Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When i feel very good, that i care about anything else but the happiness i feel at the moment.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I don't know if i notice, probably but i never reflected on that.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Their confidence, the way the stand, they act, they move or talk.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
As a little girl, when boys started harassing us with skirt or dress, for years i could never wear one.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Buying something just because you like the way it looks, especially when your lifestyle don't coincide to the use of the object or clothe.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
COMFORT first, not caring about the way i look at all.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I talk fashion or style so rarely... so i just don't know if there is any...
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Trying to do it because it's right to do it? I never thought about that...
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Underwear, i'm a very lazy girl and hate shopping so i usually buy these item in multiple, so i got a lot on rotation for a while and i just had to buy underwear like once or twice a year. The only thing i try to put fancy on, is the colors.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Maybe, i made a soft shawl for my granny years ago, she still wear it sometimes.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Any, because i'm against this society of mass consumption where consuming is more important than reflecting on what we really needs, so i'm also not so interested in fashion because i tends to prioritize comfort over image.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Errrrrmmmhhhh.....? My body shape is not the one of my mother and never will be, her style sticks more with the one of my sister's. I'm the sort of "ugly duckling" of the family.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Probably as a teenager. Now on a regular basis i got the "too big stuff" from my mother that i HATE, because it's always tiny for me and/or awful to wear. Clearly i'm the garbage for clothes, which come form the pity and misunderstanding of why i don't make any effort to look like trends tell us so or my mom want.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
The worst i "dressed" was when i was sick, fucked up on meds and fat from it, so i couldn't wear my usual clothes, it happened a couple of times in my life and it was awful all the time.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Yes! I prone decrement in our way of living, i'm against mass consumption and fashion, i tend to boycott big brand that maintain a sort of slavery on the sweatshop they are making what is supposed to be "on trend" in occidental cultures and since 3 years i shop mostly my clothes on second hand shops. I also sew and knit.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm perfect the way i am, my body is strong enough to get me through 4 floors stairs daily, to walk, carrying the groceries, cycling, dancing, helping others, ...
Sometimes my body ache but that's mostly because my mind ache too.
The BMI tells me i'm at the start of being overweight, but ANYBODY that can see me know how that's such a wrong opinion, my bones may be thick and i had still some muscle from when i was making sports. My body is great, my body is the home of my soul.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is odd, strange, bizarre, erratic, capricious, but it is also great, and a good learner.
Some may be saying it's sick, i say it's has been hurt and betrayed, so my mind is recovering, and is in a healing process. My mind is also strong, i would not be there otherwise.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I had emotions of a little frail girl. Or a hurricane. Depends the emotions, still in the process of finding peace and balance.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Errrrrr... Nothing on my face , combed my hair in my "stay at home" way, which is everything backwards.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Unfortunately it's important because as i'm a lazy person to dress up and style, some people are lazy to read beyond the look of a person and tend to judge the people only from the way they look.
Also, the majority of people are socially shy, and the real extrovert that can talk to anybody without any circumstances are very rare so it's a social convention to simplify the interaction in according the inside with the outside. But i never wanted to play that game, it's both a sort of protection and a sort of filter, if they are people willing to discover who i really am, it's through talking with me it will happen, not from my appearance.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Maybe more often with women! But i don't talk much about it...
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I'm a female in a patriarchal society, so my gendered society allows me to wear "feminine" clothes, but tolerate also that i dress in a slightly masculine way, like wearing pants, but not too masculine, otherwise i could be identified as lesbian, butch or transgender, like if any of that was wrong, and get insulted or harrassed.
The same opposite happen if i dress in a too feminine way, or some what could say "sexy", "sluty", i would be misunderstood about my intentions either way. So clothes are totally political, they are never neutral, because they all happen in a certain context.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I don't think i have any of those. I don't really know what they mean anyway...
