Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
Just shaved head, spiked earrings and a dress that hides my tummy but shows off my legs with flats/sandals that show my lovely tapered ankles.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
I do. I tend to notice any woman who's wearing something bold or colourful. I admire women who seem effortlessly put together or women you can feel confidence emanating from.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Hair, for sure. The first time I cut my hair short, I knew it fit me. I grew out my hair for a couple years and recently shaved it off, and I felt the proverbial weight being dropped off and me coming back into myself.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
buy cheap clothes.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
fake leather jackets. They make me feel bad-ass and hopefully one day I'll be able to afford real ones.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
crop tops because I don't like my belly.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I don't think my mom's style has been passed on to me. She has good taste, but for herself she tends to wear flashier (read: feathers, sequins, sparkles, tassels) things than I ever would.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I went from verified tomboy wearing sweatsuits to a somewhat girly tomboy wearing every bright colour imaginable and cloche hats when I was in highschool.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I stopped shaving I think as some part of political statement, but continued due to laziness. So, I guess wearing dresses with untrimmed body hair is political in a way.
16. Please describe your body.
a bit above average height. defined cheekbones. small facial features. boobs of two different sizes. built-into-my -body love handles, soft belly. undefinable waist. strong, long legs. lovely ankles, graceful feet. very soft (to the touch arms. amazingly clear skin. I like it. for the most part.
17. Please describe your mind.
apathetic yet inquisitive. willing to learn, wanting to empathize and understand. sharp, quick-witted. enjoys initiating conversations with itself. not great at analysis.
18. Please describe your emotions.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
wearing: tank top and pyjama bottoms
face: bare as per usual
hair: short and unbrushed.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
important because despite all the messages that all that matters is on the inside, it's just not true. your appearance is important. but more important is your attitude about it.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
shirt over a dress: instant skirt.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
work - scrubs. (best uniform ever!)
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
low-waisted jeans and tight shirts.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I've never worn it. Though, sometimes I'd just like to have the ability to wear it and look good.
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
very comfortable clothes. loud cardigans. lots of fake gauge earrings at the moment.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a vintage linen dress with a pearl collar. I've kept it because one day I might have a place to wear it to.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
buy quality basics.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
wool winter coat.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
messy. no rhyme or reason.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
80. How does money fit into all this?
I wish I had more so that I wouldn't have to buy fast fashion pieces that are terrible quality.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
When I was 14, I was at a sleepover wearing boxer shorts and someone told me that I had really great legs. Still true, my legs are fantastic.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
What kind of work do you do?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
it was interesting to examine feelings around what I wear.