Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm happy.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Admire: Elegant, looking busy
notice: too much make-up, too colorful clothes, too loud, grumpy old ladies who cannot stand young women just because they're young.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
being an influential individual though dressing and looking and acting (very) feminin (in the classical sense)
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
In Opera I dress in jeans, t-shirt and sport-shoes so everybody can see I am working. don't remember when it started. important: not too sexy because of authority reasons
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
rarely feminin colors. No princes--stuff
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
rarely feminin colors. No princes--stuff
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
With Theresa (good friend) about dressing as a director's assistant
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
T-Shirts. Shoes. Like both. Wear both a lot
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
the new stomach-free stuff. My stomach is not made for it. yet. and never to work because of to much skin. and maybe i am to old/responsible...
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
it has. In a more modern version.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
of course. the sneakers thing from melina (best friend)
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
from time to time you invent yourself again
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
not too feminin
16. Please describe your body.
lean, kind of fit.
17. Please describe your mind.
wants to be busy. if not depressed. if yes very happy
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
comfortable dress. black-white stripes. black cardigan. naked face. short-out-grown haircut nothing in the hair
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
in that way, that it is an exception from the rule. i went to work in that dress.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
at work in the above described way. in everything else i try to dress on purpose not too formal or elegant FOR an institution. If it happens I get angry at myself.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
i think i have both. means i know how to represent my inner self to the outside. though it's schizophrenic sometimes
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
yes. 100€ for a jeans by meltin' pot. about 12 years ago
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
yes. stage-rehearsal Meistersinger. No main-character was there. Trombone-Player getting on my nerves. and I had just quit my job. I knew my boss would be watching my work very closely
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
My decisiveness comes from being very judgy.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My father told me how to walk on high heels.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
red lip-stick. black clothes.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
comfortable means lazy. confident means feeling good in your skin because you know what you do and you know it is right.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
concentrate on the important stuff
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
passion for your work
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
if i'm buying stuff because i want to buy something without finding something I usually end up not wearing it. So now I buy food then or wine.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
Depends on where I'm going. usually i imagine people I definitely will meet to be the outer eye.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
what kind of underwear. it depends on what kind of jeans or i will wear
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
dressing everyday. dressing up has a motive. sometimes dressing up can go wrong.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Black skinny Jeans. Dark blue Shirt. Black leather-jacket. Brown leather boots. Sunglasses.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
me: skinny jeans
not me: girly princess-stuff
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
cultural background: catholic-bavarian
influence: i don't know
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
in puberty my wardrobe was quite colorful. i wore glasses so i didn't use make-up. I think I tried almost every style once.
In the beginning of my university-time i dressed more elegant than today, probably because all the shops suddenly were in my neighborhood.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
Trousers. Little or no make-up. Short hair, little or no hair product
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
never dressing up for the recipients of opera. (almost) never dress up. preferably wholes in my jeans.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
sometimes nice. sometimes not.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
trying to attract? maybe the latest crush. if there is one.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i have it. don't wear it. very dangerous if too much. soon too much.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Shave. peelings because of dry skin. bush my teeth. get my hair in order.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
most of the time light eye make-up, only lashes. depends.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
oktoberfest-look. people dress like this in Munich for almost 3 weeks in autumn. i hate it. most of the time they look trashy. I also don't like how it makes women look.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
a lot of underwear. I kind of collect underwear. about 8 pair of jeans of which i only wear two. about 20 t-shirt of which i only wear 8. A few dresses. mainly for summer. 2 or 3 i can also wear in winter. the summer dresses and skirts are mainly very long ones because under them you can move how you want..
jewlery not too much. i wear always the same earrings. 1 ring. 1 necklace for special occasions
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
dress with a too deep cleavage
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
the stuff i still have. the rest I've thrown out.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
I lost an almost new pullover. It was dark blue with transparent mesh at the side. I loved that one. Also I lost a designer-blouse that was also a little transparent but with orange-grey flowers
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy less. but better quality
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
leather jacket. from my first really earned money in theatre.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
from classical pianist to theatre person
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
a dress from a tv-series i love. a long red evening-gown
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
messy most of the time
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
earrings made of the bracelet of my dead grandmother. my cousins have the same ones.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
online. rarely outside.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
fresh washed clothes. washed with a lot of soap.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
having authority is necessary to become a successful director
80. How does money fit into all this?
i would buy more underwear if i had more money
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
earrings, watch, freitag-bag
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
18th may 1989
born in Immenstadt im Allgäu, Germany
live now in Munich, Germany
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
bavarian-catholic working parents
first university degree in the family
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I work as a directing assistant at one of the biggest opera houses.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?