Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Hard to say. When I'm clean & refreshed, wearing clothes that fit great & flatter me. When I'm feeling happy and also maybe in soft light after I've had a cocktail.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Occasionally. See question 3 for answer to 2nd question.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
polished & put together
bold & unafraid
quirky & unique
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
yes, recently, that there is a uniform I like and am comfortable in, and that feeling comfortable (which also means feeling that I look good and like "myself") is my top priority. I think I am finally completely comfortable in my own skin at age 38
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I have no shopping rules.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Wear a supportive well-fitting bra.
No high heels.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Can't remember any.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Surviving, balancing the needs of myself, my daughter, my husband, and my career. Try to enjoy things and not get too stressed out. Be kind to myself.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Oh so many:
dark blue slim jeans
Black, navy & white t-shirts
Cardigan sweaters (especially black ones)
White button down shirts.
They are classic, comfortable, and flattering.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Most trends. See answers to earlier questions.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
She was very confident and loved how she looked. On the other hand, she was a bit obsessed with being beautiful. I was determined not to let it be a big part of my identity.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Some of my husband's comfortable old tshirts I wear to sleep in?
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Don't think so. Maybe my decision not to care too much is political?
16. Please describe your body.
Nice. Slightly overweight- curvy.
17. Please describe your mind.
Calm. Moderately intelligent.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Again- fairly calm and even.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
No makeup, hair down, barely brushed.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Eh. Because of sociocultural norms/pressures on women?
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Husband & daughter.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Dress codes, formal and informal...
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I have taste- I can distinguish between high & low quality. I am very very picky about fabrics, construction. If funds were unlimited, I could follow my tastes! Don't think I have a lot of style, which I think is a unique approach to aesthetics.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
My wedding dress. Kills me to this day that I spent $1000+ on a dress I wore once.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes, and yes but no.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Picked things up mainly.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Makeup- concealer, mascara, lip gloss. Hair- clean & smelling good, product to make it smooth & bouncy.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
OK, getting tired of the survey.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
nature, music, good writing, antiques, painting, my daughter, nice architecture, old cities, great food
34. What do you consider very ugly?
walmart, bad suburban architecture
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Quick, need clothes that are clean, fit well, won't distract me at work, and which I didn't already wear this week. I'm a teacher and students might notice.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing up is for special occasions
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
jeans, white t-shirt, black cardigan, and either boots/ballet flats/birkenstocks depending on the weather.