Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm in a carefree, happy mood... While relaxing with friends and laughing a lot.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Women who are natural and confident, and usually with a look/style that I like.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes, growing up a little and hitting my mid-20s made me realise how insignificant younger insecurities about wearing the most fashionable clothing, having perfect hair or wearing make-up all the time are. It simply just doesn't matter. Everyone should do whatever works for them, and whatever they are most comfortable and happy in.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Sometimes just wear whatever the heck you feel like--even if it is sneakers. (I would say this to others though...)
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Striped tops. I don't know why! I love them I guess, and they always work well, but it is as if I forget how many I have.
16. Please describe your body.
Petite, skinny, normal(?), I'm happy with it!
17. Please describe your mind.
Sometimes thinking about a million things at once
18. Please describe your emotions.
Moody, sensitive, rational when needed, calming to others, headstrong, somewhat impulsive, caring
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
PJ pants, stripy sweater, face nothing, hair tied back low
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
No one in particular, but almost always only girls.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Yes I do. Everyone has their own taste and style. I'm much more sure of mine as I get older, and I don't think one is more important than the other particularly. Taste to me is about what you are drawn to, and what you instinctively go for e.g. certain colours, types of books/art, and style is more about what kind of looks you go for whether it is more wild or minimal or tomboy etc. Both of them are your own, but influenced from many different places.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Not really. But I'm sure I wasted lots at some stage! I've just forgotten now, as lately I haven't been spending money at all on clothing but I'd really like to at some point soon--APC sale emails for example ;)!
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes, the style in the way you carry yourself, act towards others, cultivate your surroundings etc! Theres lots of areas for style in life that doesn't revolve around clothes.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Yes. Worn my favourite jeans and a favourite top/sweater on days where I've woken up thinking it was a bad day. Tried to wear more colour on days where I wanted more confidence etc, as I am often pretty muted with blacks, greys, navys etc.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes, I do think I know what I like, in fashion/clothing. But sometimes maybe I should venture out of this too e.g. wear some more prints..! In other areas of life, yes. I think it comes from exploring more. Like if you are open to new things, it becomes easier to discover and predict what you will or won't like!
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Confidence but also modesty.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Honestly, I'm not much of a morning person, and it's usually just about picking out the first thing that comes to mind. Luckily I don't have a corporate job / wear corporate wear. Weekends are sometimes slower and I can take a little bit more care.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Maybe jeans and knits in winter, casual dresses with sandals in the summer.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
In high school, I found it weirdly comforting because I went to an all girls school, and therefore it wasn't stressful trying to think about outfits! And so much easier to get ready in the morning. I did definitely rebel a bit though at the time... shirt not tucked in, dress short, no hair ribbons...
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
I don't feel very comfortable being in front of the camera, but I really wish I did so I'd have more photos of myself in the all of the amazing places I've been. I'm not really sure if I would consider myself photogenic though.. maybe sometimes.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I think perfume is great, but it is annoying when someone has way too much on. I do but not every day.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I usually wear a bit of mascara, and lately I've been wearing concealer under my eyes. Some days I put on a bit more but barely ever foundation--I don't like it. I think make-up is great, but I don't think I personally suit a lot of it.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I really love my simple gold earrings and necklace that I wear every day. And my Merci medallion bracelet is up there too. I also really love my bag that I wear all the time (Madewell leather tote)--it is so useful, easy, and still looks nice after lots of wear!
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
Yes, lots of things that have been ruined and I got rid of... For example, some really great ankle boots that had a hole, a red knit sweater, several pairs of navy jeans. Nothing that special but just hard to find items that are the same.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
The perfect white t-shirt. Also, the perfect black basic bikini.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Everything is neat and in it's place.
80. How does money fit into all this?
All of the brands I really adore are more than I can afford now, but I'm not too bothered by it. Although, I don't spend much money on clothes as I prefer to splurge more on travel opportunities and books.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
2 Aug 1989. Born in Sydney, Aus, and for now I am living in London, UK.
What kind of work do you do?
Editor / Publishing.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Kind of intrigued thinking about all of this. I can't say I give my clothing too much thought, but maybe I will start!