Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
..after a long hot soak in the tub,using bath salts made and bottled by my daughter,using herbs from her garden.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
..always. I notice individual style the most,not what is trendy,but she "says"about herself by wearing what she loves.She is strong.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
As I get older,I really will notice an older woman who is dressed fabulously,making a statement..which is done more I notice in cities such as Paris,or London.There is a no care,this is me..confidence I admire.
After all many young people can where anything and be "accepted "in their choices and look great.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
..I was always "in my own world" as told by friends and family..teased a bit,but had strong views on how I dressed,and looked..a more masculine with a feminine side,that ticked off my family,husband at timed.I love individual,elegant,but comfortable style..avant garde...probably age 14,I went against the trends.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't buy quantity..but I seek out designers whose lines I love,(new designers can be affordable)and buy a few pieces that 10 yrs later are still wearable ,because of the cut, style..they are iconic to me..or retro pieces that stand the test of time.I build a wardrobe around a few key pieces, mix older pieces with contemporary footwear,accessories,or vice versa.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
..be true to yourself. I dress for me, which at times may annoy others,I'm always happiest when I am me, but sometimes you could /should wear those beautiful stilettos with the elegant dress,not the military boots you are more comfortable in.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
The most transformative conversation I have ever had, has been feed back from people,peers, in a public project I have installed.
I realized that because my style does not appeal to a mass market..I'm good with that,because the clients who do resonate with how I put projects together,explain the feeling they get in the finished space..that makes me love what I do.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes, I start with a "clean slate"..I don't work well in chaos.I set time aside to focus on the task,in a calm setting.
I always have better outcomes,when I can let ideas percolate..I like to imagine,research,draw different scenarios for projects.
I try to be diligent ,organized with billing and paying in finances...less stressful in the end.
I strive hard to balance family and work,which is why it has taken years to slowly establish my own business.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
..a few items..hats,boots and the black jumper.
Hats, boots can change the looks of your outfit remarkably..the jumper,most versatile..in being sleeveless,dressy..with a blouse..top over jeans or leggings..
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes, I always give at least one piece of jewellery to family members for any number of occasions throughout the year.I find a designer,local or in a city I'm visiting,whose pieces I love,and match it to the person I am buying for.
So far they have loved it...and that makes me feel great.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I like classic and simple lines..I rarely go for a seasonal trend like colour, or pattern, unless its a scarf..not too much of an investment.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I have my fathers side of the families body..but both mother and father loved well made clothes.
We did not have an abundance of clothing,but beautifully made pieces..that stuck.
I was expected to wear,look what was thought age appropriate,as I married,had a family..I did not.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
My great aunt Margorie, she ordered her under garments from Paris in the sixties, had a local hat shop..wore beautiful furs and hats,gowns..she was a maverick of style..who said "wear your best in public, you don't have to have two cents in your pocket,when looking in beautiful stores,but you will be treated differently"..sad,but it was true.
She made it ok,to stand out,and be yourself.
My daughter is another maverick.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Age 40,I felt strongly to be my own person,in who I was. My partner was always very supportive in my growth.I would not say it has changed dramatically,only that as I age,I'm more confident,and financially better able to seek out designers I want to purchase from.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Furs..I buy used furs for coats. I have supported seal skin artists in Labrador,by purchasing what they make.I believe in researching peoples cultures to make better decisions in supporting how they live.
I have supported MicMac artists in fur items they make,researching how they use the whole animal.
I like recycling in all things purchased,and supporting artists in new purchases.
16. Please describe your body.
My body is full figured. Large bust,equalled with hips.When I'm training ,I have a good waist.
I have healthy skin and hair.My hands are mannish..I garden and paint a lot.
My face reflects years of laughter and sadness and outdoors.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is open and always growing..this I am thankful for. Never say never,I live by it.I really think, you are most healthy when you can be open to new ideas and adapt to change positively.
Things always change, there are always different views of thinking and seeing.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Hardest to control..leaky emphatic something..I've read and try to become stronger.
A worrier, become entangled in others emotions..can be overwhelmed.
I really try ,have become better at, not spreading my self to thin emotionally, relying on a greater spirit that things will be fine..not reacting emotionally..but constructively.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
its almost noon, my family left for the airport yesterday..I cleaned,reorganized after 2 weeks of lots of guests staying here.
I am in my nightgown, my hair in a braid on my shoulder,as my grandson Jeremy thinks I look like Elsa,god bless him.
I am free of makeup, not that I wear much.
My body needs a de chocolate,de fruitcake,ect from xmas..bloated.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
the questions..or the way I look now?
With regards to the questions..it made me think of,how,what has influenced me to become me.
With regards to how I look right now..this is me.
Its important to look inward and ask questions to see "you"..access.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They can have a dress code,that you may have to keep in mind.
They may call for reverence that you want to respect.
A boardroom meeting on a design project,may mean you dress to get the job.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste..I've been told I have taste.I think it means I choose handmade,well made pieces that work together,and have meaning.
Not a formula,but an interesting mix that works.
Style...I think I have, as most do, a style unique to me.
I am influenced by nature,travel,art..
Style,I think is made from life experiences,exposure and is at the persons core of being, that is expressed in their spaces, dress,way of life.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A pair of rain boots,$200, they did not last a season..they could not be returned..though I tried.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Tops designed three quarter in length, can be so versatile,I feel like I can make multiple interesting looks...for less money spent
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I have worked in the design of furniture pieces,private and public spaces, and communities.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
A contract with a large group of men in a boardroom situation,where I had to sell them on a design of considerable cost. It worked.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes I do know what I like in fashion and clothing..I know my body,what cuts highlight the best parts..what can hide the worst.
