Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I notice women like me
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
they seem so much more stylish a lot of the time, but not always - I feel I do not know how to dress
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I havent had that moment yet
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
baggy is good
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
as above, baggy is good
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I havent had one yet
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
cardies, leggings, padded coats - I just like them
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
im not too dissimilar - a little thinner but there is time yet
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
oh my gosh yes
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
early twenties - I sort of grew up too early
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
not in the slightest
16. Please describe your body.
inverted T - too broad in the shoulders, too narrow in the hips - just altogether too tomboyish and I dont like it
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
i have dips and highs, difficult to explain
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
im au naturel - just in jammies in bed - hair all over the place
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
it sort of feels comfortable
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
nobody really, except maybe online
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
not at all, I think
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
i think i have both - i just think i dont exhibit it much
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
no - there are too many to count
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
i would hope so
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
i would not say i know what i like - i just know what i like when i see it - its quite immediate - the same is true of pretty much everything in my life
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
not at all
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
perfume, more than anything else
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
be calm, be assured, be confident, be clean
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
34. What do you consider very ugly?
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
na - im rubbish at it
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
i dont get that association - to be honest, i try not to look. If everything seems neat enough, that is good enough for me
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
colour, more than anything else at all - depends on not just my mood, but the mood I want to have for the day
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
clean, pristine, clean lines and edges and good colour - no clashes please!
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
classical is me, modern is me
fuddy duddy is not me
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
white british, well brought up, I suppose you would call it a conservative background
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
oh yes - I have been to parties where I dressed to thrill and yes, it was a thrill, but different for the guys than it was for me - i sort of felt free
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
tone down, absolutely always - natural makeup, natural hair, calm clothes and colours
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
i dont do either
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
long denim skirt, knee length boots, roll neck sweater, warm woollen coat, floaty scarf, nice handbag and subdued jewellry
It just feels like me
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
no goodness no
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
i dont think so, not specifically - i like to be my own person
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
slinky dresses, fitted suits
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
i love it - i only wear it for special occasions
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
just plain cleanliness
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
im pretty minimal
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
bohemian - sort of interested but feel it doesnt suit me
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
lots of leggings, a few jumpers, a few jumper dresses, a couple of skirts, not much jewellry, a few pairs of ankle boots, no high heels, pretty plain really
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
I have a beautiful small italian handbag
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
I have a raincoat, yellow slicker style, i just thought would be useful but have never used
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
handbags and boots
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
yes - a few actually - i had a lovely long wool coat which I dearly miss - it was warm, it fitted beatifully and I really do not know why i did not keep it - moved house, i think
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
go for a proper fitting
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
the italian handbag and yes, i love it and use it for special occasions
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
i need just thr right dress - i cannot consolidate my shape
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
not at all
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
I have a pair of boots which were a last minute purchase but they have proved their worth
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
i like to smell clean
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
it doesnt really
80. How does money fit into all this?
it comes and goes - i buy what i can, when i can
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
no - well yes, but i dont feel comfortable saying
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
22 09 1970
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
nothing much to say - im pretty normal
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
im not quite what i expected
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
strangely happier about myself