Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I spot strangers stealing glances at me (usually when I've made extra effort with my makeup or worn some new clothes)
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I'm fairly observant so I'd say I notice most people on the street, but the women that I notice/admire most are probably those who either appear to have everything "together" (you know, the ones that look like they could be the mums in a Cath Kidston catalogue) and those that aren't afraid to be bold and unconventional with they're style and try new things.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I love that we have such a versatile range of styles - you see guys and except from the odd one or two they generally tend to dress very similarly to one another... girls on the other hand (perhaps through the marketing in the fashion industry) have such a colourful array of different styles. I love the comradery between women who share an appreciation for the others style, a quick smile on the tube as a form of a nod of approvement, or asking a stranger where she got her coat because it's gorgeous... it's lovely.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Since joining art school in 2015 I've come across a whole spectrum of different styles and ways of presenting myself. Most people within the art community really couldn't give a damn what other people think about them or how they look which I think had a really positive affect on my own style... that sudden realisation that no matter what I wore - so long as I wore it with confidence - would look 10/10 really impacted the way I presented myself in public.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I have lots of pairs of the same Urban Outfitters trousers but in different colours haha - purely because they fit perfect and it's such a rare thing for me to find comfortable trousers which fit well. Same with Zara's stripey t-shirts!
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
Me and my sister joined together one year to get our mum a charm bracelet as a present (which our cousins also did for their mum and our mum for her mum etc etc). It's lovely to see her get excited about getting new charms for it whenever we're away as a piece of memorabilia for the trips.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I was never a fan of uggs when they were a big thing (I've never enjoyed boots in general actually - I think the last pair I had was when I was still at primary school haha)... I also never got on board with the bomber jackets last season, mostly because I didn't think they'd suit me and felt like they were pretty expensive for something that might go out of fashion soon...
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mum is a lot more petite than me! She is shorter and has a smaller waist! Until recently we've always shopped at different places and had very different styles, but, as I've gotten older we've started sharing a couple of things/shopping at the same places. The main difference I think is how she's toned down her style as she's gotten older - wearing mostly earthy tones and keeping it fairly minimal - whilst I'm still very much enjoying playing around with colour.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Almost all my dressing ideas have been stolen/borrowed/adapted from friends and family haha - they're my greatest influence! I love looking at the things my mum and her sisters used to wear when they were my age, and like I said before about being in an art school - everyone looks so damn cool all the time, the first thing I did when I was at uni was to go shopping for things that I can wear to feel just as cool and on trend as my peers.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Between year 11 and the start of Sixth Form at school! I guess it's got a lot to do with being able to wear your own clothes into school everyday instead of wearing a uniform, but when I started sixth form I through the rule book out completely and grew more confidence in my style and myself. I began trying to be as creative in my appearance as I was in my studies and it allowed for some disasters but also for some great looks!
16. Please describe your body.
I'm fairly tall (about 5'7"?) and kind of curvy I guess. I have a bum and boobs which means I also have thighs and a bit of a tummy too (because it's difficult to have one without the other right?).
17. Please describe your mind.
A bizarre but wonderful place haha! One of my favourite things about myself - I definitely wouldn't be myself if it weren't for my mind.
It's busy all the time trying to collect up new information through questionning, watching and listening - constantly observing, which is what allows me to be a great creative individual - although it does mean that a lot of information slips out and I forget my keys a lot, or where I put my phone, or to turn the oven off when I leave (!!!!)
18. Please describe your emotions.
Fairly private - if I ever talk to you about my emotions then you know you're someone I hold dear as it doesn't happen very often.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm in my flat and don't plan on leaving any time soon so right now I'm wearing an old pair of baggy trousers (pretty sure they've got watermelon juice and soup stains on them from earlier in the week oops) and a mustard yellow cosy jumper. I have no make-up on and my hair is pulled back into a messy ponytail (you don't want to know what my fringe looks like!).
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I love my baggy trousers for days when I really can't be bothered to make an effort or if I'm studying all day and just want to be comfortable.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
Pretty much everyone at some point or another!
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I'm at an art school at the minute and that heavily influences how creative you are with how you dress. No matter what you wear, there will always be someone who is challenging the norms more than you.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I guess I have a style?? It jumps between baggy, oversized clothes which I choose for comfort over anything else (bonus points if they're boys clothes) and cute Oliver Bonas/mumsy styles which make me feel like I have my life together... I guess I just see style as a kind of theme in the way I present myself.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
When I was still at school I spent £70 on a Cath Kidston bag which I used maybe twice? I don't know if bags count but that was definitely a waste of money (and £70 was a lot of saving up for an 11 year old oops)
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
In my art and illustrations for definite ! I tend to feel like if I set myself a theme (for example a set of 2 colours and a couple of specific materials) I can create better, more creative works of art. The element of restriction that you set upon yourself allows and pushes for more creativity.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
The last couple of weeks in fact I have felt very scattered and stressed. I've found that today is my first 'no make up day' for a long while as during this stressful period I would make a big effort to make myself up to look good and to feel at least happy with my appearance, if not for what I was feeling inside.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I reckon I just picked things up... I was very into fashion when I was younger and would make collages out of mums old fashion magasines ! I definitely learnt a lot through that.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Matching set of bra and pants is a definite for this! I also find that a standard smokey eye paired with a slightly scruffy up-do works nicely for capturing the sexy/alluring look.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable for me is wearing something I don't have to be worried about all the time (for example: not wearing a skirt that I'm constantly worried is being blown up by the wind or a t-shirt that's a little too fitted and have to worry about how my stomach looks when I sit down etc etc) and that comfort kind of allows for confidence...
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
No matter what you wear, wear it with confidence! Even if you don't feel that confident on the inside, fake it - eventually it'll spread and all eyes will be on you.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Birth date: 06/04/1997
Born: West Sussex, UK
Currently living: Surrey, London
What kind of work do you do?
Currently a Fine Art and Illustration student.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
Like I've put off a lot of my uni work hahaha