Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When wearing all black
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Absolutely! I'd like to say that I notice everyone - young or old, high or low. But I definitely tend to admire the 30 & 40 year old women of the Upper East Side, with their polished looks and amazing style.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I lack confidence in my appearance, so women who present themselves how they want and not for anyone else is something I admire.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Not yet. I'm a 22 year old who just graduated from college and think I'm still trying to figure out what my personal style is. But I think I'm slowly but surely getting there - I know what I like and don't like.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
J.Crew Long Sleeve Painter Tees and J.Crew 4" Chino Shorts in all colors. Simple. Easy to throw on. Easy to dress up and dress down. Jack Rogers Sandals (either Platinum or White) because I buy a pair and within the year, they are so broken in and dirty that I insist on getting a clean pair.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I have given many jewelry pieces from J.Crew as gifts - it is all quite simple and timeless, and I notice that my friends wear the pieces frequently, so those were good buys. I have also purchased a number of amazing gifts from Pennyweights, a small jewelry boutique in Connecticut.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Crop tops - I look terrible in them.
Highly distressed denim - why would you pay so much money for so little denim?
Gaucho, gazebo, or any wide-leg pants - they remind me of pirate pants, and also, very unflattering on me.
There are certainly plenty more, but these came to my mind immediately.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother and I have very similar body types, though she is a bit smaller than me now. We have bigger hips, thighs, and legs - so short shorts were never something we chose to wear. We have longer torsos, so sometimes tops can be way too short on us, and we have to buy Tall in certain stores.
My mom has a very classic wardrobe - she works in a corporate office building in Connecticut, so she owns a lot of nice suits, button downs, sweater sets, dress pants and skirts. I'd say her go-to stores would be J.Crew, Ralph Lauren, and J. McLaughlin.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Oh my god, 8th to 9th grade is definitely when my sense of fashion woke up and realized that my brothers hand-me-down clothing was no longer acceptable.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I wouldn't say so.
16. Please describe your body.
5'8". Bigger hips, thighs, and calves attributed to years of playing ice hockey. My stomach is my problem area that I want to constantly cover. Small boobs (36B). Shoulders and collarbone are my favorite asset to show off, but I hate my upper arms (I used to NEVER wear tank tops, but have slowly gotten over that).
17. Please describe your mind.
A jumble of thoughts - friends always think that I am the level-headed, mature one - but really, my mind and thoughts are all over the place. There is a lot of uncertainty in there.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Again, friends say that I am level-headed, but if someone even thinks about yelling at me, I will burst into tears. I am terrible in that regard when it comes to authority. Sometimes, I don't even mean to cry, and the tears just flow. As for happiness, I honestly can't tell you the last time I was truly happy, which kinda sucks, but I'm working on that. I can pretty angry or agitated at very minute things (especially while behind the wheel...oops).
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I am wearing a black long sleeve tee, denim shorts, and strappy snakeskin sandals. I have Tiffany Bean earrings and my TAG Heuer watch on that I wear everyday. I am wearing tinted moisturizer and mascara, and my hair is in a topknot.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I would say that my Bean Earrings and TAG watch are truly the only important items on me right now, as they were gifts from my parents and godmother, respectively.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My mother and my friends from high school.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I'd say that they don't?
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I certainly hope that I have good taste and style. Good taste to me is recognizing the quality and uniqueness of something, while good style is the ability to combine and put pieces together to create a look that you're proud of.
At the moment, with a college-grad bank account, I'm spending a lot of money at H&M and T.J. Maxx, but I do try to limit it and look at care instructions and quality of the product before purchasing.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Actually, it happened to me probably two hours ago, at the Sports Authority Closing Sale. Really, I read some signs wrong and spent WAYYY more than I thought I would, but couldn't say no and put stuff back - and it's all final sale since the stores are closing. I sat in my car, mumbling at myself that I was an idiot. So. Not. Pleased.
But there have certainly been many more instances where I have bought something and NEVER worn it.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Wearing black and throwing heels on.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
March 14th, 1994. I was born in Stamford, CT, and I grew up in New Canaan, CT, where I still reside.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I am a descendant of Clan Campbell of Scotland, and travel to the country once a year.
What kind of work do you do?
I am currently unemployed - I work in retail but I do not consider that full-time employment, or where I want to be for the rest of my life. I would like to work on the corporate side of a retail store.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I am perpetually single!
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I just read an NY Times article by Leanne Shapton about her complicated relationship with glossy magazines, saw that she contributed to this book, landed on this website, and found my way to this survey!
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I feel like I skimped on the harder questions - I had meetings all morning and could not find the brain power to answer the longer questions. But the questions were very well written, and it was fun to go through!