Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When i feel like i look good. Not in sweats, but not in ball gowns either. Something comfy like jeans and a cashmere sweater or silk shirt.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I admire strong women. Women who are confident. Women who hold their heads high and do not care about trends. Older women have a quality about them that us 20 somethings do not yet posess.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Like i said, confidence is key. Be pround of yourself and your beauty. It like life is fleeting.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I realised a year or two a go that fast fashion is not for me. I will not buy culottes no matter how many shops sell them. I refuse to shop from stores that use child labor or will not pay it's workers enough (H&M, Zara, Monki, Lindex, Weekday, Cubus, KappAhl etc.) I mostly shop more expenssive stores that can deliver on promises about quality. I also prefer Finnish design (because i'm from Finland), but everything European (made in EU!!) is ok. I'd hate to buy something american and have it shipped here.
I became more aware about my posessions at that point. I was frustated with my exsessive amounts of stuff. I hated always having to purchase new things because the old ones never lasted long. It is so heavy on our enviroment. I wanted to have less stuff, and wear everything i owned. I have studied fashion and was some what aware of the condition of laborers had to endure in India, Nepal, Bangladesh etc. But when i saw The True Cost documentary it really opened my eyes. It has helped my process along.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Shop rarely. Buy what you need, not want. Buy 1 thing a month. Save and dream and compare your possible purchase to others. Think about how it will improve your life. Are you buying it because you want to be someone you aren't? (e.g Emmanuelle Alt, Kendall Jenner) DON'T be blinded by labels. Research your purchase and how to take care of it. Don't purchase anything made from plastic. (Prefer natural ingredients: linen, cotton, wool, silk, leather. Rayon, lyocell and viscose are ok, but beware, they aren't as good as silk.) Do not buy FUR!! Shearling is okay, because it's made from the industrys leftovers, same with leather. However, i would never buy something new (vintage ok) that is alligator, ostrich or any other exotic skin.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Never wear anything you are not comftorble with. High heels are not for me. Accessorise, but only a little, with a man's watch and dainty gold jewerly. I prefer a monotone palate, because it will last forever. The rule if you're wearing a loose bottom, than wear a tight short and the otherway around works well for almost anybody. I am not known to break that rule, except with boyfriend jeans. I love big coats, and coats/jackets in general because they make a statement and make my basics more intrensting. I also love my wide brimmed black felt hat for bad hair days. Be timeless, but stay current. A new belt or adidas stan smiths may be enough to update your look this season.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Me and my best friend who also studied fashion, are known to talk about fashion and style ALOT. We talk about designers, street style, clothes, shops, our outfits and everything between. But our most intresting topics has been organic/ ecological/ ethical fashion. Why people refuse pay for more than 5€ for a t-shirt? Why people don't understand quality? How come some people don't know real leather from fake? How come people don't know how to take care of clothes? Why for some clothes are disposable? AND the ramifications of all this. AND how can we change the situation.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I have and still am suffering from deppression and anxiety. I try to take things easy and not worry about everything. I am currently on sick leave, and everyday things are a struggle.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have alot of double breasted coats, because the style fits me and i like how they look opened up. I am a fan of linen tees, for their feel, durability and look. Cashmere sweaters is another classic i can't get enough of. They need tons of taking care of, but are worth it with their comfortability.
Clothes I have in mutipules or similar:
long double breasted coats
merino wool v neck sweater
long cardigans in wool
black skinny jeans
black boots (in different heels and shapes)
black sneakers/ trainers from Nike
leather gloves( 1 pair gloves, 1 pair mittens)
cashmere beanies ( two black)
Everything listed is things i actually need two or more of for my day to day. It gets quite cold where i like, so layering is necessary.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Yes, i donate clothes i no longer use for my friends. And it thrills me to see them using them.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Culottes, because they are not flattering.
