Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
• Right after my period is over, usually.
• When i’ve recently gained perspective about what my life is. Therefore feeling semi successful.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Futch women.
Women with swag. Intentional waring of clothes.
How they hold themselves.
Invisible queer women... futch women.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
How they hold themselves.
How they walk.
How they dress.
How they look at other people walking on the street.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Ugh no I mean I’m 27 years old and it’s clicking now— meaning I intentionally look at what people are waring as a way of advice. I’m a dancer and the delight in dressing up and looking polished is there but I am also queer and prefer a more futch lifestyle but also come from a femme upbringing. That’s still there when I shop I find myself attracted to femme-y things but then I’m like oh wait I won’t actually wear that though in real life.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
The “I shouldn’t be spending money right now...” as I purchase three things at two different stores.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
striped colored socks from H&M. Color pop coming from the sock is 👌🏽
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Yes. Over analyzing.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Girlfriend jeans from Gap. Can’t have enough but really can’t not wear the same pair every day of the week.
Also, when H&M has the purple, yellow, maroon, navy, green stripe socks. Can’t get over how they don’t still sell them.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I bought my girlfriend acid wash shorts that were her go to last summer. It made me proud.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
The all white outfits. I’ll probably conform eventually but it’s too bold I think. But, i’ve already bought white pants (gap girlfriend) so it’s maybe only a matter of time. I don’t think so though
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Hmmmm... not. Grandmother, yes. Button downs were her go to, I own some of them now.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Grandmother yes. Tank button downs
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I started dating women.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Futch. Not femme, not butch. Kind of a bro look but without the salmon shorts.
16. Please describe your body.
Small, Athletic. Dancer, Pilates.
17. Please describe your mind.
Over critical over analytical
Calm and collected
BLAGH in your face
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Boxers and sweatpants.
Hair down from my sleepbun.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Armor. Decor. Expression. Identity.
AM is a dancer, Pilates instructor, and dance teacher living in NY. Instagram: annmariego