Read Surveys (By Author)
1. When do you feel at your most attractive?
When I come home from work after a long day of "Thank you for your time." and "How can I help you?". The second I come in the door I fling off all my clothes down to my skivvies. My thick blonde mane is always a little unruly and my make up is quite splotchy showing all my dozens of angry pimples and their red graves they leave behind. But as I get ready to pull my matted hair up and melt that make up off my face, I look into the mirror. And with dark raccoon eyes I think, damn! That's me. I work hard, and it shows. But I'm beautiful.
2. Do you notice women on the street? If so, what sort of women do you tend to notice or admire?
Yes. I notice everyone. I tend to notice people who seem either exceptionally happy or the all too common, out of their way upset. I admire their ability to be able to publicly show their emotions. Whether good or bad, they aren't hiding. I also notice any and all kinds of wide leg pants.
3. What are some things you admire about how other women present themselves?
I admire confidence. Which is completely different from ego. I admire a women being able to think, "yeah, I know I am beautiful. No more or no less than everyone else, but I am beautiful." Confidence is so rare these days.
4. Was there a moment in your life when something “clicked” for you about fashion or dressing or make-up or hair? What? Why did it happen then, do you think?
When I looked in the mirror and I saw the women my current fiance created. Luckily I saw myself knocking on the inside of my pupil screaming "HEY! Don't forget about me!" The next day I left my fiance and moved into my very first apartment and wore all the wide leg pants and hippie clothes I never thought I could before!
5. What are some shopping rules you wouldn’t necessarily recommend to others but which you follow?
I (almost) never buy new. Thrift thrift thrift. It's my secret weapon. Shhhhh.
6. What are some rules about dressing you follow, but you wouldn't necessarily recommend to others?
Comfort is my number one concern. I will take an outfit off that might look stellar just because I don't feel comfortable in it at that time. There may be a different time where it feels good, but I always go for comfort!
7. What is the most transformative conversation you have ever had on the subject of fashion or style?
Ones with myself.
8. Do you have a unified way of approaching your life, work, relationships, finances, chores, etc.? Please explain.
Change makes my world go round.
9. Are there any clothing (or related) items that you have in multiple? Why do you think you keep buying this thing?
WIDE LEG PANTS. So versatile and so comfortable.
10. Have you ever successfully given someone a present of jewelry or clothing that you continue to feel good about?
No, those are things I think people should buy for themselves.
11. Is there any fashion trend you’ve refused to participate in and why?
Don't knock it until you try it.
12. Can you say a bit about how your mother’s body and style has been passed down to you, or not?
I might take after my father more than my mother.
13. Have you stolen, borrowed or adapted any dressing ideas or actual items from friends or family?
Of course. We all do that. We are all a collection of everything we've seen or heard. No one is original.
14. Was there a point in your life when your style changed dramatically? What happened?
See number 4 :)
15. Is there anything political about the way you dress?
16. Please describe your body.
Tall, thin, lanky, pale.
17. Please describe your mind.
Open and vast.
18. Please describe your emotions.
Flowing and ever changing.
19. What are you wearing on your body and face, and how is your hair done, right at this moment?
linen pants, multiple pattern long sleeve button up tucked in. Hair up in a chopsticks bun. cc cream and mascara.
20. In what way is this stuff important, if at all?
It's like when people decorate their yards for holidays. Who cares what your yard looks like? Well, people do. And people like to give other people something nice to look at.
21. With whom do you talk about clothes?
22. How do institutions affect the way you dress?
In more ways than we can ever list.
23. Do you think you have taste or style? Which one is more important? What do these words mean to you?
They don't mean much to me and I don't know if I posses them. I think they're relative.
24. Do you remember the biggest waste of money you ever made on an item of clothing?
Padded bra from Victoria's Secret. I let my mosquito bites live free now!!! WHEEEE!
25. Are there any dressing tricks you’ve invented or learned that make you feel like you’re getting away with something?
Better to be a little baggy than a little tight.
26. Do you have style in any areas of your life aside from fashion?
27. Can you recall some times when you have dressed a particular way to calm yourself or gain a sense of control over a situation that scared you?
I dress myself in salt water and bubbles when I'm scared.
28. Would you say you “know what you like” in the area of fashion and clothing? If so, do you also know what you like in other areas of life, that is, are you generally good at discernment? Can you say where your discernment comes from, if you have it? Or if you don’t have it, why or why not?
I know what I like currently, But that's always changing. Every time i see something new.
29. Did your parents teach you things about clothing, care for your clothing, dressing or style? What lessons do you remember? Or did you just pick things up?
My mom instilled things in my head about pinching my cheeks and looking girly. I've held on to some but not all of them.
30. What sorts of things do you do, clothing or make-up or hair- wise, to feel sexy or alluring?
I dance in the mirror. In some sexyish undergarments.
31. Many people say they want to feel “comfortable,” or that they admire people who seem “confident.” What do these words really mean to you?
They mean the same thing to me. That someone is confident in themselves enough to be comfortable.
32. If dressing were the only thing you did, and you were considered an expert and asked to explain your style philosophy, what would you say?
33. What is really beautiful, for you, in general?
Life. Everything about it. Everything around us is essentially a miracle.
34. What do you consider very ugly?
Negativity. Thinking you're better than someone or something.
35. Are you generally a good judge of whether what you buy will end up being worn? Have you figured out how to know in advance?
Oh no. I'm an impulse buyer who doesn't try things on.
