Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm just about to leave the house in the morning or before going out. It lasts 5 minutes - until the next mirror/window/reflective object.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I am not the skinniest person. I can't be bothered to do anything about it since I've been the way I am for almost forever - however, I wish I would:
1. Dress a bit more appropriately for my body shape. I might do already but I have doubts.
2. Not care so much about it and wear what I want.
I admire women who can do that all the time. They look just good, they don't try hard, they just look happy with how things are. They don't even seem to care about being happy with how things are - they just are.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I cannot remember... It probably happened a few times though. I am quite an independent person so it's always been very personal but there must have been chats about not caring about what other people would think of what I wear.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
My answer last year: Not yet.
My answer now: I think I'm getting there and it's about being positive, optimistic, always efforts and constantly improving.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
No. Although I am always tempted to buy the same pair of shoes twice. I have big feet (UK9, US11 I think) and it's hard to find nice shoes. If I had more money I'll have two pairs of each of my favourite shoes. I wear the same pair all the time; they get damaged after 6 months then I spend up to 2 months trying to find the next perfect pair of shoes online (whilst I keep wearing the worn-out shoes).
Also I used to have 2 H&M black mini skirts that I would wear every day, with everything (top + skirt + black tights + trainers/brogues). Obviously, they slowly got destroyed. I had to throw one away a few months ago... the second one is getting more and more damaged and I cannot find them at H&M anymore. Tragic. I don't know what I'll do when the summer is over and I have to wear tights again.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Uggs and a lot of other trends. I follow trends but I almost consciously try to make trendy things look untrendy.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I think I wear too much navy blue and I'm not very adventurous which might be a result of my mum's relatively banal style.
Body wise we are very different but I inherited disgusting varicose veins which I've started to get attached to.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Maybe - although I won't admit it because I always did all I could to be as different as possible.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
No, it was quite gradual. It's still happening. Every day I gain a bit more confidence and every day I try new things.
16. Please describe your body.
17. Please describe your mind.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
On my body I've got Burts Bees moisturiser that is a bit glittery (it was a bit of a surprise when I first used it). On my face: moisturiser, foundation, black eyeliner, brown kohl and mascara. My hair: a small top knot.
I think I put some body oil on my arms this morning and I forgot to put some on my legs.
On my face I have Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water - my chin looks like a keyboard and I'm keen to eradicate the pimples, moisturiser, foundation, eye make up. I got my hair cut 2 weeks ago - a bob - and it's looking pretty crap now.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I've got taste but I'm not sure I've got style.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
A lot of times!
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I think I keep making things that could potentially be sexy really unsexy.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
The weather - I'm such a sweaty person, I need to be extra careful if it's going to be even just a bit sunny.
My mood...and boys - do I care today? Do I want a particular person to find me attractive? Maybe that guy is coming to the office today...
And finally, am I cycling to work today?
When those three things have been figured out, I will dress pretty quickly, just before leaving the house.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I work in a venue in East London where everyone is really casual. I tried to start 'Formal Fridays' to do something a bit different. It's not really working.
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
1. I'm fatter than I thought I was - that makes me upset then I get over it (by untagging myself, most of the time).
2. My hair looks shit. Fuck, I thought it was amazing.
3. WHY IS MY FACE SO RED?
4. Oh, this one is nice.
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
I had a Winona Ryder phase that lasted a week.
I wanted Meg Ryan and Gwyneth Paltrow short hair in the nineties - such a clever desire since I have brown hair and eyes, always keeping my expectations low.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
I don't even know where to start.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I can't do no make up in public.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
NothingI just bought a woollen hoodie from COS and I think it's perfect. It's been really hot lately but I did all I could to find a reason to wear it at least 5 minutes a day every day.
I have a blue shiny American Apparel bomber jacket that I love too. I love wearing it with more serious clothes - my friend calls my style nonchalant as I would wear nice posh clothes (for example a very formal knee length black skirt) with my shiny blue jacket.
And finally, a blue silk shirt I bought at Beacon's Closet when I was in New York in May.
My favourite pieces of clothes are all navy blue...
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
This is yet to happen but I did think of buying a 'it-bag' with my inheritance money after my grand-mum died last year. Just thinking about it, I really want someone to slap me now.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
It might be the case when I start wearing red lipstick in public.
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
Just anything that will look really good on me. Anything perfectly fitted.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I love going shopping on my own and take my time. I really love shopping centres (i.e.
￼Westfield). I feel really alone at Westfield and I love it. I never bump into anyone I know and
￼I just do whatever I want and feel like I'm being myself completely.
UPDATE: I do not like Westfield anymore. There is one that is an hour walk from my house. It's in the Olympic Park in London. I started walking along the Lea River to get to the park and Westfield but the walk is so beautiful and peaceful that getting to Westfield is now very intense and nightmare-ish.
￼I also love shopping online as that's where you will find special and rare and sometimes
￼hugely discounted stuff. I'm a great online shopper - especially when it comes to finding the
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
I tried so hard to smell like a grand-mother a few months ago. I really don't know why. I started washing myself with lavender soap and wearing Penhaligon's Lilly of the Valley fragrance.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
All my make up (see above). And obviously I wear the same shoes every day for 6 months (at the moment they're dark red Superga hi tops that were half price on their website).
Now: I now have 4 pairs of Superga trainers.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
Not really. One of my earliest style memories would be when I tied a huge bow to a plastic headband and the teacher made a comment and agreed with my mum that I was a bit special.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
02/05/1986, Namur, Belgium.
I live in London, UK.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Belgium is a little country that is very funny but not in the haha way.
I learned to love Belgium after moving to London. I appreciate the Belgian ability to compromise, the fact that we're very open-minded and liberal people, our conviviality and how important it is to us to be welcoming and convivial. I like that we don't take ourselves too seriously.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?