Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Hair pulled back, light makeup, jeans, heels and a pretty blouse.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I love looking at women! The look I enjoy most is a natural, slightly bohemian style. Also, athletic women with a gentle muscular definition. But no style looks good unless the woman carries herself with ease and confidence.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Confidence, grace and humility.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I turned 30, my very beautiful and fashion-forward friend insisted we film our own private What Not To Wear. We went to the mall and I had to try on ANYTHING she suggested. I realized that some clothing looks really good on my body that I never would have imagined. I also bought my first pair of high heels!I
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I never shop at the discount stores. Almost all of my friend's do and find wonderful items. I don't have the attention span or patience to sort through all those clothes! I need to see an outfit on a mannequin.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
I don't like heels with skinny jeans (on my body.)
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Nothing comes to mind.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Authenticity is very important to me. I strive to express myself honestly, completely and with an open heart and mind. Personal decency is equally important. Be good to yourself and others.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans - very hard to find a style that fits me.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
I don't dress according to trends, I wear what looks good on my body and in the style that I like.
That being said, the 80s fashion era should have never happened!
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
Oh god, it was not! My mother did not take care or effort to carefully choose clothing that reflected who she was. She was not a very confident person and often said she didn't care how she looked.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I don't know anyone who wears my size so I haven't borrowed clothing, but sometimes a special piece of jewelry for a nice event.
If I see a friend wearing something that I like I might consider how such an item would look on my body.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
Yes, when I turned 30 and my fashion-forward friend insisted I stop wearing men's jeans and buy some heels!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
I am petite with a curvy Venus shape. I'm currently working on becoming more athletic and it's beginning to show in my posture and shape.
17. Please describe your mind.
While I struggle with self-doubt and some insecurities, I am mostly confident, creative and considerate. I see the world in color and complexities, with a scientific mind and humorous edge. I'm not one to follow the rules...
18. Please describe your emotions.
I am often grateful, content, inquisitive and happy!
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
I'm wearing running shoes, slightly form-fitting exercise pants, a v-neck tshirt with a sports bra. I'm wearing a headband and my hair is pinned up off my neck.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
Wearing athletic clothes is comfortable and let's me feel free to move my body any way I want. It reflects the confidence I have in my body and shows that fitness is a big piece of my life.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
Mostly they don't, though I suppose if I were to enter a bank to ask for a loan I'd dress more conservatively than I normally do. I think it would convey that I am fiscally responsible and serious.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I definitely have taste! It's difficult for me to have style right now with a toddler pulling on my clothes at all hours.
I think taste is much more important, it encompasses all of life.
To me, taste is the appreciation of a higher esthetic and comes from within. Style is what you put on your body and how you carry that off.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Beautiful heels that I just could not comfortably walk in.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
The show What Not to Wear has helped me learn tricks to best dress my body shape, but I can't say it feels like I'm getting away with anything.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Oh yes! Home decor, art, landscaping, cooking...
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I tend to wear heels at events where there is a lot of standing and mingling. I am 5' 1" so even with heels I am often shorter than most.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
July 15. I was born and still live in Connecticut.
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Middle-class white girl, french-italian-polish heritage.
What kind of work do you do?
I'm a licensed massage therapist.
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Married with one four year old son.
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I like that I follow the beat of my own drum and tend to think outside the box.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?