Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
After I've had sex with my boyfriend.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women who have an effortless style or attitude. I notice women who are able to hold a lot of bags and read a book while riding the subway, and not look out of breath.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Yes, when I started sleeping with men I unconsciously began dressing much more feminine.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Binge-shopping at thrift stores, buying items without trying them on, forgetting to return items.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Wearing red lipstick when my hair is dyed red. Wearing black pants for weeks on end.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Grey t-shirts. I haven't found the perfect one yet.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave my younger sister an expensive romper last summer that she still tells me she loves.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Peplum tops, very long skirts, gradient-dyed hair. I'm not that adventurous in my exploration of trends.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother and I have almost the exact same body. Small chest, thin waist, full asses and hips, long legs. Is that "pear shaped"? I've always hated that phrase.
She's been a mother for 25 years and her style reflects that. She always been more conservative than me. I have a dress of hers that she wore when she was pregnant with me that I love.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I've borrowed/stolen many of my mother's rings.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes, when I was 21 I started dressing much more feminine. This is also the year I started drinking, going to bars, and sleeping with men. My change of style and attitude increased the male attention I got ten fold.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
No. I used to not shave under my arms and not wear make-up because that's what I thought a feminist should do.
16. Please describe your body.
Thin neck, blonde-red hair, soft belly, thick thighs and ass, perky tits.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Black nike shorts, and a plain, loose tee shirt. My hair is in a loose bun that is falling out, and I have some make-up on from 12 hours ago.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My boyfriend, my mother, my sister.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I think a lot about how "artists" are supposed to dress, but it doesn't affect my choices.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I try to. Taste is more important. Taste implies being smart in all aspects of life.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
My hair is thin, so having bangs and knowing how to give it volume makes me feel like a wizard.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like when it comes to clothing. That discernment comes from simply dressing myself for the 20 years. My taste in furniture and architecture comes from my parents. My art is art is influenced by my boyfriend.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I wear red lipstick and line my eyes carefully and cover up the redness on my face. I dye my hair, and wear it up, usually. I wear bottoms that accentuate my ass and legs. I wear earrings.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Feeling ease and comfort with another person.
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
I've never had one, but I always thought I would like to have a uniform at school or work.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
No, and I that bothers me.
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
I think I look sad or angry, when I rarely am.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
My parents have told me this story many times: When I was three years old they woke up to me yelling in my sleep "I want to wear purple!" I loved the color purple and they couldn't realistically dress me in it every day.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
Yes, I enjoy dressing to excite my boyfriend.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
I need to be wearing fitted clothing free of stains or cat hair. I need my hair to be clean, and I prefer to have make-up on.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
I have going out clothing, work clothing, and workout clothing. I own many pairs of earrings, but very few necklaces or bracelets.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
My leather jacket, my jean jacket, my wool winter coat, my big wool scarf. I hate being cold.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I had a black scarf that I lost the first day of my senior year of undergrad. It was a gift and I regret losing it.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My leather jacket.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
I keep my clothing in our spare room closet, and everything derails into piles around the room every few weeks.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I shop for clothes when I have money, and when I'm with my sister.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Yes, I like to smell clean, with a little lavender and cigarette smoke.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I want to be a professor, so I sometimes like to dress as if I am one.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I'm still young and I don't ever have much money. Much of my wardrobe has been gifts.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Yes, I wear a silver ring with a spinable inlay that was originally my mothers.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I've been with my boyfriend for several years. I'm eager to become a mother.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I am a grad student.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Like I should write more.