely happy (cheesy).
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Generally the ones that look really put together or the ones that have some sort of clothing or an accesory that I like.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I've always admired women who look kind of perfect, with the perfect make up, no hair out of place, perfect manicure... I think it takes a real effort to look that presentable and I admire that.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Go with your instincts.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I would like to think not, but probably there are some recurring patterns. It is always messy and it may take some time, but at the end of the day the deed is done, I work at my own pace. I also give 100% if I am passionate about the subject.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
At one point in my life it was cardigans. Right now I have to stop buying t shirts and black dressy pants. I have no doubt that next year its going to be something else, so it depends on what point in my life I am.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
A couple of years ago I gave my mom some delicate small earrings because I thought they really brightened her face. She doesn't wear small earrings that often, but she always wears the ones I gave her and it makes me super happy when I see her.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I'm pretty open minded and willing to try new trends and make them my own... But probably patterned leggings and weird owl jewelry? They scream tacky.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I have her wide european hips and thick legs, I love her but I'm constantly fighting to reduce them. And her style is extremely opposite of mine, but her love for vintage items and fashion in general has been a huge influence in my life since I was born.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I've stolen about a million items from my mom and she has given me a hundred others. I always take them and adapt them to my style and preferences. The last item I took from her are a wonderful pair of black ankle booties with the perfect heel.
Oh I also "stole" a watch and a sweater from one of my best friends.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
No, I think all my changes have been progressive and without a conscious thought.
16. Please describe your body.
Fair and sensitive skin, good set of eyebrows, long dark hair, brown kinda chestnut eyes. I have three small moles in a row next to my left upper lip and some super light freckles at the top of my nose. 1.65 m, with no boobs and small butt. Kind of big hips and legs but small waist, so basically small upper part and big lower part.
18. Please describe your emotions.
All over the place at any given time. I'm always feeling things too deeply, there's never a moment of detachment and that's exhausting.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I already took off my make up because its late at night so I'm covered in face oil (Clarins, I'm addicted). Have some thick fleece pajama pants, socks, a long sleeve shirt and a knitted sweater, its about 15 Celsius out there. My hair is blow dried and flat ironed because I attended an event earlier this week and haven't washed it since (still no grease, woho!)
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It is a part of who you are.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Just about anyone who asks, it is one of my favorite subjects. Probably I speak the most about them with myself, my mom and one friend here and there.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Back in school it was prision with the uniform and the austere aproach to hair, nails and make up. I got suspended about a hundred times for having my nails done in dark and bright colors in high school. Once when I was eleven I got suspended for wearing big earrings; they said that I was occupying myself with banal things instead of school. I responded by being more rebellious and got pretty upset by the ridiculous notion that if you take care of your appearance then you do not care for your studies. Now that notion it makes me plain mad.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think taste is universal and style is more individual. At the risk of sounding conceited, I'll say I have both. But people with a different sense of style might not like mine, so to each their own.
In these days, good taste is a blessing that you should be thankful for. Lets face it, most people like seeing things that please the eye.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Probably there are several mistakes I've done in the past, but right now I'm more conscious of the things I buy.
Right now it comes to mind a few pair of shoes that I wore like 2 times because they hurt my feet (and still I decided to buy them because I was young and stupid).
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Really well fitted high waisted pants will always make me look svelt because they highlight my smallest part.
Not a trick, but wearing nice/matching/lacy underwear will always make a woman feel 100% better with herself. No matter if anyone will see it or not, you should always have nice undergarments.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I have good taste, so I can pass judgment in other aspects of my life. I think. Mostly decorating.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Everytime. If you are wearing something that makes you feel comfortable and makes you look nice, you will feel a little more in control of the situation.
Like and old venezuelan saying that goes "primero muerta que sencilla", it roughly translates to something like "over my dead body you'll see me look like a mess" or "rather dead that not presentable", you get the idea.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I think fashion is the only area in my life where I can make assorted decisions. In the other areas of my life I'm indecisive, not at all sure and generally a mess.