I only pick the ones that suit me. E.g menswear inspired clothes, wearing your coat on your shoulders, tuxedo styling, military as inspiration.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mom also like quality and finnish design. We always love looking at clothes and trying them on. But neither of us rarely purchases anything. My mom is okay with fur and not that skeptical of fast fashion. She doesn't care about the ethical side of the clothing industry. Our bodies are similar as well.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
No dressing ideas, but my mum has given me her old clothes and accessories. Mulberry bags and belts, a black blazer from Max Mara, a cool used weekend bag. I have borrowed my dads sunglasses from the eighties for a year of two and a watch that broke.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
As I said before, my whole point of view and style changed over a year ago.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Yes like I said, i'm anti fur, anti child labor/ small wages etc.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm my shape is very straight from my hips to my breasts. I have lean legs and thin arms. I'm quite thin except i have a couple (or ten) extra pounds on my waist I'm 163 cm tall.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind can get crazy. I go from no energy to some and then none at all again. I stress and worry about things i cannot control. My anxiety always peers its ugly head at the worst moments. I try to stay happy and be positive. I've come a long way and have started to get better this spring.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I am finally feeling them. After years of being in a depression coma, i finally feel, communicate and accept them. My emotions are stable at the moment.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I have on pjs, my hair is in a bun, and i haven't taken off todays make up (very minimal, brows, mascara and a little bit of foundation).
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I think you express yourself with clothing. It's necessary in the weather conditions, but also tells alot about people. It's also fun and employs millions. Plus the world we live in is very visual. You are critised for how you look. It matters. Because i care about the fashion industry, i am trying to discover new blogs, books, information and people about a way of changing it or atleast effecting it a little.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My mom, my best friend.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
What do mean? Like work or the police? None at all. Although common decency cannot be curtailed.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think style is something that everybody has, but taste is not. Taste is refined, mostly invoving quality clothing and classic pieces. But taste is also knowing to pair your 200€ silk shirts with converse or vintage boots.
I think i have both, because i have an eye for fit, quality and details.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
i bought 3 years ago a maison martin margiela bag for 2 grand. Wore it ten times and sold it at a flea market for 200€. It was the best offer i got.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Loose shirts hide a foodbaby?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes, i'm also into art, interior, architecture and photography.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Just dressing and feeling good about my choices (style wise) is enough for me. It doesn't always work, but I can be confident that i look good.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Yes i know what i like in everything. I think experience, my mothers guiding hands, research, studying fashion have all helped. I've always been intrested in the field. And have bought alot of magazines, books and i have read thousands of blogs.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Yes, my mom has been very into fashion and quality clothing. I wore burberry dresses at 4 years old. I was very independant as a child (and as a teen), and wore what i felt like, but now as i am an adult we have more in common. My education helped the most.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Clothing: sheerness and shirts with buttons opened low. Revealing a little skin is always sexy. Even in the ankles.
Make up: Red lipstick and nailpolish that hasn't chipped.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I said the same thing!!
Comfortable means that your dress isn't so short you have to pull it down all the time. Jeans aren't too tight. You feel great about yourself. Even a coctail dress can be comfy as long as the fit is right.
Confidence means being good in your skin. You don't fret about evey wrinkle or pimple. You exude glamour and strength.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
left bank parisian chic. A little boho and rock, but mostly classic.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Beauty is personal. Every persons character makes them beautiful. Of course i lust for model worthy abs and doe eyes, but i am me and I AM BEAUTIFUL.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Ugly people are petty, mean and only care about themselves.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I only shop so rarely that all my purchases are planned out and saved for. So i know i will wear it and will keep it for years. ( I mostly purchase classics)
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I look myself in the mirror and see if i think i look good. I might change a scarf, but i rarely think of others. I know my style is good and my clothes are beautiful, so if i like it, others/outsiders will too.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
I am an outfit repeater and a uniform dresser, so most of my outfits come without thinking. The weater dictates my choises. I try to wear everything equally, but if i need new ideas i'll play dress up and maybe like those jeans and that sweater with that coat..
