Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When someone is attracted to me and I'm attracted to them too.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. Women who look unpretentious and comfortable in their own skin but are also incredibly well groomed and put together.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
Being well groomed. Clean hair, painted nails. Women who wear what I already own but have put it together so it looks edgy and stands out. Women that look amazing in jeans and a t shirt because of the attention to detail.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
Never! I'm still searching for the click. Everytime I move cities (which is often) I feel I have to reinvent myself because my look is out of context somehow. I wish I could be a Jane Birkin or Emanuelle Alt with a uniform that works internationally.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I pick what I want to buy online and then go to the store to try on and buy the item.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
When in doubt wear jeans.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
The California uniform of jeans. Growing up with a very British and classist background where dressing formally for dinner was de rigueur its so refreshing living in California where jeans are acceptable at even the most upscale places.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
I like to be laid back and keep it simple. I move a lot so don't own a lot of possessions and try to keep my wardrobe very efficient and edited. I have very few close relationships and change jobs regularly.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Jeans and boots. Each season I buy a new pair of jeans and shoes with a few tops to match. I love dresses in summer and can never get enough.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
The 'it' bag. I have a miu miu bag that is unidentifiable. It's gorgeous, it's high quality, it suits my style but it doesn't scream I am designer.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
My mum always dresses like an older person and has never worn jeans. I have finally got her into a pair and she looks hot and so much younger.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
I have a friend who is Australian but grew up in California and she is the queen of keeping it simple.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
I left Australia and my family's formal expectations behind.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
I won't buy anything where the label can be seen. I don't believe in paying exorbitant money to advertise for a label. I also try not to buy anything made in a sweat shop.
16. Please describe your body.
Slightly overweight pear shape with a mushroom top and flabby arms.
17. Please describe your mind.
Creative yet logical. Open minded and appreciative of tastes different to my own.Opinionated but easily influenced. I would never, ever get a tattoo but I love and admire the art of tattoos and people who have the courage to wear them.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Highly emotional and excitable.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
Bootleg jeans, heeled boots, chambray shirt tucked in with rolled up sleeves. My hair is long and straight with swept bangs so looks a little undone and tussled. My everyday make up which is tinted sunscreen, bronzer, mascara, groomed, pencilled eyebrows and neutral lipstick.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
I love good quality and hate wearing things that aren't well made. I often buy expensive items to make sure it is good quality and become very disappointed if the item does not live up to my expectations. I appreciate expensive fabrics and impeccable tailoring. I dress for mood, comfort, how the item feels to touch and how it makes me feel.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
I have one friend I talk to about fashion. Fashion is all we have in common. She's one of my best friends. Our tastes are very different but we both love clothes and appreciate each others style. Our favourite thing is to have lunch and a wine at Greengrass and then head downstairs for a alcohol fueled shop at Barneys.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
They generally require some sort of uniform be it written or unwritten. I was taught to conform so I hate it and avoid these situations at all costs.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
Taste would be preferences. Style would be how those preferences appear when put together. For example taste would be liking op shop clothes but the style from that preference could be classic, retro or quirky. So yes I have my own unique tastes and style.
My taste is quality and classic clothing. My style would probably be best described as classic.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Christian Louboutin shoes. I'd worn them a couple of times and the inner sock came undone. I took them back to the store only to be told I wore them too much!! These shoes are made only to be worn on the red carpet.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Put on a coat and heel boots and you look stylish and put together, even if you're wearing sweat pants underneath.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
I like making new places a home and try different styles according to the character of the place. This is something where quality is not so important because I know I will sell it when I move again so I mix high with low and buy from markets and garage sales a lot. My home style changes regularly.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
No. Generally the best days I've had is when I'm wearing someone elses clothes or have put an outfit together out of necessity rather than choices. Ie walk of shame outfit with half boyfriend clothes.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Being well groomed. Clean hair, no make up, sun tan, smooth legs, painted nails and not much on.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
Comfortable are clothes that fit properly and move with you.
Confident is something that comes from within.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
Simple and classic with a penchant for expensive jewels.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Fabrics that feel and look good.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Clothes that don't have any tailoring.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
A look that says I didn't try very hard, I feel comfortable and I'm ready for anything.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Jeans and white tee
In winter with boots, coat and felt hat
In summer with espadrilles, straw hat and aviators
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
Urgh! I try so hard and look like shit.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
I often dream I am a fashion designer.
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
Same but I would look better.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
No. I just want to feel comfortable and look good.
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Love, love perfume and feel naked without it. Always looking for a new scent.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
Tinted sunscreen and moisturiser. Always!
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
Dressing up. Too much work and people end up behaving badly anyway.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
An a line navy skirt made by comme des garcons when I was 15. I still own it would still wear it if it fit.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
Romeo Gigli pants. The tailoring was amazing and they fit perfectly.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
Very neat and organised. Always editing and making sure I only have necessities. I also plan seasons ahead.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
Often. Usually the white shirt you think you don't need or the shoes I can't resist but
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
I shop for clothes online and constantly looking for the white tee or summer shoe or winter boot or winter coat.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
People say I have my own unique style and I'm not sure what that is but it never sounds positive.
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
My mum brought a very expensive tartan skirt and red cape back from the UK when I was three. They felt incredible on and were different to anything anyone around me wore. I felt so good in them and they were cozy too. I think I recognised quality and wanted more of it. My mum says from a very young age I refused to wear shoes that weren't leather.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
January 16, born Sydney Australia live in Los Angeles
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Middle class, expensive education, titled relatives with no money
What kind of work do you do?
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
married with two step children in college
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I love fashion but hate getting dressed. At home I am either naked or in a robe
How do you feel after filling out this survey?