36. When you look at yourself before going out, and you are trying to see yourself from the outside, can you describe a bit about what this “other person” is like? What do they like, dislike, what sorts of judgments do they have? Is this “outer eye” based on someone you know or once knew?
I only have one person in me these days. She seems happy with how things are going.
37. What is your process getting dressed in the morning? What are you considering?
COMFORT!!!!!!!!!! I try on 235 things until I feel the most comfortable which for me also means most confident.
38. What are you trying to achieve when you dress?
39. What, for you, is the difference between dressing and dressing up?
Dressing up to me, means dressing "for" something or someone else.
40. If you had to wear a “uniform” what would it look like?
Long sleeve v neck baggyish dress and barefoot!
41. What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
I'm always changing.
42. What is your cultural background and how has that influenced how you dress?
43. Do you remember a time in your life when you dressed quite differently from how you do now? Can you describe it and what it was all about for you?
At every crucial life changing part of my life I had a different "style". I would have to tell you my life story to explain how I dressed.
44. What sorts of things do you do, clothing, make-up or hair-wise, to feel professional?
I tuck in my shirt or wear heels.
45. How do you conform to or rebel against the dress expectations at your workplace?
I just dress how I want and no one says anything otherwise.
46. Do you have a dress code, a school uniform, or a uniform that you wear for an extracurricular activity?
47. Are there ways in which you conform to or rebel against these uniforms?
48. Do you find it comforting or constraining to have a uniform?
If it's comfortable.
49. What is an archetypal outfit for you; one that you could have happily worn at any point in your life? What do you like about it?
Dress. So easy and comfy.
50. Do you ever wish you were a man or could dress like a man or had a man’s body? Was there ever a time in the past?
51. If there was one country or culture or era that you had to live in, fashion-wise, what would it be?
52. Do you consider yourself photogenic?
In my own way/
53. When you see yourself in photographs, what do you think?
54. Are there any figures from culture, past or present, whose style you admire or have drawn from?
50's & 60's
55. Have you ever had a dream that involved clothes?
56. What would be a difficult or uncomfortable look for you to try and achieve?
57. If you were totally comfortable with your body, or your body was a bit closer to what you wish it was like, what would you wear?
58. Is there anyone that you are trying to attract or repel when you dress?
My husband. Attract, not repel.
59. Are there any dressing rules you’d want to convey to other women?
60. What do you think of perfume? Do you wear it?
YUCK! Rub an orange on your neck.
61. What are some things you need to do to your body or clothes in order to feel presentable?
Under eye concealer
62. How does makeup fit into all this for you?
I wear it sometimes. Still a tad self conscious about my acne.
63. Is there a certain look you feel you’re expected to like that you have absolutely no interest in? What is it? Why aren’t you interested?
64. Can you describe in a basic way what you own, clothing and jewelry-wise?
65. What is your favorite piece of clothing or jewelry that you own?
My wedding ring and my XCIV wide leg denim pants
66. Tell us about something in your closet that you keep but never wear. What is it, why don’t you wear it, and why do you keep it?
Tight corset dress. But be comfortable someday/
67. Looking back at all your purchases over the past five to fifteen years, can you generalize about what sorts of things were the most valuable to buy?
Things on sale
68. Is there an item of clothing that you once owned, but no longer own, and still think about or wish you had back? What was it, what happened to it, and why do you want it back?
69. If you had to throw out all your clothes but keep one thing, what would you keep?
My crochet and ruffle dress
70. Building up your wardrobe from nothing, what would you do differently this time?
71. What’s the first “investment” item you bought? Do you still own or wear it?
72. Was there ever an important or paradigm-shifting purchase in your life?
73. What item of clothing are you still (or have you forever been) on the hunt for?
CONCHO BELT like JIM MORRISON'S
74. What are your closet and drawers like? Do you keep things neat, etc?
messy drawers, color coordinated closet.
75. Were you ever given a present of clothing or jewelry that especially touched you?
A Baltic Amber necklace with a bug in it
76. Did you ever buy an article of clothing without giving it much thought, only to have it prove much more valuable as time went on? What was the item and what happened?
77. How and when do you shop for clothes?
Random thrifting on random days
78. Do you like to smell a certain way?
Natural and clean
79. How does how you dress play into your ambitions for yourself?
80. How does money fit into all this?
81. Is there an article of clothing, a piece of make-up, or an accessory that you carry with you or wear every day?
Chapstick, watch, wedding ring.
82. Did anyone ever say anything to you that made you see yourself differently, on a physical and especially sartorial level?
A good friend once asked me, "Who are you trying to impress?" When I didn't have an answer I ripped off my padded bra and let my babies breathe!
83. Do you remember the first time you were conscious of what you were wearing? Can you describe this moment and what it was about?
I always am.
What’s your birth date? Where were you born and where do you live now?
Say anything you like about your cultural/ethnic/economic background.
What kind of work do you do?
Manager at Non Profit Museum
Are you single, married, do you have kids, etc.?
Please say anything you like about yourself that might put this survey into some sort of context.
I know who I am and I love me because no one else is like me and that makes me a unique a rare collection of atoms.
How do you feel after filling out this survey?
It was a long survey but I hope someone else benefits from it.
I notice strange details that others might miss but sometimes I miss things that are right in front of my face. I'm unpredictable. I'm constantly changing but my heart stays the same. I care a lot about people but not a lot about what they think of me. I know who I am and I like myself. Which apparently these days is rare. I you're reading this right now, just know that you are unique and beautiful and amazing and there is no one in the entire solar system like you. So embrace that. Be proud of that. No one can take that away from you.