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To look and feel good.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing can be sweats or pjs, dressing up requires attention and intention. I dress every day, but don't dress up every day.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
My uniform: black boots, black skinny jeans, navy or grey sweater and my basic jewerly (watch, necklace). Coat/ jacket depends on the weather, but i wear a version of this from september to may.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me: basics, classics, v necs, slightly loose fitting tops or sweaters,
not me: bright colors, weird fits/ sihouttes, anything super constrictive or tight. bombers, trendy pieces, clothes that show too much skin.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
I'm scandinavian and we are modest, simple, basic.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I've tried a lot of things. I've been an emo angsty teenager, a hippie, a wannabe mka, a minimalist before finding what suits me and my personality best.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Wearing make up and a blazer make me professional.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I do not work.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Yes, mornings are easier.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
See my uniform.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
I like the simplicity of men's clothing choices, but i believe i've translated them well.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
I love my parisian chic.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
No, but i make it work.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Childhood photos: aww
current photos: ugh, but some are: not that bad
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
Yes, tons. From those "i have nothing on me" embarrassing dreams to dreams including designer, bloggers etc.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Everything currently not in my style.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
The same things. But i would buy a bikini and go to the beach.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
No. It's okay if girls or guys don't like how i look. It isn't their problem.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
I have rules (see first questions), but you don't need to follow them. Be comfortable and confident in what you wear!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
I love my signature scent: Blanc by byredo
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Iron wrinkly clothes, make sure they are clean and have a good posture.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
My make up is simple and natural. I wear red lipstick in mac's russian red when i want to. ( mostly out to parties or clubs)
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
double breasted coats, jackets and blazers
bf jeans in blue, skinny jeans in black and black viscose pants and shorts
tailored pants in black and white.
1 jumpsuit for summer
1 shirt dress in white
10 ish sweaters in gray and navy
2 beige/neutral sweaters
1 navy button down
1 black button down
3 white button downs
4 linen tees
3 gold necklaces
1 black belt
1 natural (coloured) belt
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
This gold necklace my godfather and godmother gave me the day i was born. It is just a gold circle that has my innitials and my birthday.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Some pieces i have that don't fit me but i've kept them anyway because i like them. Why? Good question, maybe i'm trying to get up the courage to get rid of them. Maybe i'm hoping i'll fit them one day.
I also have clothing for special occasions that i rarely wear: for downhill skiing and a little black dress.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Before my renaissance, i'd buy cheap clothes to imitate stuff i'd see on runways or bloggers. I tried to get googdnatural materials, but the price was the most important. Quantity over quality.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
This max mara camel coat i bought 2nd hand.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My first investment buy was 7 years ago. I bought a red crossbody bag from Whyred. I was weaved leather and i still have it and wear it.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
the first time i went to a flea market and realised i could get a big bag of clothes for under 10€. I didn't understand about the condition and quality of the clothes.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
All my clothes ( minus underwear, pjs and sportgear) are on my clothing rack. Everything is always neat, tidy and organised.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Yes, the necklace i got from my godparents on the day i was born.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Most of my clothes haven't lost alot of their value, but as i normally research my purchases, no.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I like going to shops and browsing online, but when i see something i like i won't buy it. I'll first research it see if it's cheaper anywhere else, if another brand has something similar that is better. Then i'll put it in my want-list. It has all the things i want to buy. When i get money/ have saved enough. I'll buy the thing i had decided to purchase that month. I'll try it on and be sure it works with everything i own.
I'll buy ancient greek sandals in may. I've wanted a pair for over a year, but only now have spent enough time on the decision to buy them.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Like my signature perfume: blanc by byredo. But fresh/ clean is always also great.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I have shopping goals but not anything else.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I have a sufficient amount of money. I spend alot on clothes, but only because i think they are worth it. I'm slowly building my wardrobe but even if i was a millionaire, i still wouldn't want to spend thousands on clothes.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
I wear my clinique chubby stick every day for lip balm and a tiny bit of cherry colour for my lips. (+ my phone)
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I remember in second grade being aware of my leggings (they were called in the 90s pants). They were blue and had flowers and i had loved them because they were so comfy. But i questioned them. Were they too childish? Some of the popular kids has cooler clothes.
This is all i remember. During school i wasn't so worried about what the others thought of my clothes. I had better things to do. This moment has just stuck with me.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
I have always lived in Helsinki, Finland
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Scandinavian, white, upper middle class i'd say. My parents are now rich but eren't so much when i was a kid in the 90s.
What kind of work do you do?
i'm on sick leave.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I have a dog.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Exhausted but thrilled. Writing things down has cleared some of my ideas.