I feel I have good judgement in other areas of my life..what works,what makes me,and mine happiest,healthiest.
I think it was my childhood experiences,then my ability to listen,watch,observe ..and learn.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My parents taught me the value of handmade and well made clothing.That how you care for them was related to lasting and passing pieces on in the family.
They had to pass on to at least a sibling and some cousins.
Aunts taught to dress beautifully, having only a few well designed pieces.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I will wear very feminine clothing,that I know my partner loves..heels,hair down,bright lipstick..have a favourite dish made, cocktails ready in a lovely setting.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable..you relate to the space, or way you present yourself..akin too
Confident....you have found who you are and like it,and are able to express that feeling so others see "you" too.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Know yourself and your body..
You can dress confidentially when you know your style and understand your body so that you make really good decisions in picking out great pieces that express who you are.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Real..that is what is most beautiful to me.
The most beautiful things are not contrived,not knockoffs, not mass produced,not fake people.
Real feelings,real artistically made pieces,real art..real emotion derived from being in the midst of great art,great spaces,and good people.
feeling= beauty..for me.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
fake, insincerity, mass cheaply made things..meanness,pettiness..
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes, I know and understand the cut and style of what I choose,will not only work for me,but will endure time.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
That outer eye,was family..some friends, that at one time I did consider what they thought..but as I got older and more confident,cared less of any judgements that might be made.
Judgements of conforming to a more conservative way of dressing..expectations of wearing/cutting your hair..
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Consider the tasks of the day..
Client meetings..on site installations..painting...invoicing,bookwork..family..
The day dictates how I dress.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
What I need to achieve to reach my goals that day.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Work versus play..an evening out,or pleasure.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
3/4 jumper,blouse..leotards and work boots.
2 rings, earrings by my favourite artists.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me: clean lines, minimal,eclectic,organized,strong,interesting..emotional.
not me: ruffles,
cuteness,trendy, formula decorating, devoid of emotions,unorganized..weak.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
German and Irish
You can do anything..you will do it,and you will like it..nature,the woods..strength from German side.
Emotions, feelings,gentleness,poetic..addictiveness..create your own world from the Irish side.
Strength and confidence to find yourself and your style.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
In my early twenties,I was more floral,dresses always heels..for a few years,more expected as a young mother..
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I feel dressing artfully that I can get away with feeling professionally in doing my design work.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
Luckily I work from home.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
..as a kid a uniform was comforting in it levelled the field for most kids.p
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
..perhaps because as a young child, my uniform had been a jumper and blouse..I still find it comforting.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I like suits,clean lines,but enjoy the polar opposites,dynamics ,of a feminine body with the clean lines of a suit.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
Paris today..old and young dress beautifully...individually.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Audrey Hepburn, Stella McCartney,Vivian Westwood,Alexander Mc Queen..
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
super frilly,puffy dressed high maintenance hair look..
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
shorter cropped jackets
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
well attract my partner at times..
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
to each his own..just be yourself
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
rarely..privately..as there are so many issues around it in public.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
exercise often..clean clothes..press some things
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
a parachute black gown, aqua vintage gown,chinese gown.
2 black jumpers,3 black dresses,2 chartreuse blouses,sweater,aqua sweater,6 white blouses.
2 black dress pants,grey plaid dress pants,2 linen pants,2 jeans,4 coloured blouses.
3 winter coats,3 spring coats,10 hats,6 pairs of boots,15 pairs of shoes
15 rings,5 bracelets,10 necklaces, 15 pairs earrings..
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
my jumper, parachute dress..my rings..fur shawl
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
silk pajamas my father brought back from Korea for my mothers trousseau..sentimental..afraid they may not keep,as they are very old..
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Black wool coat in Paris..10 years ago..still beautiful, it was a thousand then.
Black fur shawl,paris last year from a russian designer..1800..I'll wear it forever
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
Riding jacket from UK..it was classic
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
my wool coat..
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
green wool dress..yes
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
buying from local or designers away..buy much less,but great style,endurance..and quality
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
empire waist dresses
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
my mothers opal ring,and her fur jacket.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
as needed..usually when in another country
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I think it should reflect your passion,hopefully your career..
80. How does money fit into all this?
carefully..I never buy on a whim..I have nice pieces,it has to be something I love,usually need and will get a lot of mileage from..
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
2 rings i have
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
..".poor simple heddy,she lives in her own world"..but i saw it not as a negative..only that i hadn't conformed to expectations..it was said kindly.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
a beautiful dress and Doc Martins..you are not wearing those boots are you?..It was from someone who mattered to me,I felt conscious..wore the heels and suffered standing most of the night..this was the last time.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
November 11..lets say old enough..60ish
Born in Dartmouth NS..live in Dartmouth
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
grew up in Woodside,surrounded by the Imperial Oil tank fields,woods..the outskirts of Dartmouth.Middle class in an impoverished area..bus student.
What kind of work do you do?
design furniture, built ins,interior and exterior spaces.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
married 3 kids, 4 grandchildren.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I graduated in dietetics from MSUV,but was always passionate about art and design..
I started travelling in 1990..established a couple of companies over the years that has allowed me to full fill my love for art and design, and enriched my life with all the people I have met and worked with over the years.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
its long but interesting..
Heather Waugh Pitts
Owner and principal design consultant of Waugh Pitts Design
Bio on wesite