I don't why. Maybe because I feel I have better judgment when it comes to style and taste? Also, clothing is not a matter of life or death; you may cringe when you see pictures of yourself wearing dubious things, but you'll regret forever the wrong decisions you make in other aspects of life. Fashion and clothing are simple.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mom has always loved fashion and kind of passed it in towards me. Not everyone in my family consciously loves fashion, but every woman always look presentable, so it was a natural thing for me to follow their footsteps.
I would say my mother planted the seed and I kind of took care of the plant with the things I picked up.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
A deep side part, with a little volume makes me feel extremely sexy. And some good concealer.
Also, the nice underwair thing.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
People who carry themselves with ease, like they are not pretending to be someone else. Confident is saying, I'm here and I like who I am.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Leggings worn as pants with shirts that do not cover the butt, cakey make up, tattoed eye brows, 90's highlights, goatees, women who can't walk in heels but wear them anyway, really tight and short dresses, long fake nails with designs on them, ugg boots, big platform heels that look cheap...The list goes on forever.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
At the end of the day, few little things can't be saved, so you can make work almost anything.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
It all depends on where you're going, the weather and your mood.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
It depends on what kind of vibe you're going with and what kind of mood you want to convey.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
I couldn't possibly decide to wear the exact same thing for a long period of time. I would get bored out of my mind.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me: pale pink, peonies, Paris, hydrangeas, poetry, Cortazar, gold kitchen utensils, cherries, coffee, New York, dark blue, lace, soft afternoon light.
Not me: big boob cleavage, tight and short dresses, fake nails, spray tan.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Flat ironed hair, pencil skirt and heels will always look professional. Oh, and nice and clean shoes and a good handbag.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
If I'm a shooting on location comfort is key, so jeans, t shirt and converse (or sneakers, it depends on the place). Sunscreen and a hair band as well. Maybe a hat if the sun is too intense.
I also have the same pieces of sportswear on rotation. Black sport pants, blue sports bra, three long sleeved shirts, three shorts (bright blue and black) and a bright blue cap.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Constraining. I can see the appeal of the uniform; not having to think what you're wearing, but at the end of the day, experimentation is fun. Clothes are made to play with, to express yourself and your creativity. So uniform equals jail in my book.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Feelings change, people change. Time passes by, so impossible to tell.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Only for 24 or 48 hours to see and feel what's a man like.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Love the late 1960's, the big hair and strong eyeliner. But I also love the classic 1940's and 50's shape and hairstyles.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Photogenic level: -10000. So, no.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Probably that my face looks weird or too round or big, that my smile is awful, my teeth look yellow, since when do I have dark circles under my eyes?, woa I need to pluck my eyebrows, my hair can't be right, my arms/legs/myself look terrible...
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Brigitte Bardot and her perfect hair and eyeliner.
Other french women from the sixties like Jane Birkin and Ana Karina.
Penny Lane from Almost Famous and Sienna Miller in Alfie.
Marie Antoinette, Diane Kruger...
I'm seeing a pattern here?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
I don't think I could achieve the blonde super sexy bombshell.
I could maybe, probably pull off goth or full on punk, but would feel completely uncomfortable.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Mmm, I would like to think I'd wear the same things. Come to think about it, maybe full on leather pants? Dresses with some side cut outs? A small bikini? Not sure.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Fashion should be fun. But don't get to crazy. It is probably like baking, you should have the perfect doses of creativity, confidence and restriction.
But as a general rule, if you are not confortable, don't wear it. Period.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Everyday. I have several on rotation: Nina by Nina Ricci, Flora by Gucci, Incanto Summer, from Salvatore Ferragamo, the Carolina Herrera with the Liberty Prints on it and Miss Dior Cherie by Dior.
Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent and Mademoiselle by Chanel will always remind me of my mom.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Clean body, clothes with no wrinkles, blow dried or ironed hair, nice perfume, unchipped manicure and good make up. But rarely you can check all these things at the same time.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Goes hand in hand with my life for fashion. I'm not saying I'm in a face full of make up 24/7, but its a part of my life, organic like that.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Several (bit still not perfect) jeans and a lot of high waisted pants, some skirts, not enough shorts, a million dresses in a hundred different styles, a hundred sweaters and jackets, several blouses and a million t shirts. More than 30 pair of shoes of various styles. Small, mostly gold and silver earrings (in large quantities), 3 watches (a fancy one, a sporty one and a fun one), several small bracelets, a bunch of huge and small rings, some statement earrings and necklaces and a few gold and silver delicate necklaces.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
Tough question. I almost always wear a dainty gold chain with an F, I've had it since I was little. I also constantly wear my grandmother's engagement ring, a gold small band with a horseshoe on it. Another favorite is a small metal charm of a real heart, not the normal heart figure, but an anatomically correct heart.
I recently bought a classical pair of pointed brown pumps and a pair of simple black strappy sandals. Classic staples that I'm sure will have place in my closet for a really long time.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A pale pink no back blouse with thin straps, a very 90's item. I've never worn it- nor plan to- in a near future, but every year, in the annual cleaning closet day, I keep it. No idea why, there isn't an emotional connection, just a simple blouse I never throw away.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
I can't look back to 15 years, I'm not that old! But I would say its always a good idea to invest in vintage pieces.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
A pair of boyfriend jeans that I lost. The worse thing is that I have no idea how they got lost, just that one day they weren't there.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect pair of jeans, the ideal pair of shorts, the utopia of the black leather jacket, the classical ankle booties, the perfect red lipstick and the perfect red nail polish are never ending quests for me.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Generally yes, but I have too many clothes and very little space. My closet is organized by sections: coats and sweaters, blouses, dresses, jeans, pants, shorts, skirts and fancy dresses at the end.
I have one drawer for sportswear, another for panties and bras, another for socks and tights and three drawers for t shirts.
I also keep some things in the spare bedroom, usually items I don't wear often or that I should take to the tailor.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Family heirlooms like my grandmothers engagement ring, a simple gold band with a horshoe (it used to have a clover too, but it broke years ago) that I wear constantly and her pearl earrings that I only wear on special ocassions. Also an alphabet necklace that someone gave me when I was little and several earrings my dad has given me throughout the years.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
My mom bought me a simple dark blue dress when I was about 12 years old. I don't know how, but 10 years later I still wear it on daily basis and receive compliments on it.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
When I feel like it, it's not a schedule. I don't usually buy on line because I like feeling the fabrics. I'm constantly on the hunt for vintage pieces and sales. I love browsing in thrift markets and always keep an eye open for potential additions to my wardrobe.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I don't splurge often, and if I do its on a special item like a vintage piece or a basic item like a certain pair of shoes or pants that I know will have forever or at least for several years.
I'm not embarrased to look for cheaper options or go to vintage markets. The joy in finding a good sale or making a smart buy can not be compared to anything in the world.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I can't leave my house without a pair of earrings. Make up wise, probably concelear, illuminator, cream blush and lipstick.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I don't know if it was the first time, but I vividly remember being about 4 years old looking down on my pastel colored mickey mouse themed suspenders and loving them.
I also loved my purple jellies.
And my beloved flat golden sandals that I got when I was 5. I cried the day I out grew them.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
March 6, 1992. Born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Only child, of upper middle class backround, 3/4 spanish and 1/4 german.
What kind of work do you do?
Recent graduate of Mass Communications (Journalism) with a minor in Film.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single, no boyfriend, no kids.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
22 year old girl, has loved fashion and clothing ever since she can remember. I worked as the co-editor and contributor of a (now extinct) venezuelan fashion and beauty website called FashionLove for a year and a half. Basically my love for fashion got me the job and I coud learn a bit more about how to run a fashion related publication. For me, how you dress is an extention of yourself, a form of self expression and you should have fun doing it.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Great, it made me reminiscence about my wardrobe and clothes, so that is a good thing. It also made me think about myself, which is always a hard thing.
22 year old venezuelan girl who feels fashion is a form of self expression. Recent graduate of Mass Communications (Journalism) with a minor in Film.