Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I've had time to put myself together. Usually with good music and a bit of dancing.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I totally keep an eye out for other fashionistas. I want to appreciate and maybe appropriate some of their style ideas in my own way. I always notice women that are comfortable in their skin and truly showing their personality.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Being unique. Being themselves and sharing it through fashion. Being different and owning it. Color. Class.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
I don't think there was a moment. It's ever evolving. And thankfully I was wildly experimenting when I was quite young so there aren't too many things I regret.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Realizing that every person wants different things from their clothes and appreciate that. I'm always curious as to why people choose things, the thought behind it.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
A-line patterned skirts, basic t-shirts, pointy toe flats, wide-legged jeans. These are things that I enjoy wearing and are basics to me. The rest is the extra oomph.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
For my best friend it is easy.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Drop crotch harem pants. I tried them on but have too long of a torso.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mother's body is very different from mine. I'm tall and boyish and she is average height and curvy. I adopted some of her style because she had a lot of 60s qualities which I love.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
A million! Too many to remember.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I feel like my style and life became more mature when I turned 30. And I think that's appropriate. However, I'm still told that I dress like a kindergartener because of all the color!
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
Only free speech
16. Please describe your body.
Long. Tall drink of water. Getting a little more curve as I age.
17. Please describe your mind.
I like to have time to mull things over. I hate making quick decisions.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Life is hard right now. I feel like 2 months ago I took a turn in the opposite direction of where I was going. Time to readjust and get ready to kick ass again.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Crazy floral multicolor african print 50s style sundress. Kate Spade perfume. Natural, 5 minute make up. Hair is as always messy.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's very important. I want to put out into the world who I am and I think clothing is a big part of that.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
I think there is a time and a place for most anything.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have my own style and taste.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Things I buy on sale and never wear.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Empire waist dresses to make me look longer.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
Always for presentations or important meetings I take extra care. Under garments must be cute, match the outfit, and hold up under the outfit. Hair is actually done for once. More tailored, tame work wear. Be taken seriously.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like in fashion. An all things artistic. The rest is a bit of a hodge podge and not quite decided.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
I am my own maker when it comes to fashion.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Perfume! Clothes that show what I feel best about at that time.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
I think that is the person's responsibility to find out if they care. Push boundaries. Figure out what works for you.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
As fast as possible! Preferably planned the night before.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To be me.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
One is necessity. The other is fun.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
60s. Hands down. Free.
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
Be yourself. If you think it looks good, others will too. And if they don't, they don't get you and who cares!
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Love it. Wear things to express how I feel and compliment my clothing. Very seasonal.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Vintage ball gown from the 70s. Bought it to wear to a gala and wore something else instead. Still might find an occasion.
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
Black suit. Sadly the pants no longer fit.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Organized by item and then color.
80. How does money fit into all this?
I feel like my style is a reflection that I don't have a lot of money and still can achieve my style goals.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
03/22/78 Oregon Portland, Oregon
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Single, no kids
How do you feel after filling out this survey?