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A new jeans, that grow TWO size in the washing. It reminded me to stick to the second hand clothes and avoid like pest brands store.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Some part of my "look" is tending on a childish vibes. It's more like trying to pursue link with an innocence that got lost long time ago and child imagery that makes me wear hairclips and combing my hair like a nice and wise kid.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I don't think so... Maybe, everyone has his own expression style but... i can't say!
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Maybe i will wear my favourite clothes, or wear jewellery that remind me of something positive. But i don't recall particular moment...
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
For clothing, no, it's still in process and i guess it imply to TRY a lot of different style and type of clothes, which i didn't yet!
In general, i could say i had strong taste of what i like, don't like, what makes me fell comfortable or not.
I would say it mostly related to how i feel, if i feel relaxed at the idea of tea, or green, or a person, or a voice, then it's good for me i guess!
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Probably, but i don't remember.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Smiling and making cut my hair! Getting a shower or a bath! Wearing my favourite necklace.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable implies to me: no stress, no anxiety, no doubt and a positive energy. And i think it's the same with confidence applied in a more general way, sense + mind
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Be kind to you
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Nature never fail. What is true!
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Lying, faking. Trying to hard to pretend. Being mean.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes, you have to try it and spend some minute in it, doing any kind of movements, if it's comfortable and soft, it's good! Or if you feel awesome on it!
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I really don't know, that a question i can't stop wondering, but never had a clue.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
What is the weather? What am going to do?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
Not being naked... putting my favourite colors on me? I really don't have any goals...beside not being naked or cold.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up, is to make WAY MORE effort than usual dressing, i guess.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Purple flared pants, blue shirt, green sweater, brown shoes.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Relaxed clothes is me, dressed up clothes is not me.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Middle class, i suppose i dress modestly like a middle class not trying to imitate upper class.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
I was sick, so it was hell from everything.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Trying not to wear a worn clothes
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
Depends if the uniform conform to my standard or not!
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Jeans or pants/ shorts, t-shirt/shirt, sweater, sneakers
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
Would hate being a man, i hate the values associated to them, i wouldn't mind at all being dress like a man.
"The clothes do not make the man"
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
Not at all.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Outch, i look like that. Or "I feel so huge in real and then i'm just so tiny".
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
I don't remember...
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
Trying to negate all the thing that makes me, me.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
The same things, i'm great the way my body is right now!
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
I dress to feel comfortable, not freezing, or not to be over dressed. If i can repel all the perverts and bad minded men, i would be really glad. But i know it's not clothes that change a thing to be harassed, stalkers harass women for the pleasure of harassing us, not because we put red socks or white t-shirt, or a rainbow skirt. They harass us to make us feel uncomfortable. Clothes are nothing about this behaviour.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
No, women dress the way you feel awesome! The rest i don't care!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Nope! I hate it! Usually people that perfume put far too much!
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Washing? Combing my hair in what i find a pretty way.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Make up can eventually be used for a party, for fun, otherwise i look like a fraud with.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Underwear, socks, pants, shorts, shirts, t-shirts, cardigans, sweaters, dresses, skirts, coats, hats, scarves, gloves, pyjamas, swimsuit, shoes.
Necklaces, bracelets, hairclips, belts.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
A necklace bought in Italy, that remind me of one of my granny.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
It is a waistcoat i made myself some years ago, looks like a sort shepherd waistcoat (like the sheepskin one without the sheepskin), i like how i made it and the finishing and all, but seriously how to wear it when you live in a city?
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Some pair of pants that fit me like glove and that i love, i would say any kind of clothes that are on heavy rotation in my wardrobe!!
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
A dress, a vintage one, because she's so unique and had lived many lives and i repaired it last year and i hope she will live almost forever! I feel a duty as taking care of it!
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Taking time to test what i like as a style, what shape suit me best, if the clothes is really fitting me, ext...
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
A wind-breaker coat! I didn't have a proper coat for winter when i had moved to a northern city and it was a great investment i wear it everyday when the weather is cold, snowy or rainy! But it start to show sign of time and it lost his impermeability...
