Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I take my time to shower, get my hair done right and put some makeup on. Usually on weekends, not so likely on weekdays.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes, stylish or elegant woman.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
The way the combine their clothes, the proportions, the quality and material also.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I was 14, when I saw Teen Vogue for the first time, I fell in love with fashion. Usually in Mexico the majority of woman don´t dress well, they overaccesorize, they mix and match colors, patterns, and in general have bad taste. So when I saw this high fashion magazine I loved it. Makeup has been a more slow approach, both my grandma and mother love and always apply makeup, they spend money and loved good quality. I didn´t fell in love with it until recent years through Youtube, I began to understand it more and became obsessed.
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
Think about the quality of the clothing. Think about the shape of my body and try to balance it.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Mix styles and patterns.
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
I don't remember.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
Boots and makeup. The boots i don't know and makeup because I sometimes justify it to myself telling me that the colors, textures, finishes are different.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
A pair of italian leather gloves to my mother.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Lots! Crop tops, peplum, birkenstocks, mom jeans, boyfriend jeans, androgynous shoes, crocs, ugg boots, neon, etc. Because either it was really unflattering for my body shape, not elegant or just plain ugly.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
It's almost exactly like mine, pear shaped. Her style is really cool and laidback but tasteful, she always appears to be younger but in a good way, not a cougar way. She is really happy with her age (57) although she appears to be 48-50.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Yes, I'm always borrowing ideas or inspiration from both.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
When I went to a very snobby, rich school and I had to adapt to it, but it changed all my way of dressing positively.
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Pear shaped, a little flat chested, medium complexion, medium skin, curly hair, 5'5'.
17. Please describe your mind.
Disorganized and full of ideas.
18. Please describe your emotions.
From outside a little shy and serious but i'm really really really sensitive.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
braided hair, pijamas, clean face.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
it´s comfortable to sleep.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
my mom, boyfriend, best friend, boss.
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
A lot, I work on a corporative job and it's boring because it has lots of rules about clothing.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
I think I have both, I think they're kind of the same thing.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
A biker jacket in Paris.
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
How to mix proportions, everyone is really surprised when I'm on a bikini or little dress and see that I have big hips.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
Yes, on interior decoration and even on my graphic design job. I think it's part of the same thing, to educate your eye for balanced taste and style.
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
Sometimes, because I'm a little indecisive I like a little bit of everything.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
Yes, to match things, to take care of them, to choose better quality over quantity.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
Smokey eye or red lips, to have a blowout and a flattering dress.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
For me it's an aspiration of the Parisian chic style. They seem to just be effortless in their clothes, makeup, hair.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
To invest in pieces you love and that are functional to your lifestyle.
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
In general photography but in clothing I love architectural dresses.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Vulgar clothes, lots of colors at the same time, items loaded in logos.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Yes. No, it's an instinct.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I think I want to appear elegant but not frumpy or outdated.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
Climate, the people i'm ging to be with, the way i feel that day, the laundry.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
To express myself.
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
One it's just putting on clothes and the other one it's caring and planning how you look.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Skinny jeans, flats or boots, trench coat, a blouse and a hobo bag.
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
Me: tall flat boots. Not me: a crop top.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
Upper middle class in Mexico, it has influenced me because people are always trying to appear more rich, white, American, and I don't think like that.
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
When I was in highschool I dress very boho, I guess I was exploring my options.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
a blowout, a flawless foundation and a dress.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I dress by the rules but always combine colors differently or accesorize so it's not that boring.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
A summer dress and flats. It's flattering, comfortable and makes me happy.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
That i look really different from what I perceive myself (in a bad way).
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
Natalie Portman, 60's french actresses, Garance Dore, Vivianna from Viviannadoesmakeup, etc.
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
a jumpsuit and high heels.
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
The same things.
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
Always, i love it.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Waxing, exfoliation, painting my nails.
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
It's a big part of it, i love it.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
Lots of it and mixed in styles.
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My pearl earrings, my watch, my handbag, my black boots, my jeans.
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
a hippy denim-chiffon skirt. because it was one of the first things I bought after I lost weight and it seemed fabulous but i could't pair it with anything.
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
The things I thought before purchase them and the most expensive ones.
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My Marc Jacobs bag.
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
Invest in pieces I would wear and plan what I buy. And search for quality and not quantity.
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
My nude pumps, yes, all the time.
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
A leather jacket.
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
The pearl earring my mom gave me.
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
a dress, I still use it every summer.
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Sometimes I try to restrict myself but other times I just impulsively shop.
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Always clean, and with perfume.
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
I don't know.
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
My leather wallet.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
In secondary school, I was a bit chubby and very concious of how the clothes would fit and I wanted to look different in them.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
23/10/89 Mexico city and Mexico city
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
Upper middle class living in Latinamerica
What kind of work do you do?
Graphic design, marketing and communication
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
How do you feel after filling out this survey?