Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I NOTICE POSH WOMEN BUT DO NOT ADMIRE THEM.
I ADMIRE WOMEN OF THEIR OWN STYLE AND NOT THOSE THAT FIT THE NORM.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
WOMEN HOW WEAR WHAT THEY WANT AND APPEAR VERY COMFORTABLE IN WHAT THEY HAVE ON.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
NO. IT HAS NEVER MATTERED TO ME.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
WAIT UNTIL THE DAY YOU NEED SOMETHING RATHER THAN BUYING WHEN YOU SEE THEM.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
DRESS SOLEY FOR COMFORT.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I TEND TO BE VERY LIST ORIENTED IN THE PRACTICAL ASPECTS OF MY LIFE BUT NOT IN RELATIONSHIPS.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
JEANS AND GREY SWEATERS.
FORGIVING FOR WORK AND SO COMFORTABLE.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I WOULD SAY I DON'T REALLY FOLLOW ANY TRENDS.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
SHE REALLY HAD NO STYLE AND MY BODY IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE TO HERS.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
MY FRIEND DEB TAUGHT ME HOW TO BUY CHEAP JEANS FOR WORK.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
IT HAS GOTTEN SLOPPIER AS I GET OLDER AND WORK HAS CONSUMED MY DAYS.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
SHORT AND TINY.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
IT REALLY JUST IS NOT.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I THINK I HAVE TASTE BUT NO STYLE.
I THINK HAVING TASTE MEANS YOU CAN CREATE STYLE RATHER THAN COPY IT.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A PAIR OF SEVEN JEANS THAT STRETCHED OUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I LIKE TO DECORATE
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
YES I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I LIKE IN MOST ALL ASPECTS OF MY LIFE.
COMES FROM MY MOTHER
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
DON'T BUY CHEAP FABRICS.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
COMFORTABLE TO ME MEANS BEING ABLE TO RELAX IN ALL ENVIRONMENTS AND NOT BE ANXIOUS.
CONFIDENT MEANS KNOWING WHO YOU ARE, ACCEPTING IT AND ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE WHO YOU ARE.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
DRESS IN CLOTHES YOU LIKE, FEEL FIT YOU WELL AND THAT YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE IN. BE YOUR OWN PERSON AND WORRY LESS ABOUT CURRENT FASHION TRENDS AND MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE. YOU WILL BE MORE COMFORTABLE AND CONFIDENT BECAUSE OF IT.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
FLOWERS, TREES, MARBLE, ETC
34. What do you consider very ugly?
FAKE THINGS. TOO MUCH MAKEUP. COOKIE CUTTER HOUSES.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I WEAR EVERYTHING I BUY.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
CAN I LOAD A TRUCK IN THIS AND CAN I BE OUT THE DOOR IN 10 MINUTES
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
COMFORT AND PRACTICALITY
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
DRESSING UP IS FOR NIGHTS OUT AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS. DRESSING IS FOR DAY TO DAY.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
JEANS, RUNNING SHOES, COTTON T-SHIRT, AND A HOODIE.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
ME IS SIMPLE. BUSY IS NOT.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I AM CANADIAN AND IT MEANS I AM PLAIN JANE. NO ETHNIC INFLUENCE
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
LEARNING TO KNOW MYSELF IN UNIVERSITY. DRESSED MUCH MORE LAYERED. I REALIZED I LIKE BEING NATURAL
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I WEAR MAKEUP AND CHANGE OUT OF MY JEANS
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I DRESS LIKE A WORKER EVERYDAY AND MOST PEOPLE DO NOT.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
JEANS AND TSHIRT WITH BIRKENSTOCKS
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I HAVE ALWAYS WISHED I WAS A MAN
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I LIKE IT SUBTLE AND LIKE THAT IT ADDS A PERSONALITY TO THE PERSON. I WEAR IT
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
I DRESS IN NICER CLOTHES
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I WEAR VERY LITTLE
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
CURRENT TRENDS. I TRULY DON'T CARE.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
LOTS OF JEANS SWEATERS SWEATSHIRTS AND TSHIRT.
I WEAR PEARL OR DIAMOND EARRINGS AND A WATCH.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I HAVE A DRESS I LOVE TO WEAR
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
A PAIR OF PANTS TO REMIND ME OF MY SIZE WHEN I WAS FIT
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
MORE DRESS CLOTHES
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
YES. SOME NICE SWEATERS
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A BLACK CASHMERE CARDIGAN
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I AM STARTING A BUSINESS AND WORKING HARD IS THE KEY RIGHT NOW. I DRESS TO WORK HARD
80. How does money fit into all this?
VERY POOR RIGHT NOW SO CAN'T AFFORD ANY LUXURIES
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
I WAS ONCE COMPARED TO TWIGGY. IT BOTHERED ME
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
What kind of work do you do?
FILM ART DIRECTION
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
IN A RELATIONSHIP
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I GREW UP IN POVERTY. I AM SELF MADE AND AN OVERWORKER
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I SHOULD SPEND MORE TIME THINKING ABOUT HOW I PRESENT TO OTHERS