Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I'm with someone that I know loves me.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I usually tend to admire women who are outspoken, loud, and opinionated.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire when women are comfortable with themselves. I admire when they don't need to wear makeup or clothes that make them look "attractive".
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I used to have terrible acne. I got it very young, and it lasted well into my teens. People used to come up to me on the street and try to give me advice about how to get rid of it, and I hated them all.
I'm not sure if something "clicked" in my mind as much as I just kind of accepted that it was never going to change. Eventually instead of hating myself, I started blaming everyone around me--society I guess.
I'm not sure if it changed anything, or was a particularly healthy way to go about it, but eventually my acne went away and I stopped caring so much.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I don't like to spend a lot of time shopping. I've always been a bit overweight and sometimes it's hard for me to find clothes that fit. I usually just want to get in and get out of clothing stores, so I often don't try enough things on and end up getting clothes that don't fit very well.
I'm not sure it's a "rule" per se, but I try to keep my shopping trips to an hour tops. I guess this actually ironically causes me to spend more time shopping as I have to return things and replace items.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
There are scars on my back and I think my arms are flabby, so I try to wear long sleeves--or I avoid tank-tops at least. Sometimes this sucks in the summer.
I like the look of regular jeans, but I only wear high-waisted ones because I have a bit of a belly.
I wouldn't recommend worrying about these things.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I was speaking to one of my closest friends a couple of years ago and he pointed out to me that things that are considered "beautiful" by society have always been things that are, at the time, associated with wealth. So, for example, having pale skin used to indicate that you didn't have to work in the fields--whereas now, having a tan means you have the money and leisure time to travel to exotic locales.
This stuck with me. It's really just arbitrary.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
No. No unified way. I usually let things go until I feel I MUST take care of them, and then I do. All at once.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
I buy the same shoes over and over again. I think this is just because I hate shoe shopping and I've memorized my size in this particular brand.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
No. I get kind of nervous when it comes to clothes, so I wouldn't presume to know anyone else's style.
I've bought presents for people (of clothes and jewelry) where it has gone poorly. I steer clear.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Yes, there have been some trends I've refused to participate in--but I'd say my refusal is almost always silly (particularly when I was younger). By that I mean that I was refusing because I was trying to be some kind of person that I didn't think would wear whatever it happened to be.
One thing I try to avoid are brands though, I think not having "Coca-Cola" or "GAP" on shirts is a good thing. I don't really want to explicitly be a billboard for a brand if I can help it.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother has a very negative relationship with her body. She had anorexia as a teen and was hospitalized. While she is much healthier now, I don't think she is over it by any stretch.
I think that I've really tried to reject a lot of what my mother (accidentally) taught me about fashion and body image.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I have an androgynous hairstyle, and a slightly androgynous look. People think I'm a lesbian a lot of the time, and I'm not, but I'm okay with the ambiguity.
I like having short hair because it takes less time to "do". I guess I like to have a "well-done style", but I'd rather not waste a lot of time making it look just right like I did growing up. Having short hair makes me feel like I look good, but I can, y'know read or something in the morning rather than spend hours straightening it or curling it.
So, I guess it is a little political.
16. Please describe your body.
I have short red hair and blue eyes. I have an oval face, I am 5 ft 7 inches tall, and have size 10 feet. I have broad-er shoulders and large breasts. My hips are large and curvy, my waist is about 31 inches around (if my jeans are correct). I have freckles all over my arms, but nowhere else. I have a lot of hair on my arms, but it's blonde so it's hard to see. I have scars on my back, and and moles on my legs. I have two tattoos, one on my wrist and one larger rose on my ribs.
17. Please describe your mind.
I am smart. I spend a lot of time thinking about my friends and what I can do for them. I spend a lot of time reading. I like to ask a lot of questions. I like to have long conversations.
18. Please describe your emotions.
I have depression. I'm pretty emotional. I get anxious when I'm alone.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Mascara, Eyeliner, brown eyebrow pencil, foundation, powder, and bright red lipstick.
Hair is done with wax. Pomp.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It feels important. I'm not sure if it is. I suppose it's a way of communicating, but I'm not sure exactly what it's all saying, or what I want it to say exactly.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
My friends, people who ask me about what I look like, my family.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
I waste a lot of money on shoes because I ruin them so quickly.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I think I have more of a refined taste for books.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
If I know I have to "get things done", or have any sort of busy day ahead of me, I usually dress more comfortably.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Not really. I don't have a very innovative taste in fashion. It's not particularly intuitive or knowledgeable.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Sept 11, 1991. Born in Oakville, Ontario. Raised and currently living in Toronto.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Scottish, French Canadian, and Aboriginal.
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?