Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Usually right when I wake up. (Although the mornings can also sometimes be when I feel the least attractive). But, on a good day, I like my dopey morning face and the way my bare legs feel when they rub together under a sheet. Plus, all of yesterday's bloat is gone!
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. I notice confidence I think more than anything. It's pretty fun to see a woman walking down the street and just feel her confidence.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire individuality. I admire women who look like themselves. Like their clothes or hair or whatever are just some effortless extension of their own personality.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Getting glasses had a lot to do with my own evolution of personal style. All of a sudden I had a focal piece to play with. Also, cat-eye eyeliner! it was the first dramatic move I made make-up wise and, I felt, totally defined my look for a while. Ooh, I never felt quite as stylish as when I had a pixie cut. I was also never talked to as much (mostly by women!) as when I had short hair. Every body was always saying nice things!
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I try not to buy anything except basics first hand! Which I think only works for me because I wouldn't even know where to start if I dressed myself from the rack. I don't have an eye for it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I pretend there are no rules and dress sexy for things that maybe you shouldn't and casual for things that maybe you shouldn't.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
In college a couple girlfriends and I would dress in each others clothes to go out (since nobody liked their own clothes and everybody liked everyone elses). After a while we realized HMM, maybe we need to approach our clothes the way our friends do. See them as fun etc.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Generally I try to do the sorts of things that make the 80 year old version of me happy. The sort of stuff that will make me the one with the good stories in the nursing home. But I also try to live by my own set of standards etc. I don't need a new fancy car because my friend does or whatever.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I buy pretty much every loose-fitting, scoop-neck, possibly for a male t-shirt I find at the goodwill. My go to look right now is a big comfy t-shirt with my all black pf flyers and American apparel jeans. No thinking!
I also buy a ton of weird colored bike shorts to wear under dresses (I must have 8) but I have literally never worn any of them...
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
I gave my mom a necklace from this shop on etsy that I loved and wanted and then (like the selfless angel I am not) gave to her for her birthday. She wears it a lot!
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I really hate the hi-low skirt/dress thing. I prefer more classic silhouettes and try not to buy anything too off the moment. Plus, I got booty and that look just doesn't work for my shape.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My ma is tall and very, very thin. I'm like 7 in shorter and while thin have a big 'ol booty like the women on my dad's side of the family. My mom is a nurse though and any of her clothes that aren't scrubs are mostly comfortable things. So I think my love of a big t-shirt comes from her.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Lord, all the time. My look is just a bastardization of whoever I think looks cool! In high school my best friend and I dressed a lot alike.
And I went to a small, quirky college and was totally surprised by how quickly I started to dress like the "It girl" (at least according to that school). I swear in college all I wore were jeans, hiking boots, over-sized sweaters, and red lips
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Chopping my hair off in college was a big thing I think. It also made me think more about my look in general.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I think I do a little bit. Whenever I dress sexy I am sort of thinking in my head "Yeah world, this is a woman ovah here." and when I don't dress sexy I am thinking "Yeah world, look at the many versions of me! I contain multitudes!"
16. Please describe your body.
I'm short. I have average sized breasts and a larger than average booty. I'm pale and have shoulder length hair (which is supposed to be brown but is currently pink). I've always been a little self-conscious of my legs (which aren't the willowy, knobby legs of every other girl in my family) and used to avoid shorts bc of this. Sometime in the past two years I stopped caring as much. I have some freckles on my nose and face.
17. Please describe your mind.
I have a pretty solid mind. I'd say it was my best feature if I wasn't also the most awkward person in the entire world.
18. Please describe your emotions.
All over the place. But I've come to embrace this. I feel things dramatically. We all do I think.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Wearing a vintage Bruce Springsteen concert t-shirt. My most worn t-shirt at the moment. And the sort of underpants that aren't my most cute but, like, if someone came over right now I wouldn't have to change. No make-up, hair down.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I think it is. I really found it helpful as a teen to give myself a look. It helps me feel like me in the world and, sometimes, helps me meet people who are similar to me or if not that seem to understand some of the things I do.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
06/06/90. Born in Illinois. Now living in LA.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
kind of like talking to a girlfriend.