Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When my skin is clear and I'm a little drunk and I'm wearing matching underwear and have put some thought into my outfit.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Women that are wearing something I would wear.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Wearing things that are purposefully unflattering.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
This year I have really realized that I don't care all that much. Comfort is key lol. I shaved my head, I mostly wear plain t shirts and overalls. I dress up for events. Probably because I got a 9-5 job and didn't feel like putting that much effort into my appearance. I like it more though. I feel more androgynous and queer and simple and focused.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I try to only buy 100% cotton shirts because polyester bothers my skin and gives me anxiety. I try to just not buy that many clothes.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I read Mari Kondo's book about cleaning and now I just don't care about sentimentality that much and then I got rid of 70% of my closet.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I'm trying to simplify and do everything with purpose. Only wear clothes I like (even if they're simple), only make work I like etc. Trying to be focused and present in everything.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I own two white short overalls and two black overalls and 9 of the same old navy shirt in 4 different colors. They are comfy and convenient and soft and nice.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Anything that involves buying some "ethnic" fashion at Urban Outfitters because even if the cultural appropriation line is somewhat blurry it seems pretty obvious that it's shitty for a large corporation to make money off of the culture of any marginalized group.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I mean she wears a lot of Old Navy, she keeps it simple I guess but I wouldn't really wear anything she wears.
16. Please describe your body.
I'm short and my body is chill it functions and gets me places and lately I've been active and my body is sore and it feels good. I'm skinny by all accounts but I'm also very short and my legs are not pencils and pants are always too tight and too long.
17. Please describe your mind.
My mind is constantly creating anxiety but I'm working on it. We're doing better now. The more I tend to my body the less anxious my mind is. I don't really have self-image issues, just energy that needs to go somewhere. My mind is creative if I give it the space to be.
18. Please describe your emotions.
My emotions are annoying sometimes, like today when someone I had to call for work was rude and so five hours later, 20 minutes ago, I was crying about it. Mostly I love my emotions though. Even my anxiety means that I'm not depressed. It's when I feel nothing that things are truly not good.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm wearing underwear from target and a light grey shirt from old navy and nothing else. My head is shaved and it sits there like it always does and I love it.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I look back on my old clothes and I feel such a disconnect. Right now I feel like me mostly, but that's becoming less and less centered around my appearance. That's not to be some enlightened better than other people thing it just happened and most of my friends look cooler than me and I am fine with that and it is all good. I used to be really anxious and would buy a lot of clothes to fill that time/void etc. and being slightly less anxious means I do that less.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My best friend sometimes, opinions, etc.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I'm a photographer and I hope I have a style I try to but sometimes I don't think it works.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
I have gotten better. I used to buy so many things.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
March 21st 1996. Seattle, WA. Ventura, CA.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
I'm white, middle class, remotely jewish.
What kind of work do you do?
I'm an accounting assistant and a photographer/writer.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
I am single.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I was reading Sheila Heti's interview on Rookie with Mari Lodi and it led me here. I write and take photos for Rookie.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
I feel like I need to focus and do the yoga video that I came on the internet for.