Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Probably when I'm ovulating, to be honest...
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Women who look confident and comfortable. Sometimes this means loose, bohemian clothing, sometimes a dress and heels... but when the clothes look uncomfortable it is strange. Also, there is something about women of a certain age (over 45?) Wearing tight or sexy clothes that makes me uneasy. Like they are infinitely unhappy with themselves.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire women who know how to blend unexpected patterns or colors, and make it look effortless and comfortable
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
No. This is a struggle for me to this day. I have been shopping for myself more recently, less acraid to be "pretty" for myself, but it is a fine line. (I am 35)
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Never buy it the first time you want it. Wait and see if it haunts you for weeks;then you know it was probably meant for you. This is dangerous, because finding the time to go back is often impossible, and sometimes it disappears
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
when in doubt, ways dress down
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I struggle to accept my own (very slow) pace
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Only recently. A necklace I wanted for myself that I gifted to babysitter for holidays. Best choice ever.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Many... heels, bangs, boot-legged pants.... I avoid trends that are uncomfortable or that dont look good on me
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I'd rather not discuss...
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes. The simple, classic look I stole from a privileged friend. It has been with me through my twentied and early thirties
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Recently. I have gone from very simple, classic, almost preppy look to a more flowing, flowery, bohemian look. I am finally willing to spend time and money on clothing I like, since I am done having children and my body seemed to stop changing so frequently from hormonal shifts
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Tough question. I dont know
16. Please describe your body.
Petite, slim, very curvy bottom, flat chest, broad shoulders. Quite pale/ white skin
17. Please describe your mind.
Active, often anxious, quite sharp overall
18. Please describe your emotions.
Intense, sometimes unpredictable. Mostly loving, but swing toward anger more often than I would like
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Pajamas: tights, wool socks,and sweatshirt. No makeup. Glasses, hair down. About to shower and apply mascara, dry my hair simply, wear jeans and a sweater or down vest
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It affects the way people treat us every day, how strangers percieve us even before speaking. How comfortable we are in our own skin.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
No one, really...
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Too complicated for me to even begin.. define institutions !
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Not really. Taste maybe, which I think is more important to not over sell my body for approval from others/strangers. Style is something elusive to me, and is sometimes an insecurity
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Tall boots that I never wore. Turned out that dwarfed my petite body.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Not really. I struggle with home decorating, too
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Funerals. Something so calming about pulling out a modest black outfit.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I probably do not have as much discernment as others. I can see the pros and cons of every choice, and while I stand strong on established opinions, I also question myself constantly to be assess if new information has tipped the scales, or if the situation has changes. I am very good at anticipating upcoming challenges or inconsistencies, but terrible at making timely decisions... in clothing, home decorating, food prep... everything
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
No not at all. I have struggled to adapt what I can from select friends
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Makeup. Maybe tight jeans.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable, as in, your clothes are not hurting you, you can move in them. Comfortable and confident in speaking to ithers, in knowing who you are and what you want
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes. Flattering to my body type and skin color, and comfortable.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
She is a bit more confident than I feel. I probably use ex-boyfriends eyes.... how messed up is that? Never thought of it before
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
To-do list. What can get me through all activities?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up is more color, more makeup
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Jeans and a tshirt
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Not me: heels. Most dresses, showing shoulders
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1980. Born in louisiana. Live in houston.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Grew up mostly poor. White. Married into well-off WASP and multi-lingual family.
What kind of work do you do?
Stay at home mom
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married with children
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I have achieved all I have put my mind to, in life. I am doing exactly what I always planned.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?