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Buying new clothes that lost his shape after three wears or that stream dye for a year in the machine washing process, or that simply break, for me it was time to question the industry and what i wanted to wear, answer: something that last!!
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Shoes that are not trainers, like city shoes but waterproof and that last!
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
A drawers for pants, another for knit sweaters, another for underwear, a whole one is dedicated to the knitted items, I hang shirts, t-shirts, skirts, dresses, i even stitched a system to organize my shoes in it!
I like keeping things neat! And i regularly sort what to give and what to keep, especially since my weight is stable.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
Yes! A necklace! I thought it was personal to the person that gave it to me, so i take good care of it!
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
A very simple striped t-shirt, never imagined i could put it on so much, and as soon as clean and wet, on again! I guess i love t-shirt, stripes and green, this item have it all haha!
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
As i like to shop slowly, i regularly anticipate my needs, when an item show signs of time i tell myself it's time to see if i can find another similar at second hand shop, i usually made a general check up of all my needs and keep it in mind when i go shopping because i know that in second hand shop you don't always find (fit in) the clothes you need and want. Sometimes it's good luck and i find 2 or 3 items, so many times i go back home with nothing, and i know i'm a procrastinator sewer so i stopped fooling me at "i'm gonna make it".
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I suppose i smell like my soap... and i like how my soap smell! The answer is probably no, i don't care.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I think it remind me to be humble! And to sweep in front of my door before giving lesson to others, "changing myself then maybe having ambitions to change the world".
80. How does money fit into all this?
Second hand shop are cheap, so money is not a problem and i'm thrifty, but on the other hand i'm starting to tell me that i should invest in very good quality for shoes as i save money buying second hand...
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
My hairclips!! Yes, i feel it "dress" my hair! I had several and i made them myself, so i can change depends my moods.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
It's the second person i met that presume that i'm a catholic, nothing against believer but that's totally not me, not my background, at all! So how come did they end up thinking this? Is this something i should consider that comes from my looks? Or that comes with the own clichés of the this people?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
That famous vintage handmade dress! I feel invisible 90% of the time in the streets but when i put on this one, i feel like if i was Marilyn Monroe, and EVERY SINGLE MAN is disgustingly looking at me like in a parody of roger rabbit. So scary! I felt like i was a hunted deer!!
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
1987, in France and i still live there!
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Proud single! Married with my cat!
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I had a really strong hate relationship with myself, i used to self harm and i also had period where i had to take medicine for depression (which makes me take a lot of weight, and changed my body that i already hated), i found feminism and it really helped me to take of my shoulders the burden of guilt and feel of never being great enough to look good and being loved, to be obsessed by the way I LOOK more than the person I AM. I since found great friends to support me through all these battles and i now feel loved. I also could give up with giving no shit to social conventions to a lot of "beauty rituals" women are groomed and pushed to do, like shaving, make up, ext... I never fitted in these rituals and it always felt like a burden to comply doing it, so now i just don't and can focus on how i feel, what i care on a more positive way, i no longer fear to LOOK imperfect because i'm great the way i am, i only have one life and i have been so sad and unhappy for such a long time that i decided to make peace with me and treated me like my best friend. So i'm hairy, i have scars, i have stretch marks, i start to have white hair and i think it's great!! It's great because i'm considering myself like a masterpiece of the nature, because i'm alive and i could never thoughts i could live to be old enough to have white hair and wrinkles! I started to have a totally different point of view and i choose the point of view of viewing people like pieces of Art, we are masterpieces of nature and we all are beautiful the way we are, and we should focus on positive things because life is so unfair and hard and we live in a such violent and unequal worlds so, let's treat us with love. We have only one life.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Like there is plenty of thing i had never give thoughts of! And that i should, maybe start to think of! And starting with a new wardrobe clean up NOW!
I'm a feminist, i support women, people of colors and LGBTI rights, i'm an activist, i'm interested in social issues, also environmental.