Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
when i have a good hair day
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
women who look confident in their own skin and have unique style
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
i like when women do have strong personal style, when they know what suits them, when they are not constantly trying to find themselves in constantly changing trends
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
as a teenager, when i realised that the internet has influenced me so badly that i forgot who i am and got lost between tons of different styles i thought i "liked".
i found out that none of those grunge, goth, punk, lolita, ladylike or even hippie looks were the real me.
also the moment when i contemplated fashion industry for a while and suddenly, without even seeing some heartbreaking documentary, i realised how gross (both ethically and ecologically) it is. i haven't bought any fast fashion item since then.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
try to avoid shopping as much as possible
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
black is appropriate for each situation
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
because they are so versatile and look so good
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
i bought my mom a giant burgundy winter scarf years ago and she still loves it and wears it
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
many of them
neons, overknee boots, leopard print, double denim, idolizing of sneakers, green parkas, jean jackets, aztec print,...
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
my mother has a supermodel figure, skinny and tall (and my sister is the same). i am the curviest one, so it took me quite long until i stopped being so self-conscious about it, but now i do not care anymore.
when it comes to style, she hasn't influenced me at all as she is simply not interested in fashion and feels best in jeans with simple sweaters.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
i've stolen many old items from all the family members.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
not really, it was slower process
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
as a feminist i don't want to dress to please anyone but myself. i don't believe in dressing for my bodytype, shaving, wearing bra or make up just because "i should".
16. Please describe your body.
long wavy darkbrown hair with side bangs
thin arms, smal breasts, thin waist, wide hips, big muscular calves
17. Please describe your mind.
very open, curious, always willing to learn
18. Please describe your emotions.
ups and downs
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
old sweater, faded black oversized tee, black sweatpants
hair down, no make up
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my friends, my mom, my sister
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
hopefully, they don't
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
people often say, i do have good taste.
i would say taste is something inside of you. it differs from person to person and other people can't influence it easily.
style is the realisation of taste - it can be developed but also influenced or manipulated by others.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
80€ for Steel combat boots. they were impossible to break in and a size smaller too.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
music, literature, movies, interior design, i guess
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
a black turtleneck saved it few times
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
as i mentioned before, i used to have hard time finding what style i actually like, what describes me, but now i think i know what i like in the most areas of my life. i just listen to my heart.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
feeling comfortable is the most important thing, when i am dressing up.
it's hard to feel confident when being uncomfortable, right?
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
my style philosophy is to chose your clothes:
to be enough comfortable and simple to move in so you will be able to build a yurt in the kazakh steppe in them and/or sleep in them
to be enough put together so you won't be ashamed to sit in a fancy cafe in them
to be enough unusual and interesting so you can go to see some alternative concert in them
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
ocean coast, human kindness
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
probably yes as i'm always thinking about clothes i'm going to buy for a longer time, asking myself questions like: do i REALLY need them? will they match with stuff i already have?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
i want to feel comfortable and beautiful at the same time
i promised myself that i won't wear clothes which are not 100% comfortable anymore
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
i think, i wouldn't be able to wear just one shilouette for a longer period of time
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me: black (or earthy greys, greens and browns sometimes), minimal ,oversized stuff, natural fibers, turtlenecks, giant scarves, simple t-shirts, platform shoes, not too tight cropped trousers, plain skirts, everything high-waisted
not me: bright colours, ill-fitting cheap clothes, uncomfortable low-waist, sneakers, shiny and eye-catching stuff, tees with pictures and slogans
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
i'm slavic and proud of it
makes me really happy, when i see traditional slavic motives in fashion (for example in Valentino's designs)
i consider them beautiful, but i don't wear them myself very much as they are a bit too colorful for me
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
i put on a big soft short-sleeved man's shirt instead of t-shirt
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
black ribbed turtleneck tucked into black high-waisted cropped oversized trousers, oversized black minimal raincoat, vagabond platform lace-up shoes
everything is so comfortable and practical, yet somehow elegant
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
i dreamed about buying a concrete pair of boots, which i actually bought the next day !
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
something overally fancy
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i like it and i wear it
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
on daily basis i either don't use make up or i only use coverstick and a bit of compact powder.
then there are some days when i feel like wearing full make up so i go for it.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
i love turqoise, dark blues and dark greens - different shades like that. i love looking at them, but i don't really like wearing them on my clothes. i don't know why.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
giant goth tulle skirt
it has sentimental value for me, but i know i am not going to wear it anymore
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
i would only buy natural fibres, only things that all match together and are ethically sourced
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
minimal everyday handbag, locally made from black leather
i do still wear it almost every day
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
ethically made woolen coat
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
giant winter scarve (so big i can use it as a blanket)
i bought it in Romania, in a small shop called "Ugly fashion"
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
i try not to shop
but when i do need something concrete, i usually just go to check local secondhands with friend or alone
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
i like spicy, unisex perfumes
also the smell of coffe
80. How does money fit into all this?
i can afford good quality, locally made undergarmets and socks, because the rest of my clothes is from secondhands so they were really cheap (i must say, at this point, that i thrifted my prom dress for 1€)
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
What kind